“To top it off, an outstanding and spectacularly designed spa!”

Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake
Ranked #2 of 2,403 Hotels in Hangzhou
Singapore, Singapore
“To top it off, an outstanding and spectacularly designed spa!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We couldn't have arrived to Hangzhou at a worse time, just as typhoon Haikui was approaching.

But if we had to endure a typhoon, we couldn't have picked a better place to be shacked up - the splendid Four Seasons hotel situated right by the West Lake.

Magical experience, as you would expect at the Four Seasons. Very large and luxurious rooms, beautiful grounds, a pool with a moat (first time I've seen that), a great Chinese restaurant Jin Sha and the highlight is definitely the spa. Wow, it's outstanding and spectacularly designed!

I have to be honest that I expected the hotel to be completely different than what I expected. Given that it's situated right adjacent to the romantic West Lake, I was expecting the hotel to have magnificent views. Alas, the design is very inward focused. You would never know you're next to a large lake. I talked to the staff about this and they said it's primarily due to height restrictions as per the zoning laws around the lake, and also to ensure privacy for the guests.

So no view ... But the property grew on me ... And I came to love it.

The only gripe I had is that several of the staff speak really poor English. They make it up though with great smiles.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bojantercon
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for sharing your comments and feedbak with us. We are glad that you enjoyed stay at Four Seasons Hotel Hangzhou at West Lake. We have notified our management team regarding the English issue. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Simply impressive and beautiful. Its architecture captures the soul of Hangzhou's beauty and blends so well with West Lake area. If there is only one hotel in one city that I have to recommend, it will be Four Season in Hangzhou. Ask for a room on first level floor, you will get a backyard to yourself!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Alicia Z
Dear guest, we are very pleased to know that you like our hotel. Hotel's architecture is melding traditional pavilion-style and pagoda rooftops with high-style accommodation. You can always enjoy the fine wether with forest glades and ponds in hotel's beautiful garden. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Location,rooms and facilities are all classic four seasons standards.
Spoken English is an issue and causes some frustration but stil a great hotel!
Excellent food and the Chinese restaurant deserves its great reputation too so try it!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PenguinTuk
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear guest, we are very pleased to know that you like our Jin Sha restaurant and had good experience with us. We have notified our management team regarding the English issue. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay.
Bangkok
Reviewed August 7, 2012

One of the best Four Seasons property that I've stayed. Perfect city resort/hotel in a great location.

My wife, daughter and I, stayed in a Deluxe room, lowest price room(room #220) and found it perfect for our needs. Very spacious with a nice view of the garden. Even with the extra bed the room still had plenty of space left.

The other reviews have described the hotel well so I'll just add what I believe the other reviews didn't cover.

Wifi - there's the free wifi and the paid wifi available in our room and all over the hotel property. The free wifi was sufficient for emails and web browsing and I even Skype with it.

Pool - two pools here. An outdoor infinity pool and the indoor heated pool. I really like the indoor pool and in the cold months it must be perfect with very nice sitting areas around it.

Location - only a short 10 minutes relaxing walk to/from the Westlake Impression show.

Room service - very good and quick.

ATM - there's an ATM machine in the hotel.

Service was very good and very friendly.

If you choose this hotel you'll love it!

Room Tip: If you choose the Deluxe Room ask for one with a garden view. Our room 220 was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Pooky_TH
Dear guests, thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback and comments. We are glad that you and your family had good experiences with us. We sincerely look forward to your next stay.
HK
Reviewed July 31, 2012

An unquestionably outstanding hotel, designed to be quietly hidden from the loads of tourists who get off their large buses nearby to be flocked on-foot to listed spots on the north-western shore of the West Lake (where people go to see extensive patches of lotus plants rising from the lake).

Located one public-bus stop or 10 minutes' walk down the road from the Four Seasons Hangzhou are the Yu Fei Temple, the half-century-old Hangzhou Fandian building (which forms the East Wing of the Shangri-la Hotel Hangzhou), and a cluster of tourist curios shops. Across the road from the temple is the site for the Impression West Lake show in the evening.

Providing a smoke-free environment in what feels like a non-commercial setting, the Four Seasons Hangzhou can well be experienced and appreciated in its own right, especially if there is no urge to cover the must-see tourist spots outside.

The hotel staff was always ready to help, and the restaurant staff consistently provided genuinely attentive service. Dinner on Sat 28 July: A staff member at the Jin Sha restaurant observed that my friend was using up many pocket-size paper handkerchieves while eating up an entire crab dish, and offered her a pot of ginger tea to balance the crab-meat-generated "cold energy" in her stomach. Many thumbs-up to him.

The Jin Sha restaurant is now in our list of the best chinese restaurants worldwide. The lunch and dinner dishes we had there compared favourably with those we recently had at the Yi Long Court of the Peninsula Hotel Shanghai. The West Lake Bistro has a tranquil garden feel and offers simple, earthy and tasty dishes cooked in western and/or asian styles.

Our ground-floor (level 1) room was meticulous. A minor curiousity was the plastic comb with teeth sharp enough to be used as a meat tenderiser, an odd item among the generally high-quality bathroom amenities. Might try an upstair (level 2) room next time to find out whether there is a good view of the West Lake.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Terlo
Alleen W, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hangzhou at West Lake, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for your positive feedback towards our hotel restaurants, rooms, location and service. We are glad that you had good experiences with us. We sincerely anticipate your next return to our hotel.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 31, 2012

By way of background, I'm a frequent business traveller who has stayed in most 5-star hotels in major cities in China. I checked in four seasons hangzhou for a summer get-away. I'd say the experience, both hardware and software are top notch.

I booked 4 rooms under the 3rd night free package. 2 rooms are deluxe, 2 are premier. I requested to have all 4 rooms close to each other and early check-in at 1pm. Upon arrival, 3 out of the 4 rooms were ready, with the 4th room available 1 hr later. And all 4 rooms are next to each other! There were welcome gifts for my two boys, one aged 4 and the other 6 months and there is an NUK milk bottle sterilizer there. My advice, call the hotel up after making the booking, tell them what you need, so they can make better preparation.

The difference btw premier and deluxe rooms is the former has a balcony. There's a feeling of tranquility in all room type as the greenery in the hotel serves as natural fence. The hotel is a low rise Chinese style building spread out into east and west wings. It takes 10 - 15 min walk from east to west wing. The security standard is high as there are doors at both wings repetitively and u can only pass through with your room keys.

The staff are the most friendly and responsible ones I've ever met in China. One of the rooms had ants problem. Our fault of putting some sweet corns on the mini bar... It was at night when i saw ants on the mini bar. I called up the front desk, the manager on duty came within 5 min, didn't say a word, didn't try to find excuses ( very rare in China), apologized and offered to change room (upgrade from deluxe to premier, and still next to my other 3 rooms). In less than 20 min, we moved to the other room. Given the resort nature and greenery, there are Mosquitos and other bugs in the garden. The hotel does regular pest control to minimize the impact on guests. My word of advice, don't leave sweet stuff on the table...

There are two restaurants, western (WLB) and Chinese (Jinsha). WLB serves half buffet style breakfast. U can order hot stuff, eggs, noodles etc and there are buns, bread and a lot more at the buffet table. We had breakfast there all three days during our stay. WLB serves both western and Chinese lunch. Staff are attentive and friendly. Jinsha is a fine dining restaurant mainly with hangzhou, shanghainese and cantonese cuisine. There are round tables for 4 but no larger round tables in the dining hall. Didn't try the private rooms ( min charge 3800 rmb), maybe there are larger round tables there. 8 of us sat at a long table, ended up passing around dishes (which is quite fun). We had dinner two nights at Jinsha. There are plenty of dishes on the menu. Think ppl can dine there 4 nights without duplicating dishes. The foods are fresh, tasty, not oily at all. The presentation is also good. Again, staff are friendly and attentive.

Had 2.5 hr spa session. Huge spa room with a bath tub big enough for 4, 2 futons for foot massage and 2 massage beds, steam room with 2 showers. The head rest for massage bed is not as soft as those in hong kong four seasons. But that's the only thing I could pick on.

There are both outdoor and indoor pools. The indoor pool is too cold even under 38 degree outdoor temperature. It's air-conditioned....

There are playrooms for bith young-adults and kids. Both my boys enjoyed the kids playroom which has playmat, Lego, big TV with DVD. There's a bar at the basement which projects the Olympic games. As there aren't many guests in the hotel (or most ppl have fun somewhere else at night), my family were the only ones there watching the game, feels like a family studio :)

Staff at front desk and concierge are very helpful. They helped book the westlake show tickets, recommend restaurants etc.

It's a pity we didn't enjoy much the outdoor facilities and the beautiful garden as it's too hot. Definately look forward to staying there again when we go to hangzhou next.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Scenic_27
Dear guest, we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We have notified our Spa Director regarding the bed of treatment room and indoor pool temperature. Your constructive feedback will certainly help us attain a better level of service quality. We sincerely look forward to your next stay with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at this property between 7/23 and 7/26 (Room 216). I really can't fault with this hotel because everything was perfect during our stay. The hotel is ideally located close to quite a few tourist attractions, but far enough from all the hustle and bustle of downtown Hangzhou. Service is impeccable. Food quality is top-notch. The Chinese restaurant on the site, Jin Sha, has probably the best Chinese food that I've ever had! The head waiter and waitress are very professional. They're quick, responsive and always recommend the right dishes to go with our order. We ate at Jin Sha three times. The second time that I stepped into the restaurant, I was amazed that the staff addressed me by my last name. Yes, it's bloody expensive by the Chinese standard, but it's worth every penny.

Also, the facilities are nice, particularly the swimming pools. I'm an avid swimmer. The mere thought of not being able to swim there made me feel a bit sad the morning that I checked out.

If you can afford it, don't hesitate to stay at this hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, thank you for sharing your feedback and comments. We are delighted that you had such good experiences with us. Our Jin Sha staff was very appreicated to provide the wonderful dining experience for you during your stay. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.