“Excellent EVERYTHING! Make sure to make a reservation!”
Review of Wakkoqu, Shinkobe

Wakkoqu, Shinkobe
Ranked #5 of 9,247 Restaurants in Kobe
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oahu, Hawaii
“Excellent EVERYTHING! Make sure to make a reservation!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was sold on coming here after reading the reviews and I can promise you that nothing disappointed! We arrived there when they opened at 11:30am and were told that they were fully booked and that we should come back at 1:30pm. I had just sprained my ankle but if that hadn't happened we would've been going to the herb gardens and ropeway (like gondola). We were still able to walk around the building because there were so many shops (that we couldn't afford) so we didn't mind the wait at all. I was just hoping that it was worth it.

And it totally was! The english spoken by the staff there was pretty decent and the food was spectacular! It was my boyfriend and I so we ordered the sirloin and the filet. They both came with an appetizer which was smoked salmon, capers, and onions. The onions were not potent at all and at first we even thought it was daikon! The meat was presented in a manner where you could appreciate the marbling and there seemed to be a method to the cooking madness because even the sides of the slabs were seared. Not like the teppanyaki places in America where everything is just tossed around... here everything was lovingly placed and cut and served. The chef even explained the different ways to try the meat so that you could find your own preference. I personally liked the salt only and my boyfriend liked the mustard and shoyu mix. Ugh... talk about melt in your mouth!!! People said to focus on the texture, not the taste, but I thought the taste was just perfect, too! The only complaint that I have was that we chose tea instead of coffee afterwards thinking that it would be green tea. It was like english tea which I don't care for too much.

I'll admit that I regret eating here only because i know I'll never have that kind of quality service or meat unless I go out of country. Sigh.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Kobe beef - eat here and all other beef with taste inferior”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Everyone who eats here seems to agree that Kobe beef and Wakkoqu/Wakkoku is an exceptionally good restaurant and I don't disagree. I've done a full review on my blog with photos if anyone wants full details: http://indianajo.com/2013/05/eating-kobe-beef-in-japan.html

• Visited April 2013
USA
“Worth every penny”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

The beef we ate here was out of this world. We took a train an hour to visit this restaurant and it cost over $300 for two...an insane expense but it was so worth it! The sauces, the simple salt and pepper, and the roasted garlic chips were fun to play with to dress up every hibachi-grilled, melt-in-your-mouth bite. Kobe beef in Japan is a must, and this is a great place to go.

Make sure you go the the right place--4th floor of the hotel I believe. There are many other places with more expensive beef but inferior ambiances. Just ask wherever you end up to ensure its Wokkoku (you'll see, the signage is confusing).

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kmf54
Divonne-les-Bains, France
“The most possible tender meat you can get”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

What an experience! We had dinner at this very pleasant and friendly restaurant. Our children want to go again. The meat is so tender that you can split it with your chopsticks. Treat yourself to this fantastic experience of having Kobe beef.

Visited April 2013
Canton of Neuchatel, Switzerland
“Yummy ! Best beef I've tried”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

For my first trip to Japan it was a must for me to go to Kobe for trying the famous beef. So after a fiew browsing we went to the Wakkoku restaurant. It is a traditional teppanyaki restaurant 2 blocks away from the central train station.
We were there for lunch, so there was a lunch deal which was affordable and gave us the opportunity to try the Kobe beef in different ways. The cooking was done at the teppanyaki table without the boring show of a Benihana restaurant. It's about food, not skills demonstration. And as my mom use to say, don't play with the food ;-)
The meat was just excellent. Never had such a melting beef before ! The center cut fillet is just amazing. The other parts are sometime a litte bit too greasy, but never mind, it's still worth the try.
Service was good, the cook was not very smiling, but who cares ? as long as the beef is exceptional.
I would totally recommand this restaurant to my friends who are travelling to Kobe.

• Visited March 2013