“Helpful and convenient”

Hiroshima Intelligent Hotel Grand
Ranked #32 of 121 Hotels / Ryokan in Hiroshima
Reviewed September 24, 2011

A nice and decent hotel. It was clean and comfortable. The front office staff were so helpful as they tried their best to make us feel comfortable. It was great that they allowed us to check in shortly after we arrived from a 12 hour bus ride from Tokyo. It was a real happy moment to be able to freshen up and head out to the sights. They also provided very useful information about getting around Hiroshima. The room was average in size, but this is Japan, rooms are smaller than most other SE Asian countries. Overall, I would recommend travellers to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravellingCow
There are newer reviews for Hiroshima Intelligent Hotel Grand

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I was a little wary about this hotel that our JTB agent booked for us, but I should have listened. Apart from very cramped rooms and hideous decor, the walls have some very old and noisy plumbing that kept us up all night. To add to that, I found a hair in my bed! Get other lodgings!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Familyof4CDNS
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Great stay. No issues. Front desk have good English so booking and getting directions was easy. Free Internet pc's in the lobby and LAN in the rooms. Room was clean and reasonably large for a innercity hotel. Bed was comfy. AC controls hard to find (in bedside table with the radio controls). Would happily stay here again.

Reviewed December 24, 2009

We left booking our hotel in Hiroshima to the last minute and as a consequence didn't have the chance to check out Trip Advisor before we booked anything - I wished we had, although having just read some of the reviews on here saying the hotel is 'wonderful' I wonder if some of the others were staying in a different place to us?!

I would compare this hotel to Fawlty Towers, The rooms were really shabby, dated and not very clean, The bed was SO uncomfortable that I think we managed to get about 3 hours sleep at best. As other visitors have noted the plumbing is dodgy so everytime other residents have a shower/flush the toilet/wash their hands/brush their teeth (you get the idea) then you hear it! We asked for a non-smoking room but the room smelt like a mouldy ashtray.

We actually checked out at about 7am because we couldn't bear to be there any longer.
We stayed on the 6th Floor but I am struggling to recall the room number to tell you to avoid it! Hideous. Shame, as we loved Hiroshima.

We saw a hotel closer to the Peace Park, just off the main thoroughfare, called Hotel Active which looked great. My recommendation would be to stay at Hotel Active and give this hotel a very wide berth!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank LondonKirsty
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed here in a Japanese style room (4 + 8 tatami mats) since there were 4 of us. I had difficulty sleeping because you could hear water running throughout the room whenever other guests would use the restroom. The first night the bathtub water seeped out the floor and the next night the toilet got clogged. I didn't make it a big deal because the staff who came to fix it were so sincere and apologetic. The location is great: you can see the hotel from Hiroshima Station. The Hiroden (street car) stop is also close by. For meals, just walk up towards the Station where there are several restaurants and shopping arcades. There are also 2 terminals in the lobby where you can check email or use the internet for free.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2009

It was very grand in the entrance. The rooms were a little older but clean and good.
The breakfast was very good with a buffet and ots of variety of Japanese and continental.
It was easy to get to the centre of the town on the street cars which were at the end of the road.
Very close to the station, we jumped in a taxi and basically got driven across the road and over the river!
We had a 2 day travel ticket in with our stay which made travel very easy and this included to the island of Miyajima. If you are travelling on a japanese rail Pass then travel can be made to the island using the main JR station and also the JR ferry, a much quicker option. By street car it took over an hour and a half to Miyajima.
In the centre there are high rise blocks thaat have great small bar type restaurants. There are many to choose from on the same floor so just choose one that is full, preferably of Japanese!
The internet was 1000Yen for as long as you needed, rather expensive to send an email, needless to say we didn't that day!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank HelenmacCheltenham
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my partner. Very close to train station which was great, but still a reasonable walking distance to main attractions and shopping. The staff were friendly and able to give us a fantastic map of the local area. The lobby was very grand however the staff were only able to provide us with a smoking room despite being non-smokers and having booked months in advance. The room was very old fashioned compared with other hotels we stayed at in japan. the carpet felt dirty under my bare feet and the room stank of smoke (and the window was unable to be opened). we bought an airfreshner for our room but the smell made us want to spend as little time as possible here. The tv was a large old fashioned one compared with the flat screens all other similar priced hotels had offered us and we felt that the air conditioning did not work very well. This was my least favourite place I stayed whilst in Japan. Free internet was a plus though.
Miyajima was my favourite day trip whilst in HIroshima (my favourite place in all of japan) and both my partner and I wished we had stayed on this island at least one night!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple