“Best Location in Hangzhou”

Hyatt Regency Hangzhou
Ranked #11 of 2,443 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Right on the West Lake, with easy walks to view the temples and parks. Rooms were very nice, service staff was very attentive (front desk walked me to the elevators, bellman showed me all the functionality in the room, room service immediately removed tray). Room was extremely clean, with nicely designed bathroom. Temperature control worked well!

The big key to this hotel is the location, right in front of the lightshow and near the area activities. I only had one overnight there, but took a great walk through the park to view one of the temples on the lake.

Very expensive place though!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel, which is very smoky, for five days. It is not non-smoking as advertised, and confirmed before I flew to China given I have breathing difficulties. Several days in I started to have serious difficulty breathing. The hotel was unable to find me an English speaking doctor, so it took three days on my own to get the paperwork completed required for the airlines for me to return to the US. In the interim the hotel did nothing to help. They charged me full price for my stay despite my needing emergency airlifting back to the US due to their false advertising, and failed to even be contrite about the situation which has had long term health consequences for me.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank repeatedly_xpat
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The Hyatt in Hangzhou is fantastic. The service is the best I've ever had, with the manager actually meeting you in reception, giving you her card and making sure you are happy all the time. A bowl of fresh lychees is provided every day to your room, the lakeview rooms are fantastic and the bar is quite something too. I didn't try the restaurant, but the location is so good with all the bars and the promenade just there, that you won't be able to stay indoors too long. Yes, it;s quite expensive, but it's worth it if you want to pamper yourself.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This hotel remains consitent in quality of rooms.
However buffet dinner is very average
Location is best if you want to stay on the lake and many options outside the hotel to eat and drink

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AjmMelbourne
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed here in July and were wowed by the experience. The lakefront rooms provided not only a lovely view of West Lake, but also of the nightly water/ light show, which occurs every half hour. My whole family loved the rooms- they were clean, nice bathrooms, plus some of the most comfortable beds we have encountered in China (land of the rock hard beds).

The pool is spectacular, clean, well staffed, and very beautiful. My family rated it as the best, most friendly pool in China.

The breakfast and dinner buffets were the best we encountered in China. The hot food at dinner is prepared fresh- no lingering in hot trays! You pick out the piece of raw meat at the counter and it is grilled to your specifications, with seasonings and sauces to choose from. The roast duck/ pig section has whole pieces hanging in a window, much like being in a street market (but much more sanitary and better quality). You point to what you want, and the server takes it down off the hook and slices it for you. The roast duck and pig had crispy skin, not soggy like so many other buffets. The fresh fruit section had freshly shelled and seeded lychee nuts, as well as the sweetest cherries. While pricey, the quality of the food and preparation sets this buffet apart from the rest of the top hotel buffets in China.

After nearly a month of travel throughout China, my whole family rates the Hyatt Hangzhou as one of the best highlights of our visit. Make sure to request a high floor room with a lake view- it is well worth the surcharge. Also, rooms at the center of the curved building provide the most direct view of the West Lake and water/ light show. You can enjoy a cool, comfortable view of the lake away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a high floor, lake facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My granddaughter and I stayed here for 5 nights in June -- we hadn't expected to be there that long, but due to flooding in southern China, we were unable to go to one of the cities on our itinerary. The hotel was able to extend our stay, and we had a lovely large room overlooking the lake. In the evenings there are a number of street artists outside the hotel and on the walkway next to the lake, and there are lots of families enjoying the singers, musicians, etc. We enjoyed watching all of that activity. We depended on the services of the Concierge often and they were always eager to help us figure out restaurants, bikes, taxis, etc. We found the service to be excellent and very kind.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I had the opportunity this last week to stay at the Hyatt Regency Hangzhou. Hangzhou is one of the most picturesque cities in China and is a must see because of the West Lake. The hotel is literally 100 yards from West Lake and many rooms have a fantastic view of the lake. Service at the hotel is excellent, especially in the Hyatt Regency Club on the 8th floor. Food is very good as well, including a dinner buffet that has many seafood selections. I will definitely go back to this hotel during my next business trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business