Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims
Ranked #4 of 298 things to do in Hiroshima
Reviewed October 16, 2017

The Peace Memorial hall is accessed by a staircase that slowly makes its way round the outskirts of the building to a domed room underground. This is a quiet, cool place that was constructed in 2002. Upstairs is a room with computers and they are collecting the names of all those who had succumbed on that fateful day.

All reviews
in 38 reviews
"library"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed October 14, 2017 via mobile

A short walk from the A-Bomb dome was the Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims. Inside this memorial stood the Hall of Remembrance that honored the victims and inspired contemplation for peace.

The interior wall presented a 360-degree panorama of the A-bombed city as seen from the Shima Hospital, the hypocenter, made using 140,000 tiles to mark the estimated number of victims who have died by the end of 1945. The panorama was based on photos taken by the US Army in October 1945.

In the middle was a fountain consisting of a sculpture depicting time frozen at 8:15, the exact moment of the bombing. The fountain represented precious sustenance to the A-bomb victims, many of whom died begging for water to quench their thirst. This is a memorial not just for those who died, but also for us to remember the horrible destruction these weapons can unleash.

Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

This monument is very moving.... you walk down a circular ramp to a room for reflection.... it walls have an image of the devastated and flattened area after the bomb blast.

After this area I made my way out thinking that I had seen everything however there is several areas/rooms with testimonies being given and film footage playing. I spent at least half an hour watching and listening.

It's incredibly moving.... as I exited the building I found myself in tears... it's so hard to comprehend the events of the past and the absolute destruction of Hiroshima and it's people. War is a horrible thing!

Some of the content of the films is quite graphic and will be upsetting.

Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

Be sure to listen to the stories of the survivors. We stayed for the full 20 minute video after visiting the memorial hall. Listening to these human tales was the best thing for us. A poignant and moving memorial hall. Very glad we visited.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

A visit to the memorial hall was not on my agenda, but as I was walking, there it was and so I entered. And it was fortunate I did. Despite there being a large group of schoolchildren present while I was there, I was able to commune with myself and appreciate the hall as a solemn memorial for the victims of the tragedy of August 1945.

I can't recommend a visit too highly.

Travelers who viewed Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims also viewed

Hiroshima, Hiroshima Prefecture

Been to Hiroshima National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims? Share your experiences!