“Nice hotel but very hard bed”

Grand Metropark Hotel Hangzhou
Ranked #33 of 2,366 Hotels in Hangzhou
Los Angeles, California
“Nice hotel but very hard bed”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed here on a guided tour of China for one night. The hotel is nice although I can't speak much about the area as we were in and out pretty quickly. The room was comfortable although the bed was very hard. I normally prefer a hard mattress but in this instance I was somewhat uncomfortable.

The breakfast buffet was good and the hotel was clean and in good condition. Nothing too extraordinary but nothing to seriously complain about. For what we needed it served its purpose.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Hi, my wife and I just spent Tomb Cleaning weekend in HangZhou. The hotel is close to the West Lake - about 3 blocks away. That is the only positive. The rooms are so-so. The breakfast buffet is also so-so. Check-in was absolute chaos -- not organized at all. No English speaking TV stations - none (except for CCTV#). No AC! The bed was as hard as a saltine cracker - no Westin or Sofitel that's for sure. The concierge spoke no or little English. The price of room maybe ok, but if you are use to Western standards, stay away from this hotel. PS. Be careful with opening the windows if you have a baby or small child. An accident waiting to happen!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VolinAsia
Porto
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Stayed here for two nights in November 2008!

It's not a bad hotel, although it has classic / old furniture, but overall was clean!

A super large bed, and very confortable, free internet and the location too, make this hotel a good choice!

Negative aspects: very small bathroom, and the staff which was very young and abusive! They wanted tips at all costs! Happened to me two times with different employees!

But yes, I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Bed, free internet
  • Disliked — Staff and the very small bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Scotland
Reviewed April 6, 2008

If you like sleaze then this is the hotel for you. Otherwise, don’t even think about booking. I came here for a conference but fled to the Shangri-La as soon as I could. The positive side of the Metropark is that it is cheap, but that is also its negative side. It is simply not possible to get anything close to five-star quality for £40-£50 a night, even in China. I should have known better. So what was wrong with the hotel? The hotel looks like a five-star hotel, but after 10 Minutes some problems appear. The rooms are OK, but some of the windows have never been cleaned. The food is disgusting. I got a mild form of food poising that could be blamed on the hotel food. I had the naivety to use the Health and Recreation Center for a sauna and a traditional Chinese massage after a long flight. The staff seemed astonished about these humble requests, because I presume the place is rather doing most of its business as a massage parlour. The dressing room is attended by sleazy men who try to help you undressing for a hefty tip they demand later. The massage is done by women. I presume I was assigned the only one actually doing a proper massage – and she was very good at it, but the other girls seem to be there for other types of services. If you like that you will be very pleased I suppose. Otherwise, fly and flee!

• Liked — It is cheap
  • Disliked — It is too cheap
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Zwulf
hongkong
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We stayed seven nights. When checking in, were forced to sign a deposit of 150% of our 7 nights stay!!!! Checked into newly renovated room at 17/F. Found a note saying hotel had taken pains to "treat" the toxic fumes as a result of "recent renovation." We switched on aircon full blast, then went for dinner. When we returned, central air con switched off, and the whole floor was eerily quiet. The fumes were terrible, and after 10 minutes, called to ask for air-con. My two kids were starting to cough. After 20 minutes, the lobby sent someone up to say "No, we cannot switch on the air-con, we can OPEN THE WINDOW for you. There was NO GRILL on the window!!! I said are you guys mad? Are they aware we have two little children? On the 17/F???
Went down to lobby again and demanded they change our room. A guy in charge showed me a shabby, noisy room on the 5/F, right next to the highway bordering the hotel! I said no, and asked for the upper floors which had not been renovated. Went to 19/F and the guy wasn' sure which rooms were occupied. He lied that all rooms were taken, but when I pushed several door bells, none responded. Finally, he put us in room in 19/F. The next morning, the deputy GM called to apologise and said we would be given a suite. I said really? In the end, they did not give us a suite but another room at the 20/F. For breakfast,, they wanted to charge the second person, even though the room came with bf for two!! The breakfast staff was rude and insisted they were right. After 20 minutes, they said they made a mistake, but did not even bother to apologise. I insisted on the apology. After that, she greeted me with a surly look for the next 6 breakfasts!

Don't even touch this place with a barge pole - stay away.

• Liked — The cleaniless
  • Disliked — Obnoxious, dishonest staff, unreasonable,excessive deposit and rooms not ready for rentng out.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business