“Not too much fun”

and up
Private Kobe Custom One Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
Ranked #7 of 462 things to do in Kobe
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I came to Kobe Oji Zoo at 3.00 pm, and they close at 4.00 pm.
The zoo is quite, many animals look like tired and not fun. When we're going to Big Bear spot, the bear sleeps so well. But I'm a little interesting, because I can saw penguin, bear, koala panda, and other animals that I can't see in my country.
Although, there is not too much fun but the service of staff is very kind.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was expecting more of this zoo in Kobe. The lions didn't seem to be well treated there and the pandas were a bit angry, the animals looked like irritated to be there. I felt sorry for them being there

2  Thank DebyPedroni
Reviewed May 18, 2013

the zoo is just like any other zoo... the good thing about this place is during spring time, especially the cherry blossoms viewing, luminary viewing... although the one is mie prefecture (nabana no sato) is bigger, brighter and more colorful, you can still enjoy the beauty of sakura here!

2  Thank jerai
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I don’t know if all zoos make me sad or if it was just the Kobe City Oji Zoo, but the animals didn’t look like they were having too much fun. I did get to see some cool animals though, especially a panda and a red panda!

The Oji Zoo is extremely easy to get to. Take the Hankyu line and get off at the Oji Koen stop. Follow the large blue signs shaped like arrows and you will find the zoo! You will know you are close because you will see amusement park rides.

The zoo only charges 600 yen to enter, but based on the condition of the zoo I think they should raise the price and put the funds towards an update. The zoo seems old and run down and I felt sorry for the animals. I’m unsure if all zoos are like this because I can recall feeling bad for animals at all zoos, but this zoo seemed especially run down.

Some of the animals I saw that I don’t recall having seeing before were a red panda, a panda, porcupines, a stork and an elephant with tusks. I had seen most of the other animals before but it was still nice to see them. Many of the animals were pacing in their habitats – we guessed that it must have been close to feeding time because we did eventually see some of the animals get fed. What was interesting was how they separated the animals prior to feeding them. For example: they put a male hippopotamus in his own habitat with his own food and a baby and mother hippopotamus in a separate area. I’m assuming it was so all of the animals got fed and that there was no competition for food. There wasn't any information in English so we never learned what the exact reason was for the separation.

Near the entrance of the park was a kiddie amusement park area that was cute but we just walked through and looked at all of the cute Japanese cartoon themed rides.

The zoo was fun to go to and I was super excited to see a panda, but like I said before the conditions were not too great for the animals. It was super cheap which was a plus, but I don’t know that I would go back.

32  Thank mary7484
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The panda on loan looked really sad in his big concrete cage, with just a platform to sit on, not comfortable at all.

3  Thank anna g