“Central location, nice harbour view & exceptional customer service”

Kobe Meriken Park Oriental Hotel
Ranked #6 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Reviewed December 17, 2010

This hotel located near the Mosaic shopping mall and is not too far away from downtown Kobe (Sannomiya station). There are 2 shuttle buses (free of charge for hotel guests) running between the hotel and the bus terminal near Sannomiya Station or the Kobe JR station. We stayed in the "sea-view" room which got a nice view of the harbour and the park nearby. The buffet breakfast provides both Japanese and western dishes and we loved the varieties especially for the Japanese breakfasts. The staff are friendly and helpful...most of them can speak simple English and we didn't have any trouble in getting direction and information on shopping & eating information.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 23, 2010

picked up from the train station and delivered to the door and then check in, nothing is to much trouble in this hotel.
looks like a cruise liner when you look across the harbour.
brilliant service (suppose its the norm in Japan).
retaurants excellent, good variety of western and japanese.
if you are looking to get married they have brilliant wedding facilities
try the all you can eat, drink night overlooking the port (beer machines are great for helping yourself).
great hotel!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Located on the bank of Kobe creek surrounded with colourful structures all around. The beauty at night is spellbound. One shall definitely fall in love once come across.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2009

The Meriken Park is located on the pier and within walking distance to Habor Land food and shopping area. It's got a beautiful view of the water and gives the feeling of being on a cruise ship. However, the rooms are cramped and smells of tobacco. The carpet is very worn and dirty.

Unfortunately, the hotel is very full and the staff is overstretched. There was a very loud party going on that filled the hotel with cheering and drunken laughter. We requested twin rooms (2 twin beds) but were given doubles (1 full sized bed) instead. The staff seems agitated when we requested for twin rooms but complied in the end. There are limited staff who can speak English. The concierge gave us contradicting information and has very difficult to understand. The other staff members were not as helpful or welcoming as in other hotels we have stayed in Japan.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank Travel_Sh0es
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I stayed 3 nights at Kobe Meriken Park Oriental Hotel duirng a business trip in December 2008. Overall the hotel is very nicely kept. The staff was exceptionally helpful, given my inability to speak Japanese. The rooms are smaller than USA hotel rooms, but are large by Japanese standards and are fully equipped. The restaurants are a little pricey and there are much better choices in Kobe.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We attended a family wedding in this hotel. It is beautiful inside and the staff were brilliant and very tolerant of our lack of english. The food was excellant but we always got a shock when we saw the bill! There was a shuttle bus to take you to and from Kobe. The rooms were disappointing in comparision to the rest of the hotel but ok. The facilitated us having a baby in our party and were overall very helpful. Overall a good experience though.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Read reviews describe how nice the hotel is so decided to book this hotel but it's a mistake. Problems started from making reservation; I checked hotel website, in their japanese version you can book room directly but not in english one. Hence I wrote email to the hotel and stated which room type and rate I want as shown in their japanese version (i can read some japanese but don't know how to type it) but they reply me a nearly double price for a same room. I emailed back to them and told them in that case I don't need room reservation because the price is unfair to foreign customers and they agreed to give me lower rate as shown in japanese version. I accepted it though already feel unpleasant, really like the hotel as it advertised of stunning ocean view and can see ferries wheel not far away.

Upon arrival the check-in is quite pleasant; we were greeted by a western porter and front desk staff is very polite. We stayed in sea'fill floor. The room is small and carpet looks muddy (they said this floor is newly renovated but the carpet is already tired looking). The second day when I return to my room I found the cleaner took my face towel, reported to the hotel on the phone and the staff sounds like she's trying to find out if I was trying to lie because I told her my towel is white (somehow similar to hotel's). After a few minutes explanation, I thought of there's a small label on my towel and also has small printing words on one said and I also told her we didn't use the face towel they provide in the bathroom so the cleaner should be aware of that. The customer care staff then told me they'll look for it, no apologize at all! When we check out the next day they still not found it and the front desk manager came to apologize(finally) and asked me to leave my home address; they'll send my towel back after they find it. After more than a month, nothing was sent to me and they even not bother to post a letter to let me know whether they can find it.

If you don't mind paying different rate than japanese travelers or worrying about missing properties, this might be the hotel you'll like after all the restaurant for breakfast provides great view for a morning start.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple