“Too bad we only stayed here one night”

JW Marriott Hotel Hangzhou
Ranked #3 of 2,366 Hotels in Hangzhou
California
“Too bad we only stayed here one night”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel was part of our package tour. This hotel had everything we expected from a JW Marriott. From the personal service we received upon check in to the huge lobby bar and lounge to a very nice room, everything here was absolutey wonderful. Now for my pros and cons.

Pros:
- a big room with very comfortable beds
- lot of plugs for charging those cameras and iPhones
- an excellent breakfast buffet (the best we had all trip!). American, Chinese, Japanese selections with made to order eggs, fresh baked pastries, and fresh made noodles
- service in the lobby bar was excellent (my wife recommends the Lychee Martini for those who like fruity drinks)
- A big bathroom with lots of counter space
- 2 bottles of water in the room for drinking and brushing teeth

Cons:
- the toilet was not separated in the bathroom

Tip:
-Before you visit China, purchase plug adaptors (and possibly a converter). All of our chargers were rated for voltage that ranged between 110v and 240v so no converters were required (check your plugs). I bought 3 adaptors for $5 total including shipping a month before our departure. The only thing we needed a converter for was my wife's curling iron, which we ended up buying one for about $10 on our trip. Now she has an international travel curling iron for future trips.

Since we were part of a tour, and only stayed here for one night, I cannot give an accurate description of driving distances to any attractions or any surrounding areas.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have continued to become more and more of a fan of of Marriott's JW brand over the years and the JW Marriott Hotel in Hangzhou is an excellent example of everything the brand should stand for. I have used the hotel as a base of operations for my business team over the last 10 months and have racked up 70+ nights here over about 20 stays, so I am well familiar with what the property has to offer. To start, the property is new, fresh, bright and clean and even the most standard rooms are generous in size and possess all the amenities you'd expect of a hotel in this class. The 26th Floor Executive Lounge is a sanctuary, regardless if you are there for business or pleasure. I often take my breakfast and dinner in the lounge and find its quality of food and service to be excellent. The food at the hotel's three restaurants is excellent, starting with the ground-floor Asia Bistro (basically a giant buffet), right to the pricey Cru Steakhouse - probably the best place in HZ to get a western-style steak. Man Ho restaurant is among the best Chinese restaurants I've been to in HZ and rivals the excellent Jin Sha at the Four Seasons on the West Lake. The concierge team is very capable and on-the-ball when it comes to arranging complex logistics and the staff at the front desk, business center and executive lounge are always friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have as a very frequent guest and Marriott Gold Rewards member is that room upgrades are almost never given for guests at this level - even for someone like me who stays frequently and has brought over 1000 nights of business to their hotel in the past year. Otherwise, service, value and quality here is superb.

Room Tip: Book an Executive Floor room ahead of time online - it's worth it and will be far cheaper than w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Christopher U
Oak Park, California
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Hangzhou is my new favorite city in China, and the JW here is a wonderful hotel choice. Staff is friendly and on top of everything, rooms are superb, er fantastic by China standards.

We were only here for one day, and ate several miles away, so I can't comment on the location, but the lounge, the bar, and the restaurant were all top notch even by US standards.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Been to Hangzhou many times and this is the first time staying at JW. Arrived late and checked into a room (again!) next to a construction site, still excavating in the late evenings. Front desk immediately got me another room with an upgrade. Hotel is only 20 minutes walking distance from West Lake, if that is where you want to go. CRU steak house at the second floor is a must try, good steak and excellent service. Room is very clean and functional (DVD, VGA in/out, iPod cradle, etc). Internet speed is amazingly fast (a big surprise!)

Room Tip: Avoid the #09 rooms, the construction site next to building will start early and end late.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Though many of the facilities are shared between this hotel and the Courtyard brand next door, the rooms are a step up.

I normally stay next door but, this time they were fully booked. So to the JW I went and it was a nice surprise to see the improvement in the room quality.

Don't get me wrong the Courtyard is great but, the JW is better.

Highly recommended for those, looking for an upscale Hotel.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Wow! What a great hotel. Stayed here for 3 nights recently on a business trip. The place is located in the downtown area, not on West Lake (for some, this would be considered an inconvenience, but for me, it was great since I was able to avoid the worst of the traffic associated with the lake). My room was definitely 5 stars! Huge, ultra modern, with spectacular bathroom (separate tub and huge shower), sleepers, robes, great bath amenities. Bedroom was huge, with spectacular views of the city. Exceptional bed and linens. Flat screen TV in bedroom as well as bathroom! One of the most delicious Chinese restaurants I have ever experienced is actually located on the second floor of this hotel--fantastic food. Great customer service, easy to get a cab out front. Executive floor provides free breakfast, with great selection, newspapers, and internet. Absolutely recommend this hotel. Not so much for families, though, more for couples or business travelers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank drdmromeo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

This is the first hotel that I stayed at while traveling internationally, and I was so impressed with the room amenities, cleaniness, and staff. Stayed on higher floor facing the lake. Even though tipping is not expected in Shanghai, I could not help but tip Ben, who went way above and beyond to help us find our way. Would not hesitate at all to go back to this hotel.

Stayed March 2012