“Will not stay again”

Hotel Gracery Sapporo
Ranked #27 of 171 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in March in a standard twin room. There was a big misunderstanding at checkin, with the reception staff saying I hadn't paid, even though I had paid through my travel agent. Very difficult to communicate in English, and the staff member serving me was getting increasingly frustrated and was probably the only person in japan I have encountered who was not happy to help. After reading reviews here I asked multiple times if my room was still going to be non smoking. On entering the room I got a huge punch of cigarette smell in my face, called reception immediately who said the room was definitely non smoking. I figured this was most likely true as going to bed that night I realised the smell was coming from the bed sheets. They definitely don't keep bed sheets smoking and non smoking and they soak the smell in like a sponge. The rooms were tiny, I thought it would be a bit bigger because I booked a twin for 2 people, I can't imagine how you would move in a double room with 2 people and suitcases!

The only reason why I booked this hotel was because it has direct access to the underground walkway, which means you don't have to put on all your winter clothes just to walk to a shopping centre or restaurant and lug it around with you, as you definitely need to strip layers off as they turn up the heating in winter. I went to Sapporo in December 2012 and realised this was a hassle as I stayed at Mitsui Garden which doesn't have an underground walkway. Oh but be prepared you won't find the hotel the first time you try to look for it via the underground shopping centres, there are so many people and so many signs you'll probably just end up lost, like me, even though I was only there 1 year ago. If you want to try, don't head to the underground subway area, go to Daimaru basement level where all the food is, walk out the side past the flower shop (opposite end from the shopping centre/subway entrance), walk through the Food Walk, through some unassuming glass doors, walk up some steps that seem to lead somewhere dodgy, and then you will see some nice looking elevators in an office building that will take you up to the hotel. Good luck! You will know the exact way though if you go backwards from the hotel and then you will be able to use the underground path to get to the hotel.

If I was to go back to Sapporo in winter I will try another hotel with underground access. If I was going at a time other than winter I will probably stay at Mitsui Garden again (twin room though as double is tiny too), as it is only a minute's walk away from an entrance to the underground, very new and clean and friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kewlaurel

Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is one of the closes hotel in Sapporo to the JR station. You don't even have to go out on the street from the JR station. However, room is very small. One of the smallest that I had ever had in Sapporo. I only stayed here for one night before I went back to the U.S. Nice to stay here at the very end of your trip. You can do last minute shopping in the underground mall and the malls across from the JR station.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Rooms are of cozy size which is usual for Japan standard but it's very clean. Hotel location is really convenient, just 5 mins walk from Sapporo JR station. The station serve as metro station as well and bus terminal to Day Tour such as Furano is also 10 mins walk away only. I like that we can shop easily just by walking out and there are no lack for F&B eatery. And did I mentioned check out was easy breezy because you just need to drop your card in their check-out machines located infront of the Recep counter.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Good and cosy hotel that is opposite Sapporo Station. Take the lift down to the basement and you can take the underpass directly to Sapporo Station without being exposed to the weather.
Check-in was fast and efficient and the receptionist could understand English and kept our luggages for a couple of days while we went to different cities to explore.
Room was small but this is Japan and to be expected. Nonetheless it was clean and the bed was comfortable and room was priced fairly. No problems recommending the hotel to others.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located near the South exit of the Sapporo JR Station. In fact, the end of the walkway from the hotel to the station leads to the Namboku Line, making it easy to get to the popular Odori/Susukino sites for the Sapporo Snow Festival.

Seen some recent reviews re non-smoking rooms - wrote personally to the hotel quoting them my booking number etc and asked specifically for a non-smoking room and was given one upon arrival. Rooms are an average size by Japanese standards but was good enough for 2 people.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Melissa-G87
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The hotel is just opposite Sapporo station exit, very convenient for foreigners who are not familiar with the city.

Room is small but it's normal in Japan, it's clean anyway. Reception can speak good English.

Good for budget traveler.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We made a booking online for a non-smoking room, We arrived at Check in and was told that there were no more non-smoking room available, As we are both non-smokers we didn't want a smoking room but we were given no choice but to take the room, The Lady went off to check with here manager to see what she could do about the situation but the best that they both came up with was to spray the room with vanilla spray which lasted about 10 minutes

Beside that the room size was good compared to other places that I have stayed, It is also in a great location about a 2 minute walk to the Sapporo JR Station and connects directly into the underground shopping Center

But I would never stay there again the smoking rooms are repulsive and there is no way to get away from the thick stench of smoke in the Room

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends