“Well worth the train ride and walk uphill” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 192 things to do in Hiroshima
Cairns, Australia
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 279 helpful votes
“Well worth the train ride and walk uphill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I had read about this temple a couple of years ago but did not have the time to visit then. This time we made a special effort to put time aside for the visit. A short train ride to Mitaki station then a 20 minute walk up the hill to the temple. We took a walking trek into the surrounding hillside and ended up bushwalking up behind the temple. An experience for me as I am not used to all the uphill walking, but good exercise!! We returned to the temple, took photos of the waterfalls and statues, and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings in the rainforest. We had shaved ice at the little teahouse and bought a few pottery items from the display. Staff at the teahouse were very friendly and attentive. It was definitely worth the trip from Hiroshima to this temple for it's lovely peaceful gardens and interesting statues.

Visited September 2012

Steilacoom, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Serene and Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

This wonderful temple area seems to not be on the tourist radar but it is definitely worth visiting. The temple grounds are located on the side of Mt Mitaki with beautiful trees, waterfalls, stair, statues and buildings. I'm not sure I have ever experienced any place so tranquil and green. I personally found Hiroshima to be one of my favorite places in Japan and Mitaki certainly added to my feeling.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank Doxielvr
Bethesda, MD
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Beautiful, Inspiring Local Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

This was just a great half day or so trip from Hironshima where we are staying for an extended period. Just two stops on the train and a nice (acttually kind of strenuous) uphill walk to the temple area, and you are surrounded by beautiful quiet waterfalls and greenery and the nicest pagoda you would ever want to see. Transplanted here to help "heal the souls of the atomic bomb victims," this pagoda is from something like the year 526, and it is just very unassuming and inspiring to see. I liked this temple and its setting better than what we saw in Kyoto, although I have to say we did not have much time in Kyoto.

5 Thank mauiinapril