“A Global Must-See ...”

and up
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Miyajima Island Tour from Hiroshima
Ranked #1 of 270 things to do in Hiroshima
More attraction details
Owner description: This park commemorates the explosion of the first atomic bomb, and houses the Peace Memorial Museum and monuments related to the horrific event.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

There are few places in the world I would classify as a place that literally everyone in the world should visit. Hiroshima's Peace Memorial Museum and Park would be one of them. Before visiting Hiroshima, I admit I was not all "about" going there. I realized it was an incredible tragedy, but the weight of it was not there. I hate to sound callous, but I'm being honest.

That's why I believe this is something everyone should see. I could classify myself as passionately anti-nuke. My personal favorite display at the museum was the great wall of all the letters the mayors of Hiroshima have written to leaders all over the world about the nuclear programs. He urges them in a peaceful manner to consider their dire history.

I won't spoil any of the exhibits, but it's an emotionally exhausting visit. Try not to rush through as there is a lot to learn and absorb. Hiroshima is second to Kyoto as my favorite city in Japan. It has a unique personality, and just being in a city that was completely devastated but has bounced back 110% ... it is an honor. Please go to Hiroshima and you will feel connected to all of humanity.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,597)

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I think no one has visited Hiroshima not going to this Museum. I only felt something similar in Auschwitz. It's beyond words. It's an excellent exhibition depicting one of the greatest shames in history. Maybe a little of recognition of Japanese war crimes wouldn't hurt, anyway. But this Museum is a sad song to human dignity. NEVER MISS IT. In the gift shops you can find the entire collection, in English, of the EXTRAORDINARY manga "Hadashi-no Gen", ideal to be read in Hiroshima. A calm visit of the museum takes 2 hours. Guided tour not needed, as everything is perfectly explained in English. Beware those people who have serious emotional problems, this is really very hard.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

When planning our second visit to Japan, we made sure our itinerary included Hiroshima to specifically go to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. Went to the Peace Memorial as soon as our Shinkasin arrived from Kyoto using the streetcar. At first we were line for the wrong streetcar, but a kind elderly gentleman heard us speaking about going to the Peace Memorial and he pointed us to the correct streetcar line.

Once off our stop, had a nice walk to the Memorial which included the passing the Atomic Bomb Dome and the Children's Peace Monument. As with other types of Memorial Sites such as Oklahoma City Memorial, Holocaust memorials, etc, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum can be somber and disturbing so highly recommend preparing yourself emotionally.

As Americans, my family and I were a bit concerned if we would feel uncomfortable at points while at the Peace Memorial. While we had read a number of reviews that the Museum has a balanced POV, until we experienced it ourselves, we were still wary. However, we indeed did find that this museum indeed has a very balanced POV of what led to the dropping of the A Bomb.

The Museum was well done, but as others have pointed out, is dated in how things are presented. Could use some updating to freshen how things look. However, even dated, the message comes across. Very moving. Really enjoyed seeing Sadako's paper cranes.

The Museum is very popular, especially with school groups, so can get very crowded at times. But just like at other top attractions in Japan, even with school groups, can manage to see everything at the attraction we wanted to since we find the Japanese to be very considerate.

Have to admit, after leaving the Peach Memorial Museum, the entire family was a bit down, which is to be expected. Fortunately, before heading back to our hotel in Kyoto, took the streetcar and then the ferry Miyajima Island where we spent a couple of hours at this magical place.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

The museum and visit to the A-Bomb Dome was worth the visit but be warned, the entire area is very depressing. Visit to the memorial is akin to visitting the concentration camps in Germany. You probably won't feel like going out and partying after.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This museum has to be on the top of your list of things to see whilst in Hiroshima. The admission fee is a whole 50 yen (approx 50c). All information and exhibits are in English and well displayed. Allow a good few hours to go through this museum. It is quiet sad seeing what these poor people had to endure on this day in 1945.