“Hangzhou at its best”

Ranked #4 of 2,365 Hotels in Hangzhou
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Hangzhou at its best”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Four Seasons lived up to and exceeded our expectations. From the beautifully manicured grounds to the exquisite suites, there is no place more serene and luxurious than this. The hotel has a great location just next to West Lake and the Impressions show. The rooms are well appointed and we were very pleasantly surprised by the welcome gift waiting in our suite when we arrived. We were celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary. Very nice touch, thank you! We were delighted by the staff, all of whom gave excellent service. Of special mention is Ben the Concierge, who helped us buy train tickets to Shanghai, gave us good directions and also helped us with buying Impressions show tickets.
The restaurants are very very good, a must try is the pyramid pork at Jin Sha and the Vinegar braised pork ribs. So delicious we clamoured for more!!
The suites are very well appointed. We had one that opened up to a brook and the gardens. Nespresso was a standard in the suite, towels and rooms were cleaned twice daily. Everything was refilled twice daily. Fruits were supplied daily without fail.
If you are not trawling the Lakes, spend some time at the lounge for Hi Tea. The cakes and sandwiches looked so good. Service was discreet and fast. Always with a smile.
The Spa service was also very good. The Royal Pavillion was very well equipped. Such beautiful environs and so serene. The therapists were also well trained.
We would give this hotel 2 thumbs up... thank you for making our stay so comfortable. Anyone who had anything bad to say are probably impossible to please.

Room Tip: Choose the garden suites, the sound of water is very soothing...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lin5858
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for your valuable feedback towards our hotel. It is our pleasure to provide you with a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tampa
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My expectations were high given this is a Four Seasons and I was still blown away by how great our stay here was. My husband and I were in China for two weeks on business and fit in 3 days of pleasure to celebrate our anniversary at this serene spot in the frenzy of China.

Our pick up at the train station, arranged by the hotel, was flawless and we welcomed the English-speaking staff member they sent with the driver. The hotel staff all speak good English by the way.

We were welcomed warmly by at least 5 staff members upon arrival and whisked right to our room for check in. What a nice treat to not have to wait at the desk to check in. Our luggage traveled with us for check in and it was nice not to have to wait for it to arrive later. The hotel knew it was our anniversary and gifted us with a nice bottle of chilled champagne ready and a large cake! They brought us two fresh rose arrangements, which was such a thoughtful and appreciated touch. We had a regular room, it was #215. The room was very large and comfortable. I liked the furniture and decor. My favorite was the terrace! With the windows open and with all the tress, it was delightful to wake up with birdsong and to watch them fly around. The sofa was conformable, the desk chairs were nice and they had a lot of plug-ins of several varieties with easy access on the desk. The large bathtub also near the windows made me feel like I was in a tree house. I would prefer a higher room than one on the ground floor. The trees did a good job of sheltering us and it felt very private. We ate a reasonably priced room service breakfast in the terrace room every day. It was two days into our trip until I realized the windows opened all the way!
Almost every light in the room is on a dimmer switch. Simple really, but a very nice touch. The lighting in the room was great, even the curtains had good lighting.

Our housekeeping was terrific. She noticed we drank a lot of water and the starting with the second day left us 6 bottles instead of 2. I also love how there are no large clunky room service carts in the hallways when housekeeping people clean rooms. They shut your door while they are cleaning. It's something I never noticed to appreciate until I never saw one. Just classy. They also have 2 chairs at the large desk, allowing for both of us to use it at the same time, which is impossible and not thought of at other hotels. This is a very minor point but speaks to the room standards. I always use one of the water glasses hotels put in the bathroom to hold my toothbrush and toothpaste. That leaves only one water glass. Here, she brought another glass out so there were two glasses in addition to the one I won't drink out of because my toothbrush is in it. I travel a LOT and have had the privilege of staying in nice hotels and no one has ever done this simple task before
The sound-proofing was great. We never heard another soul from our room and the HVAC was quiet. We slept very well!

We went to dinner at WLB and I was wearing a sleeveless sweater and the hostess came over with a blanket in case I got cold. I dropped my lip gloss when I took pictures of the lovely fountain they have at the front and someone brought it to me in the restaurant before I even noticed it was missing!

It was raining when we arrived so we went to the spa. They were able to accommodate us in an hour or so for a couple's massage and scrub even though we had not made advanced reservations. The spa was gorgeous and my hot stone massage was the best I have ever had. Yue Yue was my therapist and I highly recommend her. We also went back for foot massages later in our trip and that treatment was also delightful. I thought the prices for the spa treatments were average hotel spa prices.

We did not use the indoor or the outdoor pool. The grounds were gorgeous and we spent some time wandering the many gardens and hidden pavilions. It was so quiet and peaceful, I think I only heard a horn honk once at the hotel.

We ate at Jin Sha for dinner once. Ironically the concierge was to make a reservation, but we had to change the time, so we called the restaurant directly to change our reservation, and then when we showed up, they did not have it at all?! They accommodated us regardless, and the restaurant was indeed busy. The food was delicious. WLB had some nice western food, which was a welcome change for us with 2 weeks of Chinese. The french fries were delicious, as was the carp. Everything we ate there was great.

The Wifi was free but slow. You could pay to upgrade it to something faster but we were not there to work so it was not too much of a bother.
The staff was all very friendly and greeted us by name often. The concierges were all very helpful in coordinating our activities for the day, and getting our train tickets. They advised us to attend the Impressions at West Lake show, which was not on our radar to do and were thrilled we did it, even if it rained during the show. The hotel lent us blankets to take with since it was cold and we were not prepared for it. It's also terrific because you can walk to it from the hotel and it's difficult to get a taxi after the show. We were going to save the Linglin temple for our last morning thinking we could do it quickly and then catch the train but the concierge advised us to do it in the afternoon and recommended the botanical gardens for the morning, which was perfect. We appreciated his advice. Our trip would not have been as terrific without their suggestions.

The location of the hotel is superb! We only went into Hangzhou proper once and spent the rest of our time exploring West Lake. We enjoyed a boat ride around the lake and took cabs to the Longjin tea area where we saw the tea farms and visited with tea farmers, and had a tea tasting. The hotel will call you a cab that will arrive in minutes if there is not one already there waiting. We never had a problem getting a cab from the hotel. If you do take a taxi to the more remote places like the temples and pagodas around the lake, you may want to just hire your driver by the hour so you have a ride waiting for you. It can be difficult to find a taxi to leave.

Wines by the glass are expensive almost everywhere in China. I've seen that in other reviews here. The half bottle in the room was reasonably priced. We did have a bizarre mini bar experience. My husband wanted a vodka tonic so he opened the Absolut bottle in our room and found the safety seal already broken and then smelled it to find someone had replaced the Absolut with WATER. Thinking this is better explained in person, he went to the desk where he showed the staff who were aghast and apologetic and sent 3-4 free Absolut bottles to the room! How pathetic to stay at a nice hotel and then cheap out on a $6 drink? The hotel handled it brilliantly but I can't believe the behavior of past guests.

I'm allergic to cigarette smoke (which makes traveling in China a challenge) but we requested a no-smoking room and I never smelled cigarettes at the hotel. :)

If I had one quibble, it's only that they do not have oreos or peanut M & Ms in their minibar! My husband likes them when he travels to China. They did have some really good potato chips though. This hotel was simply fantastic. It appears very well managed and also maintained. I'm already looking for another Four Seasons to visit! This was our first Four Seasons and what an introduction to the brand. Xie Xie nin to everyone there for such a great time.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have a larger patio but people in the rooms on floors 2 and 3 can see and hea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HVB
Dear guest, our upmost gratitude towards your liking of our hotel’s facilities and services. We are delighted to know that you have had a memorable stay in our hotel. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.
West Lafayette
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great escape from the big city. The gardens in the hotel are extremely beautiful. I don't really like the furniture in my room. It's not convenient if you stay here without a car, because it has long walking distance from the city center and taxis are hard to get. Overall, a relaxing place for couples and families.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear guest, our upmost gratitude towards your liking of our hotel’s garden. The garden overlooks the enchanting West Lake to provide optimum relaxation and serenity. Our deepest apologies for any inconvenience caused in transportation. The hotel’s Concierge offers taxi calling service from the hotel. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

the gardens are lovely and the water effect on the grounds and outdoor is amazing. we have amazing rooms ..great size with big balconies overlooking the gardens. the whole feel of the outside being inside was so relaxing. Overall the hotel was louder than the usual four season deco but that was not an issue it was still very good quality and tip top

overall the service was amazing considering very few people in hotel spoke english or understood what we wanted. Travelling with three kids. the kids activities are limited and no kids for all seasons. but a lot of DVD are on loan and the pool was a great place for kids to let off steam

The Breakfast we extremely limited but the chines restaurant although far was super yummy.

would go back again and again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, thank you for your positive feedback towards our hotel rooms, garden and service. Our room size starts from 63 sq m2 and it is the largest guest room in Hangzhou. Every Four Seasons property has a Kids For All Seasons and without doubt, we are also equipped with this facility. Many thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I found my room to be extremely dark. I had one of their grand premier rooms and the furniture was not welcoming, sofas very hard. Some of the photographs on the internet do this property favours. The grounds around the dining room and terrace area were glorious. Breakfast I thought was poor and uninteresting. I had stayed in four other 5* hotels in China prior to arriving at the Four Seasons, and I genuinely feel that the food here was a disappointment. I agree with another profile, that afternoon tea was worth experiencing.

Whilst I was staying at the hotel they had to do mosquito fogging.

I have had a query about an item that I believe I unfortunately left behind in my room, and am having some difficulty with this problem.

On balance, would I choose to say here again, probably not. I think this is one of those hotels that you really should be accompanied by someone special with deep pockets.

Room Tip: Hotel very spread out, and ideally you need to be on one of the corridors not too far from the main...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank aston1
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear guest, we are very sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations for breakfast. I have notified our Food and Beverage Director regarding this matter. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The exterior is lovely with ancient Chinese rooftop design. However, boy my two well-traveled grown-up sons & I were shocked seeing the 'tacky & loud' interior which was just glaring to the eyes with strong lighting & super shiny marble floor! The Chinese restaurant was an annoyingly long walk (5-10 minutes) through corridors after corridors. We dined at the western restaurant which was a joke! Service was below par (I agreed we were a bit late for lunch at 1:45 pm). The bread basket was the worst we have had: no brown bread, only simple cold white bread. The a la carte rocket salad was terrible with stale & small pitiful portion. The entree (pasta & sandwich) was average. We went to Amanfayun & glad to find the welcoming Steam House serving us freshly made steam buns & noodles.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Amy Y
Dear guest, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. As this is not the level of service we are known for providing, I have notified our Food and Beverage Director to ensure that our service is not compromised. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to regain your trust and confidence.
Beijing
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The food and beverage on site was a bit of a disappointment except for the weekday afternoon high tea, which was just lovely -- scrumptious goodies, excellent tea and coffee, served on terrace overlooking gardens, pond, and pool -- and a great deal, clearly attracting the locals as well as guests. The rooms were perfect, rich yet understated and soothing, with every luxury. Only quibble, the double vanity in the large bathroom was just a bit cramped. My wife spent several hours being pampered in the spa and reported her massage and facial were excellent and the treatment room and decor were absolutely topnotch, exactly what one would expect from Four Seasons.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe king room with an enclosed solarium balcony and a bathtub in the treetops.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimatmutianyu
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear guest, our upmost gratitude towards your liking of our hotel’s Lobby Lounge and room décor. We are also delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our Spa. Thank you for your constructive feedbacks towards our food and beverage and room facility. We sincerely look forward to your next visit.