“Wonderful, caring place!”
Review of Hotel New Hiroden

Hotel New Hiroden
Ranked #17 of 123 Hotels / Ryokan in Hiroshima
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel is a terrific place to stay and many international travellers were there. The restaurant is very accomodating and the food is terrific. The front end staff go out of there way for you. The rooms vary in size, so make sure to inquire; you can ask for and book larger rooms if you have family. The hotel is centrally located and not far from the train station (you can walk) but I recommend taking a cab there the first time, as many people do not know where it is. Hiroshima is close to the classic Miyojima island-not to be missed-and you can walk to Peace Park, although it is a windy stroll and a bit of a walk. Cabs abound. People in Hiroshima go out of their way for you and it is a very wonderful stop in Japan. A perk of this hotel is the incredible breakfast buffet-both traditional and American.

Room Tip: Inquire about the size-you can get rooms that sleep three-six.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DoctorB325

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was staying here for work, so I do not know the price of the room, but it was fine for what it was. It's not fancy, but the rooms are clean and typical for the other hotels I stayed in on this trip. Location is good--a quick walk from the main train station and not far from the Peace Memorial sites. The bathroom is typical for Japanese hotels, in that it's very small but includes one of the fancy toilets they so love in this country.

I had breakfast in the main hotel's buffet; it was good with a mix of Western and Japanese selections, but it was VERY crowded, and the seating is communal which kind of stinks. Still, it was good. One kind of odd thing (for Americans because I realize this is common in many parts of the world)--they have old fashioned metal keys with large plastic room numbers attached. You are supposed to leave them with the front desk when you tour the city.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I first visited the Hotel New Hiroden in March 2011 and wrote a review at the time. I returned to Hiroshima in March 2012 and again stayed at the Hotel New Hiroden, so I thought I would do an update.

The Hotel New Hiroden is located overlooking the banks of the Kyobashi River, a three-minute walk from the south entrance of JR Hiroshima Station. Turn right upon exiting the station and follow the footpath to Johoku-dori Ave and then turn right. The hotel is 2 mins along on your right.

Please note that many Japanese hotels strictly enforce check-in times and this one is no exception. Check-in time is 2pm. If you try and check-in before this time you will meet with an answer you probably won't like (but they will hold your bags while you have a look around the city.) I always try to time my arrival to any hotel in Japan to coincide with the check-in time!

The rooms are not very large, but are spotlessly clean. They are serviced daily, although you can elect to have your bed linen and towels changed every other day if you wish.

The bed was the most comfortable of any that I have slept in at a Japanese hotel. I had the best sleeps of my trip here!

Hotel New Hiroden is in the process on installing wifi to the rooms and expect to have the work finished by April 2012. The room I stayed in did not have wifi, but I could access it in the lobby (free).

The hotel has a restaurant located off the lobby which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is also served in a separate room on the 2nd floor each morning. There was a good choice of western and Japanese items.

Unusually for a hotel of this size, they do have a bar. It is located downstairs from the lobby entrance to the restaurant, and a fabulous bar it is too! Very friendly staff and very reasonable prices. I paid 1270 yen for a whiskey in a hotel in Osaka, but only 808 or 818 yen (I forget which) for one at this hotel - and it was better-quality whiskey at HNH!

The rooms have a real key (not a card) and you must hand the key to reception whenever you leave the hotel.

There are vending machines in the lift lobby of most floors. There is also a Lawson convenience store outside the station and a McDonalds and a bakery and another convenience store in the station itself.

The staff at the hotel were uniformly friendly, especially the young guys I met in the bar. The staff speak English, some better than others, of course. You will not encounter any problems.

The Hotel New Hiroden in Hiroshima is not that big, but it has facilities of a much larger hotel.

It is not a luxury hotel by any means. But it is comfortable, friendly and exceptionally convenient, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Hiroshima.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Tacooya
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night also using a JTB package. We booked single rooms and they were very tiny but clean and fine for one night though the bed quality wasn't the best. We did eat dinner in their restaurant also since the weather was so bad that evening and it was ok, nothing great but again, fine for one night. Breakfast was better, a large buffet, but there were a lot of people staying there at the time, businessmen and Japanese tourists, so arrive early! There was free wifi in the lobby which worked well. All in all, a good value with the train included.

Room Tip: If you book a single, be prepared for a very small room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank moremiles
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed in Hiroden for one night with a Shinkansen Bullet train package tour booked by JTB. I think the saving was good. The rooms were clean and spacious. Unfortunately not a good view from the window. We did eat here and hence cannot comment. It was walkable from the JR Shinkasen station and there awas tram stop right in front of the hotel, They offered us a one day unlimited train pass as a part of the package. No wifi was available, but we could use the computers located on the ground floor for internet access at no cost. I liked the little origami paper crane on the bed as we entered our room. Nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We got a good deal to ride the super fast Shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo to Hiroshima which included a night's stay at this cozy hotel so I can't comment on the price as it was included in our package.

The room we got was large indeed which was nice to see in Japan. My wife and I shared a queen sized bed and we had a big attached bathroom as well! The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and we got good sleep. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the main Hiroshima railway station which was of great convenience. We were allowed to keep our baggage at the lobby after checkout as our train was in the evening the following day so this was convenient.

Hiroshima is a much quieter city compared to Tokyo so after taking in the sites such as the Peace Memorial and faraway MiyaJima-cho we didn't really catch much of the night life (not sure if there was any) but the location was walking distance to the mall and even the A-bomb dome.

Overall good hotel and good location!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bangloboy
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Conveniently located near the train station and street tram. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Ideal hotel to use as your base if you're going around Hiroshima and Miyajima. Rooms were fairly large and were clean. Has free internet via cable, no wi-fi.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple