“Cheap but not good value.”

Kobe Sannomiya Union Hotel
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Very cheap for the location but you get what you pay.
First room we got was a smoking room(by mistake)- very very smelly, couldn't think of anything else.
But we've managed to get a non smoking room after talking to the reception.
Non smoking room was fine with the smell but it wasn't clean.
Lots of long hairs on beds, more hair on bathroom floor. Carpet in the room must have been hoovered but all stained from the age and really dirty feeling. Good job there were clean slippers provided.
Both of the 2 lifts going up to the rooms had sick smell too.
It is cheap but you can get at least a 'clean room' with not much extra yen in the area, i wouldn't choose this hotel next time. And I wouldn't recommend the place to anyone I know.
But I must say that the staffs are nice and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed March 1, 2014

The hotel has a great location ( about 10 min walking distance to the central train station Sannomiya and the city center and about 1 hour walking to the Nada district, passing through the trendy HAT district), has a very attractive room rate, free wifi in all areas, provides coffe/tea maker and refrigerator in the room; the size of the room is good, considering Japanese standards, the city view from my window was exciting (at the 15th floor), the soundproof is excellent and the service is impeccable - everything is spotless clean; the ventilation in the bathroom is very good. The reception staff is very efficient, too. I enjoyed my stay here. Another plus is the free shuttle bus in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Carmen E
Reviewed January 3, 2014

It's about 10+ minutes away from the hotel. The value is not bad with really good night view you can take pictures of if you stayed in a higher floor. The room is basic style, nothing fantastic.

Don't take its breakfast, there are lots of other breakfast choices when you enter train station or subway station area! If you want to all you can eat, you can take the breakfast.

btw, they can speak some English. however, still some of them don't speak any English

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhotoTrekkerWalomi
Reviewed April 14, 2013

very nice hotel!
decent room and utilities, theres vending machines and laundry area on the 2nd floor which i think is open all night :)

unfortunately no wifi, think you've got to be registered with softbank or something to get it and also unfortunately the staff do not really speak English. But other than that its pretty good :)
They also have a bus going from the hotel to Sannomiya station every morning and various times if you're looking to catch a train on the day you leave :)

very good location as its only a 15 minute walk from Sannomiya station and all the shops :) from there u can also go to the Kobe Tower area and Motomachi area :)
Behind Sannomiya station is where all the Kobe beef shops are by the way~

if you walk in the other direction you can go to the Earthquake museum :) which is quite educational!

Also there is a nice little Japanese restaurant just round the corner from the hotel. If when u get out of the hotel, walk right and then at the next junction (which is like 2 secs away!) turn left. you will see a coffee shop, a chinese restaurant and also a Japanese restaurant :) very decent food here :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yiki8
kokyakuhoni, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Kobe Sannomiya Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for your staying at UNIONHOTEL, and taking the time to share your feedback with this platform.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in Kobe.
We are so sorry, our English is poor. We try to improve so that it can speak English better.
We have a Wi-Fi for the lending. We are sorry at the information shortage.
However, Thank you for praising our hotel.
We hope that your travelling plans bring you back to Kobe and UNIONHOTEL.
Looking forward to seeing you again.

UNIONHOTEL
Clurk, Tarui

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights in the hotel in early October 2012 to attend a reunion (originally scheduled for 3, but I arranged for a fourth so I could spend more time in Kobe).
I selected the hotel primarily based on cost and proximity to the part of town where my activities were taking place. It is about 10 minutes walk from the Sannomiya train station - a little further away than some of the other hotels I considered but not really a problem.
The room was pretty small - as are almost all hotels in this price bracket in the area - but tidy and with all the necessary amenities (TV, coffee/tea making, aircon,...).
The only glitch during my stay was that I was originally given a smoking room despite my request for non-smoking, but this was quickly rectified when I called the reception.
Despite being quite near some major roadways, noise was not a problem - especially with the window closed. From the 15th floor I had quite a nice view towards the east with a side view of the Rokko mountains (see pictures).
I found the staff friendly and helpful - for example I needed to prepare and print a short double sided document on A3 paper for a presentation and they spent about 10 minutes helping me with this (charging only 10 yen for the paper). In other hotels this kind of request is often treated as a hassle.
Also, I got good value from the free rental bikes available from the hotel and used these to cover quite a bit of ground - Port Island, Harbourland, Kyoryuchi, Motomachi etc.
Finally, the staff allowed me to leave my luggage in storage for a few hours after I checked out so I could squeeze in some further sightseeing.
All in all I would have no hesitation in staying in the hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Philip S
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in winter. It is a bit of walk (10-15 min) from Sannomiya Station, so if you have a luggage you may want to hop on a taxi from the station - 5 minutes drive (700-800 yen). On your way to the station, the hotel offers a small shuttle bus, which is great. You walk up to the front desk and tell them what time you would like to leave, then they will give you a kind of a token ticket which you will give to the driver. The hotel is on the east side of downtown, but you could easily walk to Sannomiya and Motomachi area (downtown Kobe is not very large). The room is aged and quite non-descriptive, but kept clean. The shower room is also aged but kept clean. Complimentary all-you-can-eat style breakfast is mainly Japanese food (rice and miso-soup) and offers quite a variety of freshly prepared items (sausage, salad, scrambled eggs, tofu, grilled fish...). I find Japanese-style breakfast much more substantial and nutritious than "western" style toast and jam, so this was a very surprising bonus to my stay. But if you are absolutely against Japanese-style breakfast, they do have some toast and jam with eggs etc. They have coffee, tea, milk and juice, too.
My stay was for about $60 per stay, so I thought this was a pretty good hotel for the price.

Room Tip: They may not be able to offer you a non-smoking room here, but ask anyway if necessary. My room wasn...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank swangogo
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed here for work. It was a conference at the Convention Centre out on the island. It was a good location for that reason as it was a short walk and train ride to the conference. Location was also good for walking to/from Sannomiya train station and the close by shopping districts. The reason I wouldn't stay again was because I was given a smoking room when I asked for non-smoking and to make this worse the staff didn't have the English skills to understand my problem sufficiently. I ended up staying 6 nights in a smoking room with the window open and air con cranked up the whole time. Generally the whole hotel smelt like an ashtray. Breakfast was a combination of Japanese style and a poor attempt at a western style, not great. I wouldn't stay here again nor recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business