“Beautiful”
Review of Shiraume

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kyoto
Shiraume
Ranked #2 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Beautiful”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Shiraume was the most beautiful place we have ever stayed. The kaiseke dinner is a must! Do not look anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the little private garden - it was perfect!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Casey P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Booked a small ground floor room but was upgraded to a larger room upstairs. That's always a good start. This is an old ryokan that has been in the family generations, but it has had a smart very tasteful refurbishment. The decor is minimal but beautifully arranged. We had a wooden bath in our room ( actually 3 rooms attached by small corridor). The location, in a historic street beside a canal in Gion is fabulous. Our hostess was totally charming and worldly ( even though she is always attired in traditional dress) , fluent in English and was happy to give us advice on getting to temples etc. We had 3 nights here and had the kaiseiki dinner one night - wonderful 8 (or was it) 10 courses. The other 2 nights we ate at the Pontocho which is a 5 minute walk and has a huge selection of restaurants. All in all, a relaxed restful stay in an upmarket ryokan. A gem. Book early though - there are a small number of rooms and it is very popular.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chantman
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

For tourist stay- great for a night. Service really great. A lot of charm!!! Order dinner - it is worth it. It will be expensive but it is a ryokan after all. I loved this place.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Zaccun
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have visited Japan a number of times and Shiraume by far was the best ryokan experience I have ever had. My wife and I were a bit concerned by the price but it was well worth every penny. The service was fantastic, the room and ryokan were incredible and the food was DELICIOUS. Definitely go for the kaiseki dinner and japanese breakfast.

The two traditional bathhouse jacuzzi rooms (they are private but couples can use at the same time) were an added treat.

Even if you can only afford one night, Shiraume is worth it, just make sure it is your last night in Kyoto as everything else will not compare :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AbbeyandNate
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We went to Shiraume for our honeymoon, stayed 2 nights in the Umemi room.
Without repeating what were said below, having stayed at many ryokans, we thought Shiraume was the best.
Although the place is small, it is initimate, well thought out, with great attention to detail. Tomoko san is also the perfect host with interesting stories about ryokan tradition and excellent English.

What really stood out for me were:
The house is beautiful and amazing
Rooms clean, functional and tastefully decorated
Breakfast and dinners were delicious in a beautiful river facing room
Bathtubs were great and a real relaxation treat
Host Tomoko san and her staff were very attentive and lovely. They gave us a bottle of champagne and a small parting gift which were touching.

I highly recommend this ryokan even though price is on the steep side. It is at the heart of Gion and close to all temples and sites. I would definitely return again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Snowazzzz
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I recently returned from a stay at Shiraume and I have to say that this was one of the best hotel/ryokan experiences of my life. Tomoko the owner is so kind and gracious, the facilities are clean, beautiful and thoughtful - and the food is amazing. So delicious.

I have stayed at both Tawaraya and Hiiragiya and while those two establishments are fabulous in their own right, Shiraume I believe is in a better location - and offers the nice option of choosing board (dinner) as an optional item for each night. This was great as it allowed us to explore Kyoto dining options on our own some nights.

For more details also feel free to read my full review on my blog: http://www.featherfactor.com/2012/06/kyoto-shiraume-ryokan.html

Room Tip: I loved the second floor Umechirin room which had a full view of the canal, private bath and separat...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank featherfactor
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Go on and treat yourself, is what I say to anyone visiting Kyoto. This Ryokan, owners and staff just make it an amazing stay. Probably the best place I have ever stayed in, anywhere. Got a lovely suite of rooms upstairs and was made to feel very special and looked after. The rooms are stunning, hot baths wonderful and food was just amazing. The owner was so kind and helpful and the next part of our journey would not have been possible without her help. Just an amzing experience and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a japanese experience they will never forget.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor have a room to sleep at the back which is quieter, looks down on the pr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends