“A very average hotel in Hangzhou” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake

Ranked #11 of 2,258 Hotels in Hangzhou
India
“A very average hotel in Hangzhou”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Firstly i feel cheated for paying a higher price for the "West lake avenue view room". The lake avenue has nothing to do with lake view, it means the view of the road that leads to the lake. The rooms by themselves were good and freshly furnished. The spa was not functional and they did not let the gents use the steam bath but had one for the ladies. Is it that men cant use steam bath in Chinese culture? A better choice would be Shangrila by the lake

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Aman-Tekriwal
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Aman-Tekriwal ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We will work hard to improve our facilities, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in near future.

Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Pecs, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I think the room was upgraded because I stayed on the 5th floor. Big room, big bed, big desk, comfortable bathroom.
I have never seen such a well equipped room even in better quality West European hotels.
It was really very relaxing after the busy days.
Ruler, scissors, pen, calculator etc. in the drawer of the desk.
The West Lake is on the other side of the road.
Wide selection for breakfast on the 6th floor. Also some foods that are more familiar to the European stomach :-)
Very polite staff.

• 5 of 5 stars
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear George B ,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake!
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. All Sofitel ambassadors aim to create the feeling at home for guests. I’ very pleased to hear from you that you had a wonderful time in our hotel. I hope you will become our close friend!

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

A clean hotel with all amenities. Has a nice lobby lounge which is good for short business meetings. Rooms are roomy, clean and well maintained. Wifi is good and fast. But you need to watch out if you are vegetarian and eating in the restaurant off the lobby. You need to order with clarity.
Service is excellent and the server is concerned about doing a good job.
All in all a good experience.
I would go nthere again, if in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the front or the right side of the hotel, when facing it. On other sides yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Seshamani,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake! Our hotel is centrally located just a few steps away from West Lake. With the exquisitely designed rooms, we strive to make every guest feel comfortable and convenience. We have been committed to provide a comfortable and elegant living environment. I'm glad that you had a wonderful time at our hotel, and I am looking forward to meeting you again at Sofitel Westlake Hangzhou!

Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

It is a little daunting to try to pick a hotel in a place you have never been and one that your friends or family have never heard of. I guess that is why TripAdvisor is so popular and such a great service. I had a business meeting in Hangzhou – WestLake, China. The Sofitel Hotel, Shangri-La Hotel and the Dahua Hotel were recommended by the meeting organizers. I picked the Sofitel hotel because of the ease in booking the reservation, prices offered and the confirmation after the booking process, but most importantly the location. I have to say, this was the best and most satisfying hotel stay (for business) I have had is a long time. The check-in process was flawless, reception staff extremely responsive and communicated in English very well. I had booked a luxury class room and was upgraded (a smile and courtesy goes a long way in China) to the 5th floor club level which provides breakfast and evening happy hour. The room was excellent, very clean, quite, well appointed, fabulous bed- linens- bath etc. The location of the Sofitel Westlake is perfect, across the street from the park that is the hub of the beautiful and historic sights of Westlake.
What made this stay so perfect was the hotel staff. Extremely professional, well trained and providing a genuine customer care attitude. The view from the 5th fl club lounge is magnificent. The complimentary evening cocktails, beer, wine and an excellent spread of Hors d'oeuvres, fruit & cheese was extraordinary and well appreciated. The morning complimentary breakfast for club level guests, in the same location, was outstanding, with quick made to order egg service. I can’t say enough about the excellent experience; except that I am sure it is due to their superb Director of Food and Beverages, Mr. Philippe Gueltzer. I saw Philippe inspect each service and he greeted each guest to make sure they were comfortable and their needs attended to. The lobby concierge, Jerry, was world class. His helpfulness and customer service attitude was infectious. He obtained a taxi for me to tour the area for 2 hours before I had to go to the airport, negotiated the price, instructed the taxi driver on where to take me and be sure to bring be back satisfied. The taxi driver would call Jerry during the tour to confirm the stops we made and see if I wanted to go to several of the cool tourist sites and pagodas, this was Top Class Service! Check out was another efficient and professional experience, certainl

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Stan S ,

Thank you for your positive feedback! I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. As part of Sofitel Value, we strive to chasing excellence, constantly to get one step closer to perfection and push our service better. I’m very pleased to hear from you that you are satisfied with our service and I look forward to meeting you again at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake!

Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel is run down and tired. The staff is very nice and accommodating, but can't make up for the poor facilities. Despite the Sofitel's website, the hotel does not at present have a gym on premise, nor a spa. The room furnishings are heavily worn and threadbare. Life is not manifique at this Sofitel.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Condor28
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Condor28 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We are making efforts to improve our facilities, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in near future.