Toyoko Inn Sapporo Susukino Minami
$62
$101
$71
  • Restaurant
Sapporo Tobu Hotel(Sapporo)(Great Value!)
$132
$42
  • Restaurant
Sapporo View Hotel Odori Koen(Sapporo)(Great Value!)
$84
$44
  • Restaurant
Sapporo Prince Hotel(Sapporo)(Great Value!)
$57
$53
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnice breakfastspacious roomvending machineinnstohoshuttlesubwaystationonsen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The good: the rooms are large - probably the largest you can get in Sapporo for the regular rate. The rooms are also clean. There is a separate little kitchenette area with its own sink where tea can be made.

The bad: the service is execrable. It has the nasty, sleaziest staff I have run into yet in my tour of Japanese hotels (this is about hotel number nine). There is no expectation of privacy. Staying here was a downright creepy experience. The maid had a bad habit of rummaging through my garbage and gossiping about the contents. I booked this place by accident - meant to stay at Toyoko Susukino Kosaten, instead. I did end up spending a few days at Susukino Kosaten. It was fine. This place is quite out of the way - I think Toyoko sends the incompetents here where they can do the least amount of damage.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank J K
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here in Oct. 2012 with my Mom while we were visiting Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan. Although my Mom stated she had actually wanted to reserve the Susuki no Kousaten one (since that one is more nearer to everything and within a more reasonable walking distance), I personally on the other hand had absolutely no complaints with this particular Toyoko Inn being just a bit further away from it all. If anything, I would have to say that this was the best Toyoko Inn I've ever stayed at (out of 4 different locations I've stayed at in the last few years).

The main reason would be the fact that the room that we ended up getting, which was literally right across from the elevators, was seriously the largest Toyoko Inn room I've seen to date. Toyoko Inn's are not exactly known for their spacious rooms, but this was definitely the exception and I was surprised at just how much space there was. I'm not sure if all the other rooms at this particular location have big rooms, but I'm assuming that it's just the ones across from the elevators, as when I looked at the floor map, it appeared that most of the other rooms were smaller.

The complimentary breakfast at this location was also the best served, out of the previous Toyoko Inn locations that I've stayed at in the past. I especially liked the arabiki sausages - they are what I look forward to eating every time I am able to visit Japan:-) The dining area at the Susuki no Minami location was also one of the nicer dining areas I've seen and eaten at - it's pretty spacious, has a very relaxing atmosphere to it and has a TV.

If you absolutely need to be in the center of what's going on in Sapporo and do mind walking extra to get to your hotel, then this may not be the place for you. Personally, I absolutely do not mind walking at all (I'd rather walk than drive to places, so I may be one of the exceptions) and Japan in general is a safe country to begin with, so I did not feel uneasy or fear for my safety at all, during the times my Mom and I walked at night. If anything, walking around in Sapporo is quite easy, as the city's streets use a grid system, so you'll be able to navigate around quite easily. This location has a free shuttle, but just be aware that it only runs certain hours. The shuttle picks you off and drops you off at the Sapporo station.

As with all the other Toyoko Inn's I've been to, this place has free Wi-Fi, which was very helpful during the time I stayed here. A couple of years back, I believe most Toyoko Inn's offered free internet service, but you needed an ethernet cable, so it wasn't technically wireless, but thankfully, it seems like they upgraded to wireless throughout, which is nice since from now on, you wouldn't need to bring your laptop with you (just a smart phone/tablet is sufficient), unless absolutely necessary. Toyoko Inn is probably one of the best options out there for those who are traveling on a budget, and for travelers that prefer complimentary breakfasts and free Wi-Fi. If I ever am able to return to Sapporo in the future, I'd be more than happy to stay at the Susuki no Minami Toyoko Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Kahanalei
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I intended to book the Toyoko Inn near Sapporo Station but mistakenly booked this instead. Luckily, I was swiftly guided by the hotel staff to the free shuttle bus which took me to the correct hotel. The hotel was slightly off the beaten tracks, so I made good use of the shuttle from then on.

The hotel staff spoke reasonably good English and the room was spacious by Japanese standards and very clean. Free wifi available throughout the hotel and a few PCs are available for use at the main lobby. Breakfast was basic but still palatable.

Card access required for use of lifts, which provides a sense of safety and security.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

A distance from the main happening place in the city that means some walking will be needed. We faced some glitches when we serve the internet, probably too many people are using it. But the place is a pretty nice place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shalom73
Reviewed January 5, 2013

... except this one is in a slightly less desirable location in Sapporo, but not by much, it's only slightly off the beaten track.

There's not really a lot to say about Toyoko Inns as they are what they are: the best value mid-range option in Japanese cities. So for that alone, they should be praised. The usual standards prevailed here - polite, helpful staff, clean rooms and common areas. All was absolutely uniform, predictably and reliably unimaginative. The only issue I had with this particular hotel was that the breakfast was absolutely vile and required a significant wait. Hotdogs and salad for breakfast? The Japanese alternatives were similarly unappealing.

The minor grumble aside, there's not much room for complaint with Toyoko Inns.

Room Tip: If you're staying or travelling in Japan for a while, take their offer of the discount card, it pays for itself after two bookings.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends