“Even more wonderful than expected”
Review of Shiraume

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Shiraume
Ranked #1 of 395 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in January and seriously loved it - we echo everything written by previous reviewers and more. We initially thought this would be a once in a lifetime visit but we are already planning to return next year to once again enjoy this wonderful ryokan. Thank you to Tomoko and her all her staff for making our first visit to Kyoto so wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NikNakRoyMac

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I tried to book this ryokan for my May stay. Unfortuantely this place is fully booked. Still, I would like to give a review on the service quality . The owner kindly replied my booking request, saying it is full, and sametime, she provided quite a few good names for my reference. I then asked her some questions on different ryokans, such as locations, food etc. She replied quickly with very detailed information.

I have to say, even though I don't have the chance to live in this place, I am sure the service quality is outstanding. Given the owner is willing to spend her time to help some strangers, and she knows that we wont spend money in her ryokan. We are highly touched and appreciated by her service and help!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank sky-sh
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I were on our first time trip to Japan and therefore decided to stop over for 1 night in Kyoto. We did not regret our move even though we had to move our luggage from Osaka and then to Tokyo after 1 night in Kyoto. It's definitely the best stay in Japan. Although its pricey but it's worth it. From the location, to service to room to food... There is no fault we can find. We so love the service provided by Tomoko and her staff.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the top floor, 4 of us in this amazing room with 2 modern toilet ( the one with warm seats and rinse and dry function) and one bathroom with the wooden bath and shower facility.

Breakfast was the best we had during our 10 day trips in jap.

We wish we could have dinner here as well.

Service was amazing eg. The owner who speaks perfect english checked the train time table for us before we thought of asking her!

Not to mention the perfect loction. Quiet but close to all main sites.

Best time to stay would be march when the 100 years old plum tree blossom orApr when the whole street covers with cherry blossom.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Pumpkin422
Reviewed March 14, 2013

once in a lifetime experience.

convenient location.

we didn't have the dinner because my husband is allergic to fish.
however there are a number of restaurants around the hotel (turn left out of entrance, then next right, and there are two meat ones (barbecue and steak) within a few hundred metres.
starbucks a 10 minute walk.
we did have breakfast at the ryokan and it was really good quality food (and great coffee) - Tomoko explained the origins of all the fruits.

the staff really can't do enough for you here - i would definitely recommend for a japanese experience.

some points of information:
1) Don't leave the floor heating on overnight. Our hosts told us to turn it off when we went to bed, we ignored them as it was quite a cold night - and paid the price! We were sweating in our sleep!
2) You can smoke in the rooms
3) You can easily walk to the subway
4) There are no English TV channels - but they have a handful of English films in their library - we borrowed the day after tomorrow and played it on the DVD player

I would like to stay again if I go back to Kyoto - the location is good, the ryokan is beautiful and the staff's attention to detail is amazing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank houndgirl1980
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Shiraume was a splurge for us but worth every yen. The location is ideal—walking distance to lots of restaurants as well as to a terminal with busses to all the temples. The entrance over a little bridge couldn’t be more charming, right out of a painting, complete with water birds. The inside is just as beautiful. We especially enjoyed the steamy traditional bath (private, in this case), where you scrub first with fragrant soaps. Everything about Tomoko and the inn is gracious and elegant, no small touch overlooked. Tomoko’s English, by the way, is impeccable. But best of all was the dinner, without doubt one of the most memorable meals of our lives. The courses kept coming—each of them multi-tiered and almost too pretty to eat. The kobe beef melts in your mouth (and Tomoko will explain to you why it’s so good). In short, the reviews are all true. We loved Kyoto and adored being pampered at Shiraume. We had trouble tearing ourselves away!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan F
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Shiraume, we had breakfast everyday delivered to our room and dinner at the Ryokan on the second night, foods are so delicious and service is excellent. Tomoko make us feel like we are at home and informed us of all the places worth Seeing at Gion. I gave this Ryokan 10/10 for service, friendliness, and great food. The room is so spacious and we will come back again. Thank you Tomoko!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple