“First class concierge with rooms that inspire poetry”

Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake
Ranked #4 of 2,446 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed in the beautiful Lake Suite for two nights - the room had a high ceiling and was very spacious and comfortable. Stunning views of the picturesque West Lake with a Chinese garden. To me, the place feels surreal - romantic and poetic; you could imagine yourself in a Chinese period drama set in classic Jiang Nan.

Gorgeous bath tub too!

The concierge is first class - nothing is impossible.

Swimming pool is by the West Lake, swimming along the West Lake is an experience in itself.

Manicured gardens were very pretty, complete with pebbled paths, Chinese pavillions, weeping willows, lakes etc. We had a ton of fun cycling along Su Ti and around town on the hotel bikes.

I would say that I prefer this hotel to Amanfayun (which is completely different - atmospheric, misty, sacred (next to Ling Yin Si) but too dark/damp, in my opinion). Would definitely stay here again if I get the chance.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fifi C
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for your positive feedback towards our hotel rooms, garden, location and service. We are glad that you had good experiences with us. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

As you can see from the 5* reviews this hotel is not to be missed - how it is currently number 2 (Aug 2012) I don't know. I live in Beijing, this hotel is without a doubt the best I have stayed in.

Hotel - The west lake is a very short walk away. The cobbled path snakes its way through beautiful serene gardens. (Such a peaceful walk is not possible in hotels located on the other side of the lake - loud traffic jams and tourists)

Rooms - Large, well maintained and secure. Each room has its own unique view, looking over the lush traditional grounds. Amenities from L'Occitane - replenished daily.

Staff - Will provide a 5* service from the second you arrive. Every member of staff knew my name and offered help.

Food - Outstanding service, quality, value and surroundings. Afternoon tea, set lunch and dinner were all delicious. Plenty of options available.

Facilities - The gym, pools (indoor / outdoor), changing rooms and sauna were very well kept. Not a single whiff of sewage (those who have travelled in China will know this is quite common). Didn't use the spa as I was already beyond relaxed.

I will recommend this to everyone

Room Tip: Book any room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mzilla

Dear guest, thank you for your positive feedback towards our hotel rooms, restaurants and service. You can enjoy our Spa during your next visit. Our SPA interior design is inspired by the 18th century Qian Long Emperor, depicting his aqua therapy back in the olden days. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Amazing hotel worth every penny. Tucked in a quiet corner of the West Lake, the Four Seasons offers a peaceful escape from the noise and tourism of Hangzhou. We stayed for three nights, had a miserable one-night experience in another hotel in town, then returned for another three nights. This was part of our honeymoon and we had champagne and a cake sent to our room - perfect! The staff here are outstanding. Every single person greeted us as we walked around the hotel and often by our names.

The seamless pick-up from the airport made an excellent first impression. Staff called ahead to say we were on our way and check-in was flawless. On our second check-in we were welcomed back by the team on the front desk.

Rooms are enormous and spotlessly clean. Housekeeping occurs twice a day by yet more friendly and efficient staff and we loved arriving back to our room to find fresh flowers and fruit.

All food is of excellent quality and very good value for money. I would highly recommend having room service breakfast. Afternoon tea and the WLB lunch are also fab.

The hotel grounds are perfectly maintained with hidden pathways, bridges, pagodas and lawns to walk around. The West Lake is a pleasant five minute walk away and is one of the best parts in my opinion. Beautiful in August as the lilies begin to bloom.

I could go on all day about this hotel but to conclude I will say that this is by far the best in Hangzhou and I have no idea why it is not currently ranked as such.

If you are looking for a peaceful break in Hangzhou and excellent service this is the only place to come. Thank you to everyone who made our stay here so memorable.

Room Tip: A room on the second floor offers more privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank btownroo
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear guest, we are very glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon at our hotel. We will also be sure to share your comments with our Rooms Colleagues, as there is no better motivator than the praise of a job well done. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We couldn't have arrived to Hangzhou at a worse time, just as typhoon Haikui was approaching.

But if we had to endure a typhoon, we couldn't have picked a better place to be shacked up - the splendid Four Seasons hotel situated right by the West Lake.

Magical experience, as you would expect at the Four Seasons. Very large and luxurious rooms, beautiful grounds, a pool with a moat (first time I've seen that), a great Chinese restaurant Jin Sha and the highlight is definitely the spa. Wow, it's outstanding and spectacularly designed!

I have to be honest that I expected the hotel to be completely different than what I expected. Given that it's situated right adjacent to the romantic West Lake, I was expecting the hotel to have magnificent views. Alas, the design is very inward focused. You would never know you're next to a large lake. I talked to the staff about this and they said it's primarily due to height restrictions as per the zoning laws around the lake, and also to ensure privacy for the guests.

So no view ... But the property grew on me ... And I came to love it.

The only gripe I had is that several of the staff speak really poor English. They make it up though with great smiles.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bojantercon

Dear guest, thank you for sharing your comments and feedbak with us. We are glad that you enjoyed stay at Four Seasons Hotel Hangzhou at West Lake. We have notified our management team regarding the English issue. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Simply impressive and beautiful. Its architecture captures the soul of Hangzhou's beauty and blends so well with West Lake area. If there is only one hotel in one city that I have to recommend, it will be Four Season in Hangzhou. Ask for a room on first level floor, you will get a backyard to yourself!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Alicia Z

Dear guest, we are very pleased to know that you like our hotel. Hotel's architecture is melding traditional pavilion-style and pagoda rooftops with high-style accommodation. You can always enjoy the fine wether with forest glades and ponds in hotel's beautiful garden. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Location,rooms and facilities are all classic four seasons standards.
Spoken English is an issue and causes some frustration but stil a great hotel!
Excellent food and the Chinese restaurant deserves its great reputation too so try it!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PenguinTuk
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear guest, we are very pleased to know that you like our Jin Sha restaurant and had good experience with us. We have notified our management team regarding the English issue. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

One of the best Four Seasons property that I've stayed. Perfect city resort/hotel in a great location.

My wife, daughter and I, stayed in a Deluxe room, lowest price room(room #220) and found it perfect for our needs. Very spacious with a nice view of the garden. Even with the extra bed the room still had plenty of space left.

The other reviews have described the hotel well so I'll just add what I believe the other reviews didn't cover.

Wifi - there's the free wifi and the paid wifi available in our room and all over the hotel property. The free wifi was sufficient for emails and web browsing and I even Skype with it.

Pool - two pools here. An outdoor infinity pool and the indoor heated pool. I really like the indoor pool and in the cold months it must be perfect with very nice sitting areas around it.

Location - only a short 10 minutes relaxing walk to/from the Westlake Impression show.

Room service - very good and quick.

ATM - there's an ATM machine in the hotel.

Service was very good and very friendly.

If you choose this hotel you'll love it!

Room Tip: If you choose the Deluxe Room ask for one with a garden view. Our room 220 was perfect!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Pooky_TH

Dear guests, thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback and comments. We are glad that you and your family had good experiences with us. We sincerely look forward to your next stay.