“Magical!!”
Review of Shiraume

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Shiraume
Ranked #1 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Plano, Texas
“Magical!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I had an absolutely delightful one night stay at Shiraume in mid-May. When we planned our first trip to Japan, we wanted to have a ryokan experience. After reading reviews of Shiraume on TripAdvisor, we knew it would be the ideal place, and it definitely lived up to all the glowing reviews. It truly was a magical experience - from the location in Gion on the beautiful Shirakawa Stream to the lovely room, relaxing Jacuzzi, and delicious food. What makes this place extra special, though, is the warm hospitality and service of the owner Tomoko and her staff. There are so many thoughtful touches that make guests feel welcome and pampered. Tomoko shares fascinating stories about her life, the history and sights of Japan, and the origins of the food served. We stayed and had our meals served to us in the Umekoyomi room, which I would highly recommend. It is on the first floor right on the canal. You have a private bathroom and are across the hallway from the Jacuzzi. Looking out at the canal and listening to the peaceful sound of the flowing water was so calming. We left Shiraume feeling renewed and refreshed. If you are looking for a perfect ryokan stay, you will be completely happy with Shiraume.

Room Tip: Umekoyomi room was perfect for a couple. It was a spacious, very private room at the end of a hallw...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maryga12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Switzerland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our travel agent, Palm Travel, wanted to put us up in a regular business-hotel like a Hyatt or Hilton. We like those hotels when appropriate but visiting Kyoto with its long history without staying in a traditional Ryokan did not feel right. Therefore, we searched for a suitable place in Tripadvisor and found the Shiraume. And how well this paid off. An amazing experience! It's difficult to describe the mix of superb hospitality, enormous charm and yet luxurious privacy one can find in the Shiraume hotel. We learned that this place has a long history, being run by its owners in the 7th generation, first as a Geisha tea house and since after 1950 as a hotel - all this time owned and run only by women. We loved the place and highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ogentank
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The reviews below have already said so much about the beauty of Shiraume so I will just pick a couple of things not mentioned so far. We stayed in a room w private onsen and had dinner and breakfast there. It was pricy but worth it!
I really loved how they treated the seasonal ingredients with so much respect and used all local produce in their meals. Tomoko san did a fantastic job in telling stories and introducing these ingredients that are very foreign to us. It was a real pleasant experience.
The toiletries were fantastic. To the girls who have had a rough time in the sun and travelling, this is a dream break to really take care of your skin and hair using the products and the onsen provided.
Overall a really lovely experience. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank connie l
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hard to really add to all the amazing reviews, but I am so relieved that I picked this ryokan!! It is definitely on the slightly pricy side but it is 150% worth every penny. We had the umemi room and it was lovely.. It was the highlight of our 14 day trip and we are so glad it was at the end! Tomoko is everything the reviews say. In fact, I had even emailed her prior to our trip for restaurant recs in kyoto as well as luggage forwarding and she was so helpful over email even before we checked in! In person she is the epitome of a gracious host, as well as one of her room attendants satoko (?). They both were so friendly and answered our many questions about japanese culture. The ryokan is utteraly beautiful and wonderfully situated. To boot, on top of everything, this was hands down the top meals I have ever had in japan and even as a foodie in NYC! Make sure to at least have breakfast in the common area which overlooks the river and is so charming!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

It's very difficult to choose the right Ryokan with a choice of top ones in similar bracket. Well I haven't stayed at an any of those but I am glad that I chose this one. My wife and I stayed at Shiraume for one night. I wanted to get the traditional Japanese experience and we got just that. Upon arrival we were told to relax and treat the place like home and we did just that Tomoko and her staff go out of their way to make your stay memorable.
Tomoko herself is charming and a wealth of information. The property has been in her family for generations. We ate the traditional kazeki dinner which was delicious and a culinary adventure. The room itself was very comfortable. Like others I was a little dubious about sleeping on a futon but it was extremely comfortable.
The location is perfect, right in the heart of the Gion district. We were lucky enough to see a few real live Geisha walking around near the hotel.
I have one warning about this hotel and that that is, Make sure that book early enough so as to make sure that you get in!

Tomoko - Thanks so much for a truly memorable experience that we will always remember!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oldskooltrav
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We went to Kyoto for one day trip only for Shiraume, which highly recommended on website. The fact is, all the reviews did not exaggerate. We took a cab from Kyoto station which cost 1200yen around 11am, Tomoko welcomed us at entrance and kept our luggage. Since it's our first time visit in Kyoto so Tomoko suggested us to the Kiyomizu Temple about 25 minutes walk from Gion.
When we were back, everything was in the room even my coat was hanged in the closet! Our staff is Satoko, a tender, young lady who speaks fluent English. She introduced room facility, served welcome tea and candy afterwards.
The dinner was really a big deal, at first time I thought the quantity of each dish could not meet my demands. However, as more and more dishes served by Satoko and Tomoko, we felt full soon. The seasonl dishes were remarkable such as Kobe beef and sesame icecream.
We booked a room with private bathtub but unfortunately the Jaccuzi was soooooo awesome so we didn't wash in our own bathtub, a quite pity.
Sleeping night was peaceful and joyful until next morning. We took a short jogging along the river side and left with great satisfication. Tomoko gave us some elegant souvenir at last.
Only one day made me feel so happy. There's not a single flaw at this place, I swear I would come back. Hope could get a vacant room no matter what!
Many thanks to Tomoko and all her staff!!!

Room Tip: Book the room in advance would be better
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lit_J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked this Ryokan because I wanted to have an affordable experience is a traditional Japanese Ryokan bed and breakfast and this is everything you can expect of this experience and more.

Location, service, rooms, traditional Japanese jacuzzi, Japanese breakfast, an unbelievable 10 dishes Japanese kaisei dinner, I can find absolutely nothing negative about the place, everything was superb, but the service specially was one of the best I had ever experience. Great thanks to Tomoko and the rest of the all female cast!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family