“Very comfortable room with good location”

Merchant Marco Hotel
Ranked #40 of 2,418 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay here. Rooms were comfortable and clean. The location is conveniently located to west lake as well as shopping centers and food spots. Did not try the food in the hotel but was able to try the restaurants close by. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Merchant Marco Hotel

Reviewed June 4, 2013

this is a gem of a hotel! from the outside looks "meh" but when you get inside it's something else. the rooms were clean and comfortable. the breakfast was excellent! we paid something like 500 RMB and imho, it's definitely worth it. the west lake is just 10 mins walk away. highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Not a new hotel, so the deco is slightly dated. It was under some renovations during my stay (Jan 2013) but everything went well except the weather. Location is good and within walking distance to Xihu. There is a night market just across the road. Nice breakfast but do not expect much western choices. Many small details are being taken care of. Will be back here if I am to go Hangzhou again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am currently staying at this Hotel, as I write this... I must say, I am very happy with this Hotel...
1/.The Bed is Sooo Comfortable! A BIG Plus+ when staying in any China Hotels (generally in most Chinese Hotels, you find the carpeted floor much more comfortable than the bed)... but this bed is just like home!
2/.it has been a hot steamy summers week and the rooms Air-conditioning is good.The rooms are modern and clean..The house-keeping staff are curtious,attentive and friendly, though don't speak much english - but try to please.
3/.Breakfasts are wide choices and varied.. Western, Chinese and Japanese.. and are fresh and of high quality and presentation. It is a big spread!..The chefs don't speak any english but cook specail requests for you with a smile for you and no fuss. The waiters are good and the Dutch breakfast Manager- Erik, speaks perfect English and cannot do enough to keep the mostly local and some international guests very happy.There is another Dutch lady assistant manager at reception speaks perfect english and is to happy to help with any communication problems. I had a few problems and she sorted it out quickly.
I am here for 9 days, for holidays and a little business. They upgraded me to Executive room because of renovations on lower floors and the relevent noises during the day..... This confirms to me, that they are on the game! (renewing facitlities and keeping high standards. (AAA+++ to me!).. some Hotels let facitilies run down.
4/.Internet is good in rooms..generally fast and reliable.. though a can be little slow for short periods of time.... but I am on holidays, so don't really care!
The only thing lacking, with this Hotel (because of recent hot days)...is the hotel has no pool or spa.. but for what I am paying - I am not complaining..
I used to work in Hotels years ago and see this Hotel as 4.5 stars by western standards.
Hotel has high Western standards...Highly recommended.
Would not hesitate staying here again.

Room Tip: ask for rooms away from renovating floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Philip M
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a good hotel. Stayed here 7 nights during our adoption of our daughter. The staff is friendly and prompt. The room we were in on the 15th floor was spacious. Breakfast was ok but after 7 days of the exact same thing anything gets tired. Restaurant in hotel is expensive and not worth it. Go to other restaurants within walking distance. The Hong Kong style restaurant beside the hotel is ok but you never know what you will get. Call for Pizza Hut or PaPa Johns pizza, they speak English and price is good. You can feel good if this is where you are staying and I'm picky. No real problems to report. Had my wife,5 & 15 year old sons, and my newly adopted daughter there all week. So far, this is the friendliest city I've been in in China. I've stayed in several cities in this country over the last 3 years. Headed to Nanchang next week. We'll see from there....

Room Tip: 15th floor is the executive floor and it's worth the price. No kids activities. Bring some in...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were in Hangzhou on business and this hotel is convenient. It is located in the city centre a couple of blocks from the subway. The staff are friendly and the room was comfortable and clean. The heating in the hotel seemed out of sync as our room was very hot. A 10 min walk to West Lake and shops - not much in immediate vicinity of hotel to eat. We also found a Carrefour supermarket a few blocks away. One negative was some other guests on our floor smokiing, leaving their room door open so the smoke wafted into the passageway and partying very loudly. We didn't complain, however it was quite unpleasant.

Room Tip: I'd be asking for a high level room as the road below is quite noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Janice G
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I booked this hotel via Ctrip and stayed here from December 18-21, 2012 with my girlfriend.

When I arrived at this hotel, the bellboy promptly came to take my luggage. At checkin, I was told that they didn't have rooms with Queen bed, only with twin beds. As I wanted a Queen bed, they upgraded me for free to a business room.

Free fresh fruits were provided everyday.

I really enjoyed layout of the room and the bathroom. The bathroom had a roomy shower and the bathtub was one where you pulled the curtains (this was useful as I could hang clothers on the rail).

The room temperature was a bit cold and I had to get maintenance to adjust the vent. They did fix the problem and were very prompt in doing so.

The hotel is very close to the West lake and other popular attractions and is only a short ride away from some of the other popular attractions and shopping centers. I could almost always hail a taxi right outside the hotel (Do not use the taxis that are parked outside the hotel, they will scam you). There is a great restaurant next to the hotel and certain other restaurants are within walking distance. It is great that the hotel is so tall because sometimes when I was close to the hotel but not sure where I was, I could see the hotel in the distance and walk towards it.

Internet is not free in the room but there is free wifi in the lobby.

When I checkout, two of the bell boy went to hail a taxi for me and loaded my luggage.

A pretty awesome hotel for the money I paid.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple