All reviews living area flat screen tv rain shower boutique hotel mini bar west lake relais makeup exudes bedroom villa bath amenities toilet china chinese
Reviewed March 27, 2016 via mobile

My hubby & I stayed at chaptel hangzhou during the weekend, we wanted to try the style of the republic of china period. I felt that the good parts of the hotel are: 1) spacious room with elegant deco; 2) comfortable bed with good quality bed linen; 3) hotel staff are trying their best to help us out. However, the bad parts are: 1) the air-con is too noisy during the night; 2) sound insulation is very poor, maybe because of the structure of old building; 3) there's no cotton bud&cotton pad in the bathroom which is very odd for this level of hotel; 4) maybe because of the current construction project in hangzhou for the G20 summit, the surrounding area of the hotel is soooo dusty. I guess it's the bad timing for us to be here…

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Cathy P, Front Office Manager at Chaptel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2016

Dear tomatojar,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to share your experience of your stay at Chaptel Hangzhou.

We are delighted to know that you are satisfied with the decoration and ameneties of our Hotel. Our hotel was restored from the Lakeside Village, which was built in the 1930s with a Shikumen Style, meaning Stone Gate Townhouse. The decoration of our guestroom followed the Art Deco style which fourished during the constructon period of the Lakeside Village.

Regarding the issue of unwanted sound. We sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience. Due to the structure of the townhouse, we have tried our best to improve on sound insulation without altering the structure to retain the Replubic of China style of our guestroom.

Concerning the issue of missing cotton bud & cotton pad, they are placed inside the dresser drawer on the second floor. Shall you need any assistance on finding amenties inside the guestroom next time, you may contact our butler and they will be more than happy to assist you.

The construction project of G20 summit is coming to the end, please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments as your comments are valuable to us for improving our service. Shall you have other queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to serving you again at Chaptel Hangzhou.

Reviewed August 19, 2015

Chaptel Hotel is a low profile with luxury construction style just near the West Lake of Hangzhou. Ancient architecture with a sense of sophistication was the key factor that attracted me a lot when I stayed in Chaptel. There are some beautiful places for visitors, such as Xike Hall, Fangben Room, Yuanshi Room and Tingzijian Suites•Afternoon Tea, which are included in the best service degree. It is said that this elegant hotel used to be built as The Memorial Hall of Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea, but now becomes a landmark near the West Lake. No words can be described for Chaptel but elegance, quietness and vintage.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
hong n, Manager at Chaptel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2015

Thank you for your stay. Chaptel Hangzhou is the only member of Relais & Chateaux in Zhejiang Province. Only 3 minutes walk away from hotel to the West Lake. Our hotel is a typical historical & cultural boutique hotel highlighted with a great tradition of the Republic of China Era. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 15, 2015

This place is an elegant architectural feast to be enjoyed! After horseback riding in the mountains of Mongolia and sleeping in a tent for a week, we treated ourselves to a few days at Chaptel Hangzhou before going to Shanghai. What an oasis of beauty, comfort and delicious food at the hotel's restaurant. Each "room" is a three story townhouse decorated in a cozy subdued Chinese motif. It reminded me of a place you would find in Singapore, with it's gorgeous 4-poster bed and plantation shutters on the windows. They brought fresh fruit when we arrived and drinks in the refrigerator were included in the price. When we returned in from dinner in the evenings I found fresh rose petals in a bowl by the huge bathtub. The separate shower is a dream as well: Large and cleverly enclosed by movable glass walls. The service by Zara and her colleagues was outstanding. A place I will never forget and hope to visit again! Worth every penny!

Room tip: We took the only suite available, # 8, but I can't imagine a bad suite Be sure to dine at the hotel's French restaurant
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your stay at Chaptel Hangzhou on tripadvisor.com

It is great to read that you like Chaptel Hangzhou.

We hope to see you soon again and do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations here at Chaptel.

Thanks again!

Reviewed May 16, 2015

My family and I had the pleasure of staying here in January of 2015. My aunt and mother stayed in one suite while my husband and I stayed in another. Surprisingly, this place is nestled in a busy area , but it never sounded nor felt like a busy neighborhood. It is walking distance to west lake. If you wake up early enough, you can see the fog settling on top of the lake.
The outside of the building has only been mildly polished, as it is considered a historical landmark. Some may say it seems old but I think it is very tasteful and gives you a very nice hint of Chinese culture. The staff members are all very well dressed, polite and helpful.
The suites remind me of villas or condos. You get a two story "home" which includes a living area (flat screen TV hidden by sliding panels, table is always stocked with snack and treats), small eating area, fully stocked mini fridge (contents refilled daily and included in stay), as well as a half bathroom towards the back. As you climb the hardwood stairs, you pass by a separate shower room containing an extra large soak tub (with rose petals and aromatic bath oils ready on the side) as well as a shower to rinse off in the corner. Continuing up the stairs, the next opening is a small hallway which leads into the bedroom but not without passing by the master bathroom (toilet/makeup desk, robe closet). The bedroom is equally decorated, complete with TV, high ceiling with fan, locking safe, mini balcony. There is an open rooftop patio awaiting you should you decide to continue up the main stairs. The decor is simple with a mix of modern and asian fusion. The bath and shower room has built in ground heating so you are not freezing while enjoying a rainfall shower or soaking in the tub.. The restaurant is exquisite in decor, fancy food and exceptional service. My breakfast was included in my stay so I really cannot comment on pricing. However, I did take a gander at the regular menu pricing and it was pretty pricey.
I would not recommend this place for elderly folks due to the stair access for one floor to another. The floor glaze/shine also makes it prone to falls when in socks (please keep this in mind if you are bringing your kids). Other than that, this is a beautiful place to stay.

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
FENG D, Public Relations Manager at Chaptel Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2018

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Chaptel Hangzhou is the only 3 minutes walk away from hotel to the West Lake. Our hotel is a typical historical & cultural boutique hotel highlighted with a great tradition of the Republic of China Era. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 8, 2015

Chaptel Hotel is Zhejiang province’s only member hotel of Relais & Châteaux Association, and is inclusive of the Museum of Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea Hangzhou. Conveniently located in downtown Hangzhou and only 3 minutes from West Lake, Chaptel Hotel is surely at the heart of the city’s history, culture and refined lifestyle. My stay here is unforgettable!

Date of stay: December 2014