“It will leave a lasting impression of Kyoto for me”
Review of Shiraume

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Shiraume
Ranked #1 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed December 30, 2012

As a foreigner, what does it mean to visit kyoto? in my mind The Gion district is Kyoto in a nutshell and Shiraume is a little treasure. we stayed for two nights and I was amazed when we saw the front streetscape as if it came out of the movie Geisha. when we were first shown our room I was blown away by how traditional it was! Other reviewers have described the other charms of this ryokan so well I won't repeat them. The fuss and effort that they went to to make our stay memorable make this ryokan worthy of very high praise. When I close my eyes and think of Japan, some of the images from this wonderful place and this magical city will surely come back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank BSF G

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I decided to splurge on my last night in Japan and stay at Shiraume (mostly thanks to the amazing reviews on TripAdvisor), and I'm so glad I did.

Everything is amazing and perfect, and Tomoko, who runs the ryokan, was such a sweet and accommodating hostess.

I'm still dreaming about the amazing Japanese bath (an absolute must if you stay here), the tatami mats on heated floors (you'd think sleeping on a floor wouldn't be comfortable, but I can't remember a better night of sleep) and the traditional kaseiki dinner.

This place is worth every penny.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsapple
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got around to review this wonderful ryokan. We celebrated our older daughter's birthday there and the owner made everything so perfect for her! Even made the younger one feel special by celebrating her birthday few weeks early. We had the whole upstairs wing to ourselves and the rooms were clean and beautifully decorated. The owner was so sweet and she personally attended to every detail. Dressing up in Kimonos for dinner just made our experience there even more memorable! The dinner and breakfast were so delicately prepared and delicious. We definitely splurged with our one night stay here, but it was definitely worth the price! Will save up so next time we visit Kyoto we can stay at the Siraume again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank STJHoustonTX
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Shiraume is in a fantastic location in Gion, the place reeks of authenticity and charm. You will not regret staying here if you want both a Ryokan experience and be close to all the sights. The flowing river and bridge are really a plus and make the place feel very special!

You will not regret a stay here, and Tomoko is a real help even with the hard to get restaurant reservations!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mdbasile
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Shiraume was absolutely perfect. The ryokan is easy to find and centrally located while still remaining quiet; the setting is beautiful; the rooms were comfortable; the food was delicious; and the friendly hostess was fluent in English and helpful both in explaining the nature of the inn and how to navigate Kyoto. If you're a foreigner looking for an authentic and relaxing ryokan experience with utterly delicious food, stay at Shiraume.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank dr_topologist
Reviewed November 14, 2012

If there is one place you should stay in Japan it has to be here. I know when booking a stay in Japan, especially Kyoto the choice is overwhelming but you will not be disappointed with this place - it was the highlight of our entire trip.
From the start of emailing to the end of our visit, the service was faultless. We stayed here for one night in a beautiful room that had lovely views overlooking the river and street in front of the ryokan. The location is spot on - in fact I don't think you can get anywhere better. The food was incredible - my husband is gluten free which is not easy in japan but we still had the full dinner and was served to both of us. The room was wonderful - spacious, spotless and had a separate futon area so we didn't have to wait for a lie down! Tomoko was such a wonderful lady and made our stay that little bit special with al of her insights and interest in what we were doing.

Room Tip: The Umesono room was worth the extra money
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LeeanY
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

What more can I say?
Being our first trip to Japan, I had carefully selected Shiraume for our stay in Kyoto. Originally we had intended the stay to be at the start of October to meet up with family who were also on a trip to Japan. But as testament to how popular Shiraume is, they were fully booked. Tomokosan graciously referred us a few outstanding Ryokans ( which impressed me greatly as to how kind she is ) but instead we shifted our travel schedule around to November for 3 nights stay at Shiraume. I am really glad we did this.
First of all, Shiraume is located in the most perfect location. Within walking distance to Kiyomizu temple ( which I highly recommend, has the very charming traditional shops), Chion In temple with the magnificent gates ( our guide told us it was used in Last Samurai ? ), Located picturesque central Gion district ( the next tiny bridge crossing Shirakawa stream was used in Memoirs of Geisha)
We stayed in Umesono room, huge room, which is on the 2nd floor, but I'm pretty sure all rooms are great at Shiraume. Futons were super comfy. Our balcony overlooked the stream, which was beautiful to wake up and have coffee to. There is an espresso machine in the room that we used every day.
We loved the library too, it's good to sit around with a book after a big day, there's complimentary drinks available such as juice/ tea/ beer/ sake.... Very thoughtful.
Think we liked Shiraume so much because Tomoko took such good care of us... She gave us a map of Kyoto the first day and carefully explained the sights to see around the area. Thank you Tomoko for our beautiful stay.

• Stayed: November 2012