“Good for business only”

Ranked #6 of 117 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Singapore, Singapore
“Good for business only”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had visited this hotel some 8 to 9 years ago, but coming back this time, I was surprised at how deserted it has become. The hotel is located on Rokko Island, about an hour drive from Kansai Airport. It is a really quiet town, more like a residential area with extremely few numbers of restaurants and shops.

What I like about it:
- Its close proximity to my office.
- The staff are all well-trained and very polite, many of them can speak English.
- The quality of their complimentary toiletries and amenities are superb.
- They provide very comfortable pajamas in my room.
- The fantastic breakfast spread.

What I think could be improved:
- The pillows in my room are the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel
- Only lan in the room. No wifi!
- No complimentary bottled water in the room
- The hotel’s internet has some kind of firewall that prevented me from connecting to my VPN, as a result, I couldn’t access my corporate emails
- The location is crazily boring. Not a single shopping mall within walking distance.

This is a hotel that I will use purely for business only, I simply have no reason to consider staying here if my visit is for otherwise.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manager632013, Manager at Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers for your recent stay. We appreciate your valuable feedback to our hotel. We will plan to make a large-scale renovation like spa, shops and wi-fi facilities. Thank you very much for valueable feedback and we hope we will have the oppotunity to serve you again on your next visit to Kobe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I spend 5 days at this hotel. The facility is nice, has free wifi, heated squirting toilet seats and all the other accouterments you would expect from a Japanese luxury hotel. What is strange though is the location. It is on Rokko island, a man-made island with lots of infrastructure, like a city, but the place is DEAD. I mean dead. I walked around at 6pm on a Thursday night and barely saw 20 people. Restaurants are empty, streets are barren, I can even see empty seats on the local train at rush hour: that is not Japan!

Bottom line, if your are going to Kobe Harbor for business and expect nothing but work, eat, sleep, this place is great. If you hope to soak in some of Japan's culture and lifestyle, go somewhere else.

Also, you will only get 1 TV channel in English and your remote control is unintelligible.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Manager632013, Manager at Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers for your recent stay. We appreciate your valuable feedback to our hotel. We will share your comments with our team. Now, we will plan to make a large-scale renovation like spa, shops and more. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and we certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Kobe.
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We got an SPG upgrade to Junior Suite and had a corner room with two windows with magnificent views. Spacious, very clean, with a large bathroom. Good service and decent breakfast. It's a bit tricky getting there by train as you have to switch to a special line which conveniently brings you right to the hotel door for Y240, but if you have heavy luggage you would be better off hiring a cab

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager632013, Manager at Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers for your recent stay. We appreciate your valuable feedback to our hotel’s services and facility. We will share your comments with our team. Again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and we certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Kobe.
Sendai, Japan
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had a two-night stay here in late October 2013 on business.

The hotel is located on Rokko Island, just off the main city. This is two short train rides from the main train station Sannomiya, or three from Kobe Airport.

The island itself is very quiet, but there are a number of restaurants, convenience stores, coffee shops, and fast food joints near the hotel. It's pretty convenient. The property is luxurious but starting to show its age. Renovations appear to be in progress, but have not finished yet.

The Good:

-very quiet and peaceful
-good Platinum treatment (upgrade, welcome gifts of chocolate and fruit, lounge access, newspapers, free breakfast as well as plat amenity)
-well-trained and competent staff
-very grand for a Sheraton -feels like it should be a Westin instead)
-good breakfast spread

The Bad:

-rooms are scuffed and showing age
-only wired internet
-lounge was closed for renovations during my stay -there was a temporary lounge set up in a restaurant but small and dark with limited offerings
-no complimentary water in the room
-the internet was practically unusable during my entire stay (would hang for minutes at a time). I was trying to write blog posts and wasn't able to. A deal-breaker in my case.
-the location is a bit out of the way

Overall

The internet provision is a major problem if you need access to it so I hope the hotel takes steps to improve their service in this regard.

This is a grand hotel that needs to be renovated (seems they are working on it now). The location could be a problem depending on what you are doing. However, those two things aside, this is a very pleasant option for a stay in Kobe. I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Manager632013, Manager at Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers. We would like to express our appreciation for your valuable review on our hotel. As of facility, we will introduce the WiFi system in the room in the future. Your comments will provide us with the opportunity to improve our level of services. We certainly hope we are able to welcome you again in the future.
hong kong
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Not great but ok - recognition of spg status was good and Service good. Gym was ok too. Bfast could be better. Easy access to town on Rokko line. Get a room with city / montain view. Some good places to eat just out the door !

Room Tip: City , mountain view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
kobesheratonmanager, Manager at Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We would like to express our appreciation for your valuable review on our facilitie and access.Your feedback assists us to provide our valued guests better services. We appreciate your review and we truly hope that we will have an opportunity to serving you again in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Nothing to be alarmed but definitely not worth the price, even on a corporate rate!
The mattress was wierd - none of my colleagues or I got decent sleep on them, when we talked next morning.
The reception was cold and unhelpful, when asked for a place to eat out, the suggestion was to eat in the hotel restaurants.

Oh yes - no wifi in the rooms :)...surprised but true.

Good side- spacious rooms and clean, but thats the bare minimum for a starwood hotel right?
Next time - its a no go even though I was "upgraded"

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank apbanerjee
KOBEBAYSHERATON, Manager at Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel and Towers, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We really regret to know that we were not able to exceed your expectations. As of facility, we will introduce the WiFi system in the room in the future. Your comments will provide us with the opportunity to improve our level of services.
We certainly hope we are able to welcome you again in the future.
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was here for a business trip during the winter time and I must say it was a very relaxing stay during my shortened business trip. All the amenities of the hotel were given and they even have complimentary toiletries daily and ucc coffee, Also I love it that provide complimentary bottled water in response to their survey if you need any towels, bed sheets that needs to be replaced.

Overall it was a relaxing comforting stay and if ever for business travellers going to this area you won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: make sure to get rooms with a view of the rokko line station and a view of rokko island.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kielogs
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience and for your gracious comments on our services. Your feedback assists us to provide our valued guests better services. We appreciate your review and we truly hope that we will have an opportunity to serving you again in the future.