“One step above a hospital room...maybe.”

Sapporo Grand Hotel
Ranked #14 of 176 Hotels / Ryokan in Sapporo
Reviewed February 8, 2013

From a western perspective...The room was fine but very outdated. The food was awful. I had stayed in more modern hospitals with much better food, then what we just experienced in the Sheraton Grand. Service was typical to Japanese standards, which was great. Overall, I would not recommend it for the price.

• Stayed: February 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,616)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the Sapporo Grand to take in the Snow Festival. I had a basic double room (double bed). It was small but clean, quiet, with a very pleasant interior. However it did not have a safe which bothered me. Regardless of how crime free Japan is on average I prefer rooms with a safe. The room provided an appliance for heating water but coffee was not offered in the room which would have been nice (at least to coffee drinkers). The TV provided limited options for English speakers. The only news option (BBC) was on the satellite mode and the bilingual option on the remote did not appear to work for the satellite mode. The remote has 3 options: TV, BS and CS. The latter is a satellite feed. I am not sure what the other two options represent but the bilingual button on the remote seemed to work on BS. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. However, there did not appear to be any overt program to assist persons with navigation of the Snow festival (at least for non Japanese) which I and my relatives found surprising. I mean it was the biggest event in Sapporo at the time of our visit. The information available in my room said little about the festival. It would have been very appreciated to be provided highlights, tips, etc. Interestingly, this modern hotel appears to only use regular keys vice cards. The main breakfast option in this hotel is Noda. The buffet is below average by comparison with my experience with other similarly priced hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here twice and my recent is Dec 2012 trip. I had wanted to change after my first stay in 2010 but my travel agent insisted it has a great location which I can't denied. The rooms are pretty worn out, and the breakfast so so. And there is no onsen. Think will have to change my travel agent or research for other hotel myself.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank YC N
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I liked the service we received from the receptionists to concierge to the room cleaning crew. However the facility itself is in dire need of a makeover. It is a 4 star hotel in the service it provides. But the physical state of this hotel is what I would expect from a run down 2 star hotel. SORRY!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed at the Sapporo Grand Hotel from Sept. 7-13th, 2012. Was told this is where the Emperor of Japan would stay when in Sapporo, (That must have been in the 1970's when the hotel was built!) This hotel provides 4 star service: the employees maning the reception and concierge desks were all very helpful , considerate, going out of their way to assist. However the "bones" of the hotel, specifically the original building (I cannot speak about the annex or newer part of the hotel) are in desperate need of remodel. The carpet is stained...there is a musty smell in the hallways (we were on the 8th floor). At one point the hallways wreaked of vomit! The hotel room was definitely ample. Of the 4 hotels we stayed in during our 2 wk. trip this was by far the roomiest. Space comes at a premium in Japan! (I gave the room a rating of AVERAGE...but the room size deserved an EXCELLENT, while the carpeting, wall covering and stained sofa deserved a POOR rating.)The wall coverings were dated, the bedspread as well, However the linens were clean. On the other hand the bathroom (also dated) is in dire need of a makeover. The hotel tubs in Japan are not caulked, There must be a drainage/water collection system between the wall and tub. Every time water ran down the wall into this cavity out would come dark, moldy/mildew flakes.The room temperature is controlled centrally and was not kept at a comfortable temp. I was always hot. The lobby on the other hand was always cool.The hotel lobby definitely aspires to a look befitting a 4 star hotel, The Sapporo Grand Hotel seems to have a case of "split-personality", The double bed room we stayed in just isn't what we expected after walking into the lobby and reading reviews! The hotel is in a great location, close to the municipal government building and Odori Park. The Botanical Garden and 2 museums are also close by. There are many restaurants within walking distance (including 2-3 restaurants inside the Sapporo Grand Hote we didn't try). The Sapporo Train Station is a few blocks away and can be accessed underground in bad weather.. Sapporo is a very nice city...I enjoyed it, However I do not think I would stay here again unless the hotel were remodeled. Service was great but I expected so much more....

Room Tip: I was told the ANNEX building of the Sapporo Grand Hotel is kept a degree or two cooler. We had the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank vmktizabi
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel for a conference. Rooms are small majority are single twin beds, very old hotel. Hardly anyone in the hotel spoke English. Very over priced for what you get. Breakfast food was cold every day.Bars close at 11,00pm in hotel every day even though its says open till midnight.

Room Tip: probably only the suites on 4th floor may be good the rest is very ordinary
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank carolm37
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked a triple room and was given a spacious room on the top floor of the Annex building. Since the Annex building is west facing and the air condition was preset at 25C, the temperature inside the room exceeded 30 degrees even after midnight. The hotel was not to blame because the daytime temperature was 33C in Sapporo during late July when we visited and the preset temperature was not efficient enough to cool down the room. We asked for a room with either windows that can be opened or with adjustable air conditioning. They provided us smoking rooms in the Main building where windows could be opened and took the trouble to show us the rooms. However, since those rooms were all deeply soaked with smoke from years of serving smoking customers, it was impossible for us to stay there with children. They understood our concerns and finally moved us to the non-smoking floor in the East building so we finally settled down in a comfortable room after 2am.

The breakfast was not exactly as we anticipated. It was a pleasant and slightly above average buffet but not comparable to the one at Hotel Nikko JR tower. Pastries and bread tasted worst. Not much fruit was available. Cream of corn soup was great.

The location is unbeatable and we used the new underground walkway a lot. Parking was 1000 yen and was quite efficient. WiFi available free in all public area, including the restaurants. Beware that a small bucket of ice cost 300 yen.

Room Tip: East wing only!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family