“grossly over-rated”

Ranked #13 of 2,351 Hotels in Hangzhou
jaipur,India
“grossly over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have had some nice experiences at Sofitel in different locations and most have been nice, so few weeks ago i booked the same in Hangzhou.There is good ambience and food is above average (though not super), i found the staff reluctant and un-happy! Also the tariff is very steep, compared to similar luxury hotels in the same city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
Your comments concerning the air conditioning are well noted.

Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We attended the design week in Hangzhou and wanted to stay on the lake, we are Platinum with Sofitel and have enjoyed other properties around the world. To our disappointing surprise this was nothing close to a Sofitel property or even close to representing a western hotel. The rooms are old dirty and noisy due to old windows. Food in the lounge was better just forgotten. The front desk staff was none helpful and lacked any social graces expected with Accor.

Sofitel/Accor remove your name or tear it down!

Room Tip: Skip this one if you can!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam:
Your comments concerning the air conditioning are well noted.

San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Sofitel Hangzhou has excellent services, clean and comfortable room, well located and reasonable price by Hangzhou standard, nice lobby.

The hotel is located at the end of West Lake Blvd, a short few minutes walk thru the underground walkway to the West Lake, which we used many times to walk around the park by the lake. There is really nothing by the hotel, no shop and no restaurant, but they are about 10 minutes walk north, a busy trendy shopping area behind Hyatt.

The hotel is a long building sitting perpendicular 90 degrees to the lake, unfortunately that means the rooms face the West Lake blvd or apartments behid the hotel, no room has West Lake view. I booked club level deluxe room and our room was the club room closest to the club lounge and the lake, there is a partial view of the lake from the Bay window if you stand there and look left. While being next to lounge is good but also means a very walk to the end of the corridor, not convenient. I always want club room near to the lounge in every hotel when there is such room, but in this hotel's case, that was not a good choice.

Taxi is easy. Breakfast is very good and large. Most staff are well trained and professional.

The service level at the 2nd floor business office by 2 different ladies on 2 occasions were not up to standard, they just did the bare minimum as asked, without any extra efforts to help nor advise. I asked for a printout of train schedule, only 1/4 page came out, she did not make any extra effort to get it right, I had to ask repeatedly but still no result. Also did not offer anything extra, word or advise, this turned out to be a huge problem for us later on. Business office lady was not able to buy sameday D train ticket to Yiwu for us, told us to buy at the station, different lady a day before did not tell us that. But once we got to the station, there were 10,000s people there, found the ticket hall with my wife standing elsewhere in the station guarding the cases, a huge hot hall with 1,000s of people waiting in 30-40 very long lines, a very scary sight, I asked several other Western tourists waiting in lines, but none of them knew much, which line is for what or when. Automated hall is out on the other side, rushed there but eventually found out one must have a Chinese ID. This turned out to be a major effort but I managed to get 2 standing-only tickets almost at the last minute, very difficult task. The boarding of the train was also a scary experience, the crowd, the rush, the stairs with suitcases, I fell down on stairs with my suitcase, etc.. The lady or staff could have just said a few words to warn us about it. Maybe there was nothing they could do, but at least one little extra effort could've gotten us into the right mental state, find alternatives or abandon the Yiwu journey, spend 2 extra nights in the Sofitel.

We always love Accord hotels, especially Pullman, this Sofitel is up to that standard with the exception of the business office staff, but that turned out to be a huge problem for the guests. Theye did not ask me about Accor membership and did not record points for me.

With all due respects, and dispite the excellent servcies by most, I will not stay here again, there are better choices, even at double prices, I'd gladly payhundreds of dollars more just to avoid the problem at the end.

Room Tip: NO room has West Lake View,
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SofitelHangzhou, General Manager at Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam:
We very much appreciate your time to review your stay at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Your comments concerning the need to renovate the hotel are well understood and indeed the Owner and Sofitel will commence with such a program this year.

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my first trip to Hangzhou, and I was very happy to be staying at the Sofitel. I liked the location (walking distance to Westalke), and the breakfast was amazing! The selection of the breakfast was from all over the world, and very high quality, as long as you don't go to breakfast too late. The location of the hotel is walking distance to many good restaurants and bars. It was a great place to travel for business or for vacation. My only complaint is the hotel staff did not speak English very well. They knew certain phrases, but outside of these specific phrases, there was a pretty huge communication barrier, which is typical of Hangzhou.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces the busy street, so it may be best to request the less busy street if yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Guilin, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was my first stay at the Sofitel Hangzhou Westlake.I had a pretty good stay at this hotel,with impressive lobby and friendly staff at the front desk,they were really very helpful.The hotel is in a great location. You can actually walk to the Westlake.
I will come again once I am in Hangzhou.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Asia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I followed the recommendation of Eyewitness guides to book this hotel, which may be for me the only affordable 5 dollar sign recommendation by Eyewitness guides in all of their series. The service and the room were sharp and French thoughtful. All staff are friendly and helpful. But there are only few rooms have a Westlake view. Most of the rooms either face a traffic heavy boulevard, or have views towards local residents' kitchens (no, no shower room view). The hotel should be good for people needing a solid night life activity, as I heard the hotel may be the five star (World standard) hotel that is closest to the bar district in Hangzhou. You may need to taxi to some high end shopping area if you want shopping, since walking other than along the lake side may diminish your happy experience in Hangzhou.

I did not designate an excellent rating was because of the hotel's French restaurant. Their patisserie has much rooms to improve. The Hangzhou cuisine restaurant, however, is superb; with a higher price tag you can eat safely, and save the taxi fare to the famous restaurants in Hangzhou.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights- near the west lake, cozy room, good service, food good as well. Will be my choice again if got a chance traveling in hangzhou- beautiful city indeed!!

It's kind of old fashioned judging from the look of the building, but really well maintained and provided hotel rooms.

• Stayed July 2012