Private Kobe Custom One Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle

Book in advance
from
$933.71
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Mt. Maya
from $933.71
More Info
from $98.81
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 20, 2019

An amazing view that starts from Osaka and stretches all the way Kobe, all from the same spot! It's one of Japan's top 3 night views for a reason. Note that the cable car may not be operating late enough on some days to get back down after sunset, so please check the operating hours before going.

At night buses from the start of the ropeway may be scarce. Since it's a downhill walk, it's not too difficult to get to a subway station and back to central Kobe, which took me about 20-30 minutes on foot.

Reviewed April 12, 2019

Nice cable car ride to the top and lovely view over Kobe and the Inland sea. There is also a very reasonably priced cafe at the top from where you can sit and look at the lovely views.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank janethejock
Reviewed April 1, 2019 via mobile

We hiked from the herb gardens to Mount Maya. We were directed by staff in the information centre in the herb gardens and given a map. We were advised it would be around a two hour hike through difficult terrain and a lot of climbing would be involved.

We are experienced mountain walkers and it was just how we had been advised it would be. The walk was clearly marked out and the signage was all Japanese . We used the map we were given along with information boards with larger maps every 30 minutes or so.

The hike was largely up hill with a lot of man made steps but there were a couple of areas where you were negotiating tricky robot areas.
The hike took us around 90 minutes.
The last elevation was up wooden steps ending up at a shrine about 5 minutes walk from the viewing platform and cable car station.

The views from the viewing platform were amazing. You could see all of Kobe and across to Osaka.
After taking in the views we got the cable car half way down the mountain and picked up a funicular rail train for the final descent. Simply stunning and an amazing experience . Once at the bottom take a left and a few meters away you will find a bus stop where you can take the route 18 bus to Shin Kobe JR station. This takes around 25 minutes. You pay as you get off the bus.

So far our favourite destination of our Japan tour. See my separate review of the herb gardens for directions from Shin Kobe JR station.
Maya and the herb gardens are both wonderful and a must do for those visiting Kobe.
Make sure you hare prepared for all weathers. We had all 4 seasons in one day, even snow flurries for a very short time. Earlier in the hike we had light sweaters on. Sensible shoes with a good grip are a must,

Date of experience: April 2019
5  Thank WelshLorna
Reviewed March 31, 2019

I had read this was one of the more beautiful things to do in Kobe. I walked from my hotel to the cable car station at the base of the mountain and very well labelled. I opted to purchase a round trip on both the cable and rope line, though there is the option to use either or none, and hike. The cable car is a pretty steep, but angled car ride up part of the way, while the ropeway is a small ariel tram. Both rides up the mountain were quiet, few people on a Friday morning in March! Once at the top, I explored some of the sites and had a little lunch at the cafe. Again there were few people about, and I had the outside patio to myself! I had read in the evening it is a spectacular view, and I don't doubt it, it was pretty nice during the daylight hours as well. Should I return to Kobe, I will come back to see this in the evening.

2  Thank seancI3065LK
Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

Directions- go to Shin Kobe station and take a bus 18 (ask directions from information counter if unsure), cost 210yen, 15 min ride. The ride up the funicular and then the cable ropeway is fun, and when you get to the top, the views are simply amazing, especially if you come for the sunset. Apart from the viewing platform, there are actually plenty of other activities such as a temple and some hiking trails for the more adventurous. Do note that on the colder days, a jacket is a must- we actually experienced snow flurries in end March! Only on weekends they run later into the evening. Check the koperope.jp website for actual updates. Both rope way and cable car operate together. Not much point staying at the middle area, view not as nice as on kikusedai.

2  Thank PEPIDOG