“Solar Eclipse Trip”

Ranked #7 of 2,386 Hotels in Hangzhou
Cayman Islands
“Solar Eclipse Trip”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed one night, 21st July 2009...to see the Solar Eclipse on 22nd ....would agree that some tired aspects, but still good value. Room was spacious and comfortable. We booked at one rate and when we arrived we were told that there was now a "special" on for that night and the price just about halved....can't get better than that!!! (Manchester United are due to stay on 25th July...my son was devastated we had to leave). We cannot believe the room rate didn't double because of the Eclipse....plenty of people came just to view the event...but no commercialism whatsoever was evident...not even a commemorative T Shirt....

Rollaway bed was provided very quickly, while we were out...also a plate of oranges and complimentary tin of cookies from the pastry and chocolate shop in the lobby (obviously advertisement, but welcome nonetheless)....they also added extra shampoo etc without us having to ask (i.e. they realised that we were three in the room and upped the amenities without prompting).

Room was on the no-smoking floor, and so was “smoke smell” free...however the lobby was very "smokey" at times....I recommend the wonderful afternoon tea served in the comfortable sofa seating area, but the smokey atmosphere took away some of the enjoyment....but then as stated elsewhere...this is China....

Breakfast buffet great and good value.

The bathroom was clean, well presented and very functional...bath and shower in separate "wetroom", which we loved....great amenity tray with everything from razor to cotton buds, folding hairbrush to toothbrush kit...but no emery board...which is what I needed most that night.......typical!!!

Only downside was the pool and spa...whilst the pool itself was fantastic...wonderful view and warm water, getting in was tricky. After a long journey and with scorching outside heat, a swim was much needed. However...you have to go into the beauty spa leave your room card, sign a form and get a locker key, before they will open the barriers...literally a metal barrier. This is not explained anywhere, so it is only by sign language that you eventually discover the “system”. At first I thought we were being turned away.....Also strictly speaking the male entrance is by the spa and the female entrance is right over the other side of the hotel.....a good two minutes walk around the carpeted mezzanine floor.... Also the “Jacuzzi” is really spa suite inside the separate beauty salon...and is then separated again for men and women...this proved problematical as I went to the pool with my young son who is nearly 10. We had to leave the pool area to go to what we thought would be a Jacuzzi back down the ramp to the beauty salon... a female attendant who spoke no English showed us to the separate entrances for men and women....and tried to insist my son went alone into the male spa!!!! Of course I couldn’t let that happen, so when it became obvious this was the only option we went to go back to the pool...then she gesticulated and allowed my son to go in with me...however I still did not realise that it was a full blown spa suite...the attendant showed us to the “Jacuzzi” past some ladies in various stages of undress, (I had to cover son’s eyes...)....I realised within seconds we needed to leave...but she pressed on, got us to the gorgeous looking spa pool with various plunge pools etc....and then told us we had to undress......However she realised I couldn’t allow that either...for everyone’s sake, so we had a quick dip (literally about 2 mins) in the spa pool, still wearing swimming costumes, and high tailed it back to the main swimming pool.......Now I am not necessarily complaining about this....I wish I had been on my own because the Spa looked fantastic.....I just wish that there was a card in the room explaining the system a bit so that you are forewarned. I mentioned this to a Western manager (I think German, but may have been Austrian or Swiss) at check out, he agreed that to the staff and very regular customers they got to know the system, but to a new guest is was a bit confusing and the greeting at the pool with arms waving you back down the ramp very unwelcoming.....

Concierge service was excellent... for example we wanted to know when the river bore was to be, they didn’t know. One of the staff asked us to come back later...he took the time to research on the internet for us and printed off the bore table (a bit like a tide table) (in Chinese) and annotated it for us with the times.....Another found us a “table” for my sons solar eclipse viewer, actually one of the umbrella stands, and because it had no flat top...went out of his way to find something to put on top.....Enough of the staff spoke enough English for us all to get by.....

Great stay overall...once we got over the pool issue...my 10 year old would have spent the whole time in the pool if he could...it is a lovely design.....the Eclipse was great, cloudy but not dense enough to obscure totality (over 5 mins)... The heat however was blistering....we went for a lake tour, very interesting and scenic...but too hot to follow through the whole way.....My Husband sums up Hangzhou as “Lake Windermere with a city full of skyscrapers tagged on”..... The dancing fountain was a novelty...but I agree if you stayed a few nights it would certainly get on your nerves...but finishes at 9pm so does not disturb sleep.....The Lake View Rooms did just what they say on the label...give a great view of the lake and hills beyond...with pagoda like temples scattered around.....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed July 21, 2009

The Hyatt Regency Hangzhou is a wonderful facility with excellent service at a beautiful location right on West Lake. You'd have to decide whether it is worth the money, but it's a very nice, Western-style international hotel. The service was friendly and helpful and everyone spoke English very well. The buffet breakfast is also very good, Being able to step out onto the walkway surrounding West Lake is also a very nice treat. The surrounding international shopping district provides many familiar shops (but you can also find authentic Chinese places if you know what you're looking for).

The swimming pool is a special treat--large, clean, and intended to give you the sensation of swimming in a lake, rather than a confined pool. There's also an interesting outdoor plaza on the 4th floor.

I do have to agree with the other reviews that cigarette smoke can often be smelled in the lobby. While the lake view rooms are scenic, some might get annoyed at being able to hear the music played for the dancing water fountains just outside every half hour or so during the day.

All of this does come at a price (and internet is an added charge), so you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Shanghai
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Ok, I'm torn between giving this property a 3 star Average vs 4 star Very Good rating. Having spent two nights here, I would have to say we were MOSTLY pleased with our stay.

The 'Good' first...
Pros:
~ This property has an incredible location right on West Lake - it's hard to beat. We had a lake-view room which also overlooked the nightly water show. Beautiful.
~ The staff and the service were good. They were helpful in providing restaurant recommendations and quick to deliver the baby cot as requested.
~ Around the corner from the entrance, there is a Starbucks/Hagan Daaz and a 'mall' with Zara and Muiji.
~ The pool was fine.

And now the 'Less the Great' ....
Cons:
~ The rooms are tired and the lobby / common areas are dated.
~ All of the doors in the room are not solid wood but covered with some kind of wood-look laminate. The laminate on the bathroom had started to peel away from the door probably due to the moisture in the bathroom. Every time we opened/closed the door the laminate would get caught and make a loud 'cracking' noise.
~The rooms were reasonably clean but definitely could have been improved upon.
~As prior reviewers have mentioned, there was a lot of smoke. But this is China and smoke comes with the territory.

All of the 'Cons' listed above are not deal-breakers when you stay at a mid-level hotel; one can even expect some of these things. However, this hotel is very expensive (one of the most expensive Western hotels we have stayed in while in China) and hence, my indecision on assigning an overall rating. Even taking the great location into consideration, I really don't think this hotel is a good value for your money and it is certainly not up to Hyatt's typical standard.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Mumbai
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt for 2 nights. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is facing the lake. From my room I had a clear view of the lake. In the early morning the view outside was fantastic. I had breakfast in the hotel on the 7th floor restaurant. There is an open terrace outside the restaurant which has a garden on it and is very well laid. The hotel room was very good. It had a well designed study table. There was free internet connectivity in the room.

• Liked — The location of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
canada
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We stayed in this hotel Sept 2008.

The location is fantastic, you can't find a better location in Hangzhou than this. it's right across the famous West Lake. The water funtain show in the night is impressive, you can see it from your hotel room, or you can just walk out the hotel and watch it. the Sturbuck and haagen daze ice cream are right besides the hotel. There are many restaurants close by. Shops too.

The service is very good too. They helped us to find the taxis that had seat balts. They helped us to book the shows.

It's worth the money to have a room that has the lake view. It will make your stay much more pleasant.

The pool is fantastic. We used it every day and enjoyed it.

The breakfast was very good. We didn't eat in the club, we eat in the main restaurants. The selection was good, and the food was very fresh.

If we even visit Hangzhou again, we will definitely love to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
australia
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I am an expat who has lived in Shanghai for 2 years now. I have been to Hangzhou 5 times since living in China and have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time, I loved it, but I did have to fight for what I believe represented value for money. The second time around, I really noticed the problems with this hotel. For one, it is outrageously overpriced. Secondly, the service is not particularly friendly and the rooms are very small (especially if you have a family!). Thirdly, it is extremely smoky and I believe that standards have dropped considerably at this hotel in recent times. It's time for this hotel to get their act together before they really pay the price. Just look at the recent reviews! This hotel was no. 1 on Trip Advisor not too long ago! Not impressed. I have now discovered the Crystal Orange and will never look back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
shanghai
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Best location in Hangzhou and very clean. Great pool. Too liberal with smoking policy - the lobby is always full of smokers and smoke. Buffet in restaurant is very good but they have a bad habit of putting bits of meat and seafood in the rice, potatoes and other vegetables - ruining it for vegetarians.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family