“Great hotel for the price”
Review of Hotel Piena Kobe

Hotel Piena Kobe
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed 1 night here a few weeks ago while passing through Kobe. It is 10 mins walk from the JR sanmiyo station and a 15 mins walk to the kobe Shinkansen station. A great bakery (Isuzo bakery) is around the corner. The front desk staff was very nice. The only issue was that its a bit hard to find this hotel, but it is not their fault. The street is not marked very well so we didn't know what cross-streets to tell cab drivers. You may want to ask the front desk what the cross streets are as this will make cab rides back easier for you.

The room itself was a bit dated but clean and comfortable. The hotel manual/guide was all in Japanese and the wifi instructions did not work. I later found out that the correct ones are written in the elevator. The wifi itself worked without a problem once I was logged on.

Breakfast buffet was very good and the dessert selection is great.

Overall, a great hotel for the price I paid for my room (under $100 US, including breakfast).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Piena Kobe

Reviewed June 12, 2013

had a great stay in this hotel.. the staff were very friendly and the room was huge even for just the standard twin room... did not expect such a big room and i really love the room and.. walkable distance from sannomiya station.. breakfast is really great and delicious and the desserts were nice and yummy. the jam was the winner too and i even bought 3 bottles of jam back to singapore.. will surely come back to stay when i come back to kobe next time

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

To start
It's not really a young person's hotel. Too pricey for what you get and its strong points wouldn't appeal to them. For parents onwards, it has much to recommend it.
Although they enforce a strict 3 pm check-in, if you leave your luggage while you look around town, you'll find it on a baggage stand in your room on return to check in.
I prefer the decor to the sparseness of the modern hotels : You can sit on the chair and use the desk. Don't sit on the lounge chairs in the lobby though if you have a bad back. They're far too soft and they're deadly. All the Staff are extremely helpful , knowledgeable, attentive and polite. They have varying degrees of English but more importantly, they're excellent, at understanding poor Japanese. They were outstanding. There is free tea and coffee in the lobby from 6pm till 10am. Very nice with real boiling water for your tea.

In the Room
The hotel services book is more confusing for English speakers than of assistance. From it, I gather there is no ofuro in the hotel but there is a good Senso nearby ($8). There doesn't appear to be a coin laundry. Don't try to follow the wifi instructions in it, they're wrong. The bedroom is a good size for Japan. There is WiFi in the room. Just ask Fronto (99) for the password. The wifi can be a little slow. Comfortable bed, lovely bathroom, very well supplied. It is probably the most outstanding feature. Air conditioning controls are puzzling if you want to reverse it. There are tea-making facilities in the room with a choice of green or strawberry black tea! Night wear was a sort of button-up house coat. I prefer a yukata.

I suspect that many of the enthusiastic reviews of this hotel were from those people with breakfast included and were pleased with the western breakfast. I had to pay for mine and I come to Japan to eat Japanese food and was less than thrilled by their Japanese breakfast. It was three times what I'd usually pay. There was no egg unless you went off and got some omelette. You couldn't have raw or onsen egg even if you asked and, it's hard to believe, there was no nori to eat your rice with. There were some nice add-ons but all in all, I'd rate their Japanese breakfast as below average and hideously over-priced.

I was forced into the western breakfast. No cereals but some other nice touches including brioche with maple syrup. Coffee was decent filter but with little packet milk. Tea you had to make with luke warm water from next to the coffee pot and the same 'milk' - American style. Ghastly. Toast required three runs through the toaster to be toasted. Jams were nicely presented as you would expect with a place that specialises in selling them. The staff weren't so good there either.

Overall, I wasn't impressed by breakfast. I may have to blame Booking.com for my adverse value-for-money judgement because I think it was their special offer that led to breakfast not being included. Had it been included, I suspect the total package cost would have been much less. If I'm correct, the hotel should reconsider what they offer through Booking.com.

I didn't try the restaurant otherwise (and I didn't have a second breakfast).

Location.
If you're feeling positive, you can say it's not far from most set-off points. If you're not, you'd say it's 10 minutes from anywhere useful. It's too far from the station if you have heavy baggage but it's a reasonable taxi fare.

Would I return?
Probably not. Location is important to me. The value for money is below average. If you add in the breakfast price and compare it with similar hotels in Japan, I'd say it was not so good value for money or location.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank bariloche48
Reviewed May 6, 2013

As family of five, we got 2 rooms and stayed here for 4 days and we enjoyed exploring the adjacent places of interests and shopping malls nearby as well as the famous dining places for the popular Kobe steak w/c the staff recommended. Breakfast was good, appetizing and has varieties as well as the very yummy petite cakes that goes with it. The place is accessibly located by walking distance just 10 mins. from the Train Station. There are so many places nearby the hotel that catches our interests as well as reaching out for our extra needs. Staff are very accommodating to help us in giving the shortcut directions to wherever we want to go. I will surely recommend this hotel to friends who want to visit and tour Kobe.

Room Tip: the rooms are a bit old so be wary of the noises or sounds of footsteps at the adjacent rooms or abo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Piena Hotel offered us our biggest room during our 15 days visit of Japan. 3 children 2 adults in 1 very big room with a great view on Kobe at a very affordable price. Great breakfast, very good products and taste. Staff very profesional and helpfull. Definitely worth while a stay!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2013

For a comprehensive review of Hotel Piena Kobe, read the recent review by 'wholoveschange' .... we add our voices to the chorus, this was the favourite stay of our Japan holiday.

From the moment we arrived at Hotel Piena Kobe we received first class service from delightful, attentive staff. So many little examples ... but absent from other hotel stays. Getting here was an easy walk from Sannomiya Station, and we set out immediately, again an easy walk again up to the Nunobiki ropeway, and to some fantastic dining options - we chose Wakkoqo for its reputation in Kobe beef. Our room had an enormous bed (2m x 2m), the breakfast in the hotel restaurant La Patrie was a feast of a thousand treasures for the eyes and the mouth. While some may find the decor a little dated, I see it more as a consistency of French provincial styling throughout. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ianisalifestyle
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great room, clean and big.
Breakfast was so GREAT, many choices and flavor was good too!
No matter they was chosen as "The best Breakfast Price 2013"
The honey paste and cake sold at front desk was delicious too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends