“Excellent”

Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake
Ranked #3 of 2,428 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great escape from the big city. The gardens in the hotel are extremely beautiful. I don't really like the furniture in my room. It's not convenient if you stay here without a car, because it has long walking distance from the city center and taxis are hard to get. Overall, a relaxing place for couples and families.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear guest, our upmost gratitude towards your liking of our hotel’s garden. The garden overlooks the enchanting West Lake to provide optimum relaxation and serenity. Our deepest apologies for any inconvenience caused in transportation. The hotel’s Concierge offers taxi calling service from the hotel. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

the gardens are lovely and the water effect on the grounds and outdoor is amazing. we have amazing rooms ..great size with big balconies overlooking the gardens. the whole feel of the outside being inside was so relaxing. Overall the hotel was louder than the usual four season deco but that was not an issue it was still very good quality and tip top

overall the service was amazing considering very few people in hotel spoke english or understood what we wanted. Travelling with three kids. the kids activities are limited and no kids for all seasons. but a lot of DVD are on loan and the pool was a great place for kids to let off steam

The Breakfast we extremely limited but the chines restaurant although far was super yummy.

would go back again and again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest, thank you for your positive feedback towards our hotel rooms, garden and service. Our room size starts from 63 sq m2 and it is the largest guest room in Hangzhou. Every Four Seasons property has a Kids For All Seasons and without doubt, we are also equipped with this facility. Many thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I found my room to be extremely dark. I had one of their grand premier rooms and the furniture was not welcoming, sofas very hard. Some of the photographs on the internet do this property favours. The grounds around the dining room and terrace area were glorious. Breakfast I thought was poor and uninteresting. I had stayed in four other 5* hotels in China prior to arriving at the Four Seasons, and I genuinely feel that the food here was a disappointment. I agree with another profile, that afternoon tea was worth experiencing.

Whilst I was staying at the hotel they had to do mosquito fogging.

I have had a query about an item that I believe I unfortunately left behind in my room, and am having some difficulty with this problem.

On balance, would I choose to say here again, probably not. I think this is one of those hotels that you really should be accompanied by someone special with deep pockets.

Room Tip: Hotel very spread out, and ideally you need to be on one of the corridors not too far from the main...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank aston1
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear guest, we are very sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations for breakfast. I have notified our Food and Beverage Director regarding this matter. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The exterior is lovely with ancient Chinese rooftop design. However, boy my two well-traveled grown-up sons & I were shocked seeing the 'tacky & loud' interior which was just glaring to the eyes with strong lighting & super shiny marble floor! The Chinese restaurant was an annoyingly long walk (5-10 minutes) through corridors after corridors. We dined at the western restaurant which was a joke! Service was below par (I agreed we were a bit late for lunch at 1:45 pm). The bread basket was the worst we have had: no brown bread, only simple cold white bread. The a la carte rocket salad was terrible with stale & small pitiful portion. The entree (pasta & sandwich) was average. We went to Amanfayun & glad to find the welcoming Steam House serving us freshly made steam buns & noodles.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy Y

Dear guest, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. As this is not the level of service we are known for providing, I have notified our Food and Beverage Director to ensure that our service is not compromised. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to regain your trust and confidence.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The food and beverage on site was a bit of a disappointment except for the weekday afternoon high tea, which was just lovely -- scrumptious goodies, excellent tea and coffee, served on terrace overlooking gardens, pond, and pool -- and a great deal, clearly attracting the locals as well as guests. The rooms were perfect, rich yet understated and soothing, with every luxury. Only quibble, the double vanity in the large bathroom was just a bit cramped. My wife spent several hours being pampered in the spa and reported her massage and facial were excellent and the treatment room and decor were absolutely topnotch, exactly what one would expect from Four Seasons.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe king room with an enclosed solarium balcony and a bathtub in the treetops.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jimatmutianyu
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear guest, our upmost gratitude towards your liking of our hotel’s Lobby Lounge and room décor. We are also delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our Spa. Thank you for your constructive feedbacks towards our food and beverage and room facility. We sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Four Seasons has been thoroughly organised with our room reservations, transportation (train station transfers - we took a very comfortable and speedy fast 55 min bullet train ride form Shanghai Hongqiao station to Hangzhou) and restaurant reservations. The hotel does not have much of a frontage and you wont really marvel at their lobby entrance UNTIL you walk out towards their pool area - WOW! Simply breathtaking! We were particularly impressed also by their landscaping creativity and only wished we had the same gardens back in Cairns! I can imagine many westerners would enjoy sitting around their lush gardens (very peaceful ambience), reading their e-book or browsing through their Ipad in their quiet moments.

What makes this hotel stand out to us is their highly rated (and it still exceeded our expectation), it has peaceful lake views. We had dinner at Jin Sha on both nights and lunch on the last day we stayed there, everything was delicious and tasted somewhat different from the usual Chinese cuisine we ever had - perhaps Shanghainese with a touch of Sichuan? Not sure. Their Pyramid Pork was exceptional - I would go for seconds anytime if I didnt care about body mass - it is a must try and so is their Beggars Chicken. Hubby and I had their Peking Duck for lunch and man, it has to be one of our best (better than the best one we had in London - Min Jiang at Royal Garden Hotel). We were fortunate to be served by a young gentleman who spoke fluent English (others couldn't really) and provided prompt and excellent service.

Their buffet breakfast spread is excellent - they have everything delicious from Asian to Western. We can order fresh juices and various coffee/tea options. Great value.

The room we stayed at just managed to meet our expectations, considering we just came from Peninsula Shanghai but we were still contented as we werent planning to stay too much in the room since we only had two days to explore Hangzhou. When we return with the children, we will most definitely go for one of their suites, I am sure their Bugalri amenities will make "alot" of difference compared to the L'Occitaine we got in our Superior room hah!

We truly enjoyed ourselves at Westlake there are so much to see and do around the lake (would take at least 2-3 days) and as we would return to Westlake, Four Seasons will be our number One choice again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to Lobby if you have walking difficulties. The rooms can be quite far from the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear guest, we are very grateful for your comments towards our hotel’s design, service and food and beverage. The hotel’s décor blends centuries of Chinese tradition with chic designer style that offers optimum comfort and pleasure. Jin Sha features exquisite Shanghainese, Cantonese and classical local cuisine of which the Pyramid Pork and Beggar’s Chicken are one of our best selling dishes. We are delighted to exceed your expectations and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Four Seasons Hangzhou is a newish hotel near the West Lake, sitting amidst acres and acres of very pleasant private gardens and water features, including its own small lake and waterfall.

In terms of rooms and facilities, the Four Seasons Hangzhou's are among the best of the hotels at which I've stayed in mainland China: up there with the Peninsula Shanghai and the new Ritz-Carlton Pudong etc. The bed was particularly luxurious and comfortable.

A pity then that this pleasant experience was marred upon departure by: 1) a minor car accident during the airport transfer in a hotel car (driven by a hotel driver); and 2) even more significantly, extremely poor complaint resolution related to this accident. I have to think the whole incident was a clear breach of Four Seasons' "Golden Rule" of service, in which they appear to take such pride.

Basically, our Four Seasons driver rear-ended a stationary vehicle, so there was no doubt that our driver was at fault for not paying attention. Due to the sudden stop (luckily we were wearing our seat belts), my glasses were damaged from the impact between my head and the back of the driver's seat. Fortunately, we were otherwise physically unharmed but the hotel car was unable to continue our journey to the airport due to the collision.

On top of my blurry vision and the shock of the accident, we were naturally a bit stressed that we may miss the only available flight back home that day. The hotel driver though spent probably 15-20 minutes dealing with the other driver while we waited. At our prompting, he finally started to try to get us a taxi to continue our trip, but ultimately we were more successful ourselves in flagging down a taxi. If our flight had not been delayed that day, we would have missed our flight home due to the delay in finding replacement transportation.

Of course, we had immediately called the Four Seasons Hangzhou to report the incident (as did the driver) and to lodge our complaint. We had expected that the Four Seasons would have been more understanding of the shock and stress from the incident, and would have taken more responsibility for what happened, and in general would have taken the whole issue much more seriously than it did. To give one example, one early follow-up complaint email about this incident to expedite its resolution went unanswered and unacknowledged for five days. In another case, the member of staff assigned to deal with the complaint was actually rude to my poor assistant. In short, the complaint resolution process and experience were very unpleasant and frustrating (and perhaps more akin to what we would have expected from a local brand hotel). Four Seasons globally was no more helpful, merely referring me back to the local Hangzhou hotel management.

Eventually and only after much to'ing-and-fro'ing and many follow-up emails and calls, the Four Seasons Hangzhou - extremely reluctantly and only a couple of months later - merely reimbursed the cost of my broken glasses. There was absolutely no "wow" factor in the whole way the complaint was handled.

To be honest, in writing this review I was quite conflicted. If I were merely rating the experience at the hotel, I would have given it at least a very good and possibly an excellent. And for most guests, I'm sure the experience is indeed very good or excellent as it would have been for me but for what happened. The car accident and (unbelievably) more crucially, the way it was dealt with, have significantly dragged down my overall rating of this hotel to a Poor. Sadly, this really is a great hotel from a "hardware" point of view, but I'll almost certainly be staying elsewhere next time I'm in Hangzhou. A pity.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business