“Decent but definitely not worth the money until renovations are done”

Ranked #15 of 2,414 Hotels in Hangzhou
Shanghai
“Decent but definitely not worth the money until renovations are done”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This review is an update from a previous stay 3 years ago. Last time the hotel was getting old and the food was horrendous. This time... well let's say that time has not been kind to this Sofitel.

Except for a surprisingly good experience in the Club lounge, everything was disappointing. Not bad mind you, but disappointing. Decent hotel but definitely not worth the money unless you need that specific location.

Rooms: spider webs, cracking paint and aging bathroom. Need I say more? Really? Spider webs on the ceiling? At a Sofitel?

Pool: renovation
Cigar and lobby lounge: renovation
Gym: renovation
2nd floor meeting rooms: renovation
You get my drift. This hotel *might* be a good place to stay in 6 months (Xmas 2013) when renovations are done. Don't expect to stay late. Not only do the renovations wake you up, but the marching band practicing at 7am right across your bedroom won't help. Unless you find the sound of drums soothing, that is.

Now for the good:
Location: fantastic. The hotel is right by the lake, walking distance to nice bars, restaurants cafés and your usual row of Starbucks and Costa. Very nice and convenient. Even taxis were easy to find this time around.

Club lounge: for Rmb148 you get a free flow of alcohol daily 5.30 to 8pm (incl. sparkling wine and VSOP cognac) & soft drinks, plus a nice selection of snacks & petits fours. This was (sadly?) the highlight of my stay. The staff was amazing, refilling my glass as soon as it got empty, bringing hot food to me instead of waiting for me to go to the buffet, and even went the extra way by bringing my chair and table outside on the terrace (5th floor) on the (real) lawn. Niiiiiice experience and view. Many thanks to Andy!

Staff: definite improvement over my last stay. They don't pretend to speak French anymore, but they have been well trained and are efficient and courteous. Good hotel management obviously.

I repeat my conclusion: Decent but definitely not worth the money unless you need that specific location. Might be worth it again when all renovations are done at the end of the year (2013).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the lake: no good view anyways, and you'll avoid some of the noise. Get a Club r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FredericN26
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear FredericN26 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer. We appreciate your sharing your concerns about our guest room and other facilities, and this situation will definitely change in the near future. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.

Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jefferson, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Since 1999 when my wife and I retired and started traveling, I have chosen Accor Hotels over any other, when possible.
After our stay at the Sofitel West Lake, not again!
The lack of any A/C in our room caused us to roast like a turkey. Our complaints fell on deaf ears. When we were checking out, we were told that the hotel A/C had been turned off (season change) and we could have opened a window. Not at $300.00 a night, I will not.
Since returning home I have e-mailed our complaints to Sofitel/Accor Hotels, home office, four times and North American Reservations three (3) times. seven complaints, no response. If anyone at Sofitel/Accor cares, I still have all documentation and can tell you of approximately 150-200 nights in Accor hotels from Paris to Argentina - Romania to China.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank james75657
SofitelHangzhou, Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to write a review and tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake.
I'm sorry for your unsatisfied stay at our hotel, and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. For the A/C issue you mentioned above, we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am surprised Accor calls this property as a Sofitel 5star... It is probably worth an Ibis status.

The only thing going in its favour is probably the location. Just across the road from the lake and the night spots around it.

The overall experience was so bad for our entire extended family (10 persons) in 4 rooms, that we were glad to leave the hotel. The stay actually dampened the entire experience of Hangzhou, which in my opinion is quite an attractive travel location in China.

We were all on the club floor and had access to the lounge. I have not seen any lounge in the world where there is a limitation on the overall daily services provided. If they ran out of food or drinks allotted for the day, they would refuse to serve the customers. It was indeed like standing in queue to get your daily ration. Truly an experience of communism.

Over the weekend they had a wedding at the hotel (we were told 150 guests). Weddings are always good business for the hotels. This was the first hotel I have ever visited, where the party was at the cost of services to the resident guests. The restaurants & room service were closed for the evening. Apparently since the staff could not handle both!!!

We made a compliant to the staff in the lounge and also at the reception. In any decent hotel, leave alone a star hotel, we would expect the manager to meet and clarify the next morning. But at this Sofitel here, there was no response from the management at all. This just confirms the fact that this was not an isolated incidence but a regular level of service at this particular hotel.

I could not believe the girl at the Club Floor reception when she told my son that the WiFi in the hotel does not cover our section of the floor!! It took some convincing to arrange for a portable router in the room to connect to the LAN cable provided.

To top it all this was the most expensive hotel I have stayed in anywhere in China (I have been visiting China for past 6 years), including Beijing & Shanghai, which are much bigger cities.

I would literally warn any potential holiday makers to steer absolutely clear of this bad-mess hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Mr.Rjagga,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review and tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. I am very sorry to learn from your review that we did not meet your expectations for service at our hotel. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns about our club lounge, and we will arrange relevant intensive training immediately to prevent future occurrence of these issues. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Lighthouse Point, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Rented two rooms at the Sofitel. We heard the daily construction of renovation which the hotel needs to keep up its Sofitel reputation as a luxury hotel - currently the rooms show a lot of wear and tear. The top floor (5th) serves a delightful breakfast, lunch & cocktail hour - not only is the food delicious but the presentation is splendid. There is a lovely patio on the 5th floor with a view of West Lake. Everyone that works there seems to go the extra mile to be helpful and this easily made up for the worn condition of the rooms and lack of Wi-Fi. If staff did not understand us, they found a staff member who could help. After checking out, we realized that we had left passports and a substantial amount of money in the room safe. Returning to the hotel we found that the housekeeper had turned everything in and the rest of the staff were concerned that we were returned everything (down to noting all the bills numbers). The location is superior - within walking distance of the lake and shopping on Hefang Street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Sir:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Inside the Sofitel is a delightful Teppanaki Restaurant serving the freshest of fish cooked in front of us by one of their trained chefs. We asked for a light dinner--fish, vegetables, and fried rice. It was perfect--quality ingredients served up with panache. They were worried we didn't order enough food for two people so they doubled up on the fried rice at no extra cost. The hotel staff were friendly and charming and couldn't do enough for us.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is the club floor, offering happy hour, free sodas 24 hours, and a lovely place to sit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam:

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Almost all of the sofitels I gave stayed in in china have been worthy of the term 'luxury hotel', but the hangzhou Sofitel is an exception. If it had been classified as a four-star hotel and priced accordingly, I wouldn't have minded but as it was it was disappointing. The foyer was small, the rooms were old, noisy, tired. The pool was minuscule and so full of chlorine it gave our child red eyes for the next six hours. The restaurant on the sixth floor was crowded and too many tables for the small space.

And to top it all, it was very expensive, in the same rice range as the Four seasons on the weekend we were there.

An embarassment to the Sofitel brand in china. I suggest giving the hotel a complete makeover or ditching it completely.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Sir:

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Daegu, South Korea
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake is luxury hotel.
very kind man at check in (but not woman)
we want nonsmoking room..
nearby one room open the door & window
at that room several mans smoking heavily..
The corridor is full of cigarette smoke!! ㅡ.ㅡ
tomorrow same...
but the breakfast is excellant..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam: