“You get what you pay for”

Best Western Hangzhou Meiyuan Hotel
Ranked #71 of 2,414 Hotels in Hangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I go to Hangzhou for business at least once a month and whenever I am in Hangzhou, I either stay at the Best Western or the Hyatt. My advice? Splurge a little and stay at the Hyatt if you are looking to experience Hangzhou as a tourist.

This entire hotel is dated with poor staff training, I am a Mandarin speaker and still find it hard to communicate with them and get things done. It regularly takes 3-4 front office staff 10-15 minutes to check me into my room. I will say however, that the ladies at the Business Centre have always been professional and very helpful; they will be happy to purchase train tickets for you if you are looking to make a trip to/from Shanghai or other cities.

The rooms are spacious but old, there is no guarantee that the air conditioner will work in summer, and no guarantee that the heater will work in the winter. The restaurant serves a wide range and variety of breakfast and dinner buffet foods but everything is mediocre. The hotel's location is inconvenient and far away from most tourist hotspots.

There are many hotels located on the West Lake that are, although pricier, a better value for money and you will have a MUCH better stay in Hangzhou. Be sure to go to Xihu Chuntian for lunch or dinner (101-102 Nanshan Lu).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank iridiscent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
US
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I had the misfortune of staying here for 2 weeks in September 2010, and it was an absolute nightmare. (I was actually booked for 3 weeks, but switched hotels after I couldn’t take it anymore.) Please don’t make the same mistake I did by staying here.

There were many problems, but the biggest by far was the air conditioning.

The hotel advertised individually controlled A/C in the room on their website, so I figured it was a good choice for hot and humid Hangzhou. For the first week the outside temperature was mid-90s and humid, and the A/C worked great! The room cooled down very quickly and stayed cool. No complaints there.

But when the outside temperature dropped to mid-70s the following week, the room became very hot. A worker told me that hotel management intentionally disabled the guest room A/C units to save money due to the “cool weather outside.” Meanwhile, my room on the 8th floor was 80-plus degrees and very humid - extremely uncomfortable!

When I complained, the exchange went something like this:

Me: “My room is very hot. Please turn the A/C back on.”

Them: “You should open the window.”

Me: “The window only opens a few inches, and there’s no circulation or fan to bring cool air in. Plus, I paid for A/C. Please turn it back on.”

Them: “Actually, there is a mechanical problem with the A/C. Do you want me to send a mechanic to your room?”

Me: “No, we both know there is no mechanical problem. I know that management turned off the A/C to save money on the customer’s dime.”

Them: “Who told you that?”

Me: “It doesn’t matter. Now please stop lying to me and turn the A/C back on.”

Them: “Ok, fine. We did turn the A/C off, but only because it is so cool outside. We’ll turn it back on now.”

The A/C was back on within ten minutes. But a few hours later, they turned it off again.

This happened nearly a dozen times. I’d call and we’d go through the same routine, with them pretending that it was a mechanical problem, or that they had no idea why it was off, or that they had no memory of my previous complaints. I’d insist that they turn the A/C back on and keep it on. They’d agree enthusiastically and turn it off a few hours later.

So at night I’d wake up soaked in sweat and have to call. First thing in the morning, I’d have to call. At lunchtime, I’d have to call. At dinner, I’d have to call. And at bedtime, I’d have to call. Day, after day, after day.

I spoke to lackeys, assistant managers, and the manager himself. It didn’t make any difference. They all tried to use the mechanical excuse, they all played dumb, and they all eventually promised that the A/C would stay on and then turned it off soon after.

As far as I am concerned, they are a bunch of thieves and liars. The hotel charges higher rates because they offer “Western” amenities such as A/C. They take the extra money, but don’t provide the amenity. Stealing, plain and simple.

Keep in mind that I was booked for 3 weeks and at a price of nearly $2,000 (USD) for the privilege. I was surely one of their highest paying customers, and look at the “customer service” they provided. How do you think they would treat you during your stay?

Hopefully by now you are ready to stop reading and find another hotel. But just in case you need more convincing, here’s the rest of the story:

I booked a non-smoking room. I am mildly asthmatic and sensitive to smoke, but I haven’t needed an inhaler for many years because I avoid smokers and always book non-smoking rooms.

They put me in a smoking room with smoke so concentrated that I was dizzy and puffing the inhaler before I even had a chance to complain.

When I recovered enough to talk to the front desk, the exchange went something like this:

Me: “I reserved and prepaid for a non-smoking room, but you gave me a smoking room. I need to switch rooms immediately.”

Them: “We only have 5 non-smoking rooms, and they are all booked.”

Me: “Right. One of them is mine.”

Them: “Sorry, they are all taken by other guests.”

Me: “Then why did you confirm a non-smoking room when I made the reservation? I never would have booked here if I knew there were only smoking rooms available. This is unacceptable.”

Them: “Well, we actually do have one more non-smoking room…<giggling with several coworkers>…it’s a ladies’ room.”

Me: “What does that mean?”

Them: <more giggling and whispering> “It’s *pink*.”

Me: “Fine, whatever. I’ll take it.” And I walked away with them snickering behind my back.

They put me in a shoebox of a room with barely enough space to walk around the bed, much less unpack a suitcase (no discount for the reduced size, by the way). The bed was tiny and low, and there were dim moon and star nightlights on the wall as the main source of lighting. It was cramped and uncomfortable, but it was also non-smoking and I was exhausted. I took it and went to bed.

I was soon awakened by the pounding of loud dance music. Figuring it was from a nearby guest’s room, I called the front desk and asked them to quiet it down. They called back and said they heard no noise in the hallway, but they would send someone to my room to check it out.

The person they sent barged wordlessly into my room to check the music speakers in the bathroom, as if they were the only possible source of the noise. It was completely obvious they were not - especially once they were unplugged (duh!) - but she didn’t speak any English and ignored my attempts to explain by gesture. She continued to investigate the unplugged speakers and talk into her walkie talkie as I fumed in my pajamas.

She then turned on the tv, put the volume all the way up, and walked out of the room with the remote. Since the buttons on the tv unit were disabled, I had no way to turn it off besides unplugging it, which I did.

The woman returned a while later with another worker and shot me dirty looks for turning off the tv. She turned it back on full blast while she and the worker prodded the unplugged speakers together. Meanwhile, I emphatically gestured that the speakers had nothing to do with it. They both completely ignored me and didn’t even acknowledge my presence.

They again left the room with the remote (tv blaring), despite my calling and gesturing to give the remote back. So I unplugged the tv again, sat on the bed, and listened to the thumping music.

They returned with a uniformed mechanic carrying a full toolkit (no joke!). There were now three employees stuffed into my tiny room, poking the unplugged speakers with tools, talking into walkie talkies, and ignoring the thoroughly disgusted customer sitting on the bed.

At this point I was so fed up that I started looking for other hotels online while they attempted to tame the wild speakers. But then I realized it was the middle of the night, I was exhausted, and I didn’t want to deal with switching hotels in an unfamiliar city at that hour. Hopefully I’d just fall asleep despite the noise. So when they left, I was relieved and figured I might fall asleep.

Not long after, there was a knock on my door. I opened the door to see five – yes, FIVE! – workers, and the manager. He was the only one who spoke English, so I explained the whole circus I had just witnessed and told him that the music was obviously not coming from the speakers.

He smiled and said, “Right. The music is coming from the hotel bar.”

What?!

It took 5 workers, a mechanic, the manager, and 1.5 hours for them to figure that out?! Surely I couldn’t have been the first guest to complain about the noise. I believe the whole spiel with the speakers was an act to make it seem like they were addressing my complaint, while they knew full well that the noise was from the bar and would continue all night. (This theory certainly fits with the pattern of them making up stories about the A/C.) In the middle of the night, they figured, it wouldn’t be long before I gave up and left them alone.

The manager offered me their “only other available room,” which was smoking, but he claimed it didn’t smell like smoke. I warily followed him to check it out. As soon as I walked in, I started to feel short of breath and told him I couldn’t stay there because it was smoky.

He actually LAUGHED in my face and said it didn’t smell at all. I repeated that I wouldn’t stay there and had to retreat through the herd of employees in my pajamas to the noisy room for the night. The other workers didn’t speak or do anything during this process, so their presence served no purpose other than to create a spectacle and humiliate me.

The next morning, they did manage to switch me to a smoking room that didn’t smell like smoke – at least it didn’t smell when I moved in, that is. The ventilation system was such that you smelled smoke in your room anytime anyone on the floor lit up. And we’re not talking about faint whiffs here. We’re talking about a smell so strong that you wondered if someone was actually smoking behind you in your room. It really was that strong of an odor, and it continued sporadically all day long.

Some more reasons to avoid this hotel:

Rewards points
- I am a member of the Best Western rewards program. I presented my rewards number at check-in, but they claimed to have no idea what I was talking about, even when I had my Chinese coworker translate. I then went back to my room and found an advertisement for the program in both Chinese and English.
- I spoke with the Rewards Customer Service Center before my trip to add my rewards number to the reservation. Since I booked through Expedia, they said I was not automatically eligible to earn points. However, the hotel could choose to reward them at their discretion. At the end of my stay, I went to the front desk and presented my rewards number *with* the flyer from the room so they couldn’t play dumb. They said they wouldn’t provide any points – not even as a small gesture of making amends after this awful experience.

Front desk and common areas:
- Several workers who didn’t understand my English pretended they did, instead of admitting it and giving me the opportunity to ask someone else. For example, one made up an address in Chinese for the taxi driver because she didn’t understand where I wanted to go. Since she sent me to the wrong side of town, it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to a destination that was only 20 minutes away.
- The lobby and common areas are filled with smoke. It’s overwhelming and pervasive.
- The two elevators are poorly programmed so they both respond to the same call. For example, someone presses the button on level 9 and both elevators go to level 9. Meanwhile, someone on level 1 has to wait until the empty elevator goes up to level 9 and then back down to level 1. Not a huge deal, but annoying in light of the other problems.

The Room
- The lighting was extremely dim. There is only “task lighting” that is directional and does not illuminate the entire room. In the bedroom area, there are only two tiny reading lights over the bed, one desk lamp, and one pole lamp aiming down at a chair. At night with all of the lights on, it was too dark to read unless I was directly under one of the lights. They need to install lights in the ceiling.
- The bed was extremely uncomfortable, even with the extra mattress pad I got from housekeeping. I am in my late 20s and have never had back problems, but my back ached terribly for the 2 weeks I stayed there. I never felt well rested.
- Between 7:30 and 9am every morning, there was nearly constant door slamming (we’re talking several slams per minute). I’m not sure what was going on because there were many more slams than rooms on the floor (housekeeping, perhaps?). So it was impossible to sleep past 7:30am because of the noise, even with earplugs.
- There are no drawers to put clothes away in, so you are forced to live out of a suitcase (not fun for a long stay). They easily could have fit an armoire or dresser, especially if they got rid of the huge coat stand.
- The closet rungs are oriented so clothes hang facing the doors (perpendicular to what you’d expect), and much of the hanging space is wasted with the built-in safe and closet configuration. So you can only fit a few shirts before the closet is full.
- There is frosted window between the bathroom and bedroom. When one person uses the bathroom during the night, the bathroom light shines directly onto the other person’s face in bed.
- The towels didn’t absorb water! Water just beaded on the surface, and the towels spread water around the counter instead of mopping it up.

Housekeeping
- The housekeeper used the same rag to wipe the furniture surfaces as the tile floor. Gross!
- They didn’t vacuum the carpet once in 2 weeks, and it really showed.
- I had the do-not-disturb sign up, and I got a call from housekeeping complaining they couldn’t clean the room. Perhaps I hung the sign because I *didn’t want to be disturbed?*

Bottom line:
This was a frustrating and humiliating experience. The hotel workers made me feel like requesting the services I paid for was unreasonable, and I could never trust them because I knew they had lied to me before. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this place. I certainly will never set foot there again.

Pros – Free and fast internet, good breakfast selection (included with room rate)
Cons – A lot! (see post for details)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank World_Travel333
perth
Reviewed April 2, 2010

China excels with it's 4star hotels, however the best western chain leaves a lot to be desired. all other hotels are spacious and cant do enough for you. Best western (made the mistake of staying in a couple!) is problematic, unhelpful, charges you extra for everything (wouldnt let my 10yr old eat when breakfast was included in price and charged extra for bed that wouldnt fit in tiny room)

dont bother!! pick another 4 star ... anything would be better than these guys.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tweetybird99
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 2, 2008

To many problems with the money, first they take a deposit of one night more than the nights you are going to stay, I had been traveling for 30 years all over the world, this is the first time, then when I charged for the restaurant they called me to bring more deposit, the deposit covered the 2 nights and the restaurant, it was only 3 dollars over, I sat at the restaurant, the bill was for 8 dollars they told me I had to put another deposit.
The only good thing they have is somebody that speaks perfect english and spanish and he is extremely helpfull. I think is they WEsternized the management on the rules it could be a good place to stay.

• Liked — nice room
  • Disliked — rules
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank manuelgdino1
BWAM, guest realtion manager at Best Western Hangzhou Meiyuan Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2008
Dear sir
Let me start by thanking you for refering your complaint about your recent stay at our property,which of course will help us to improve our serivce I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Best Western Hangzhou