“Real Customer Service not seen before in China!!”

Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou
Ranked #1 of 2,491 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I really do not know where to start with this hotel. It was flawless from the minute I walked in. Having travelled in China for a number of years, I know that it is sometimes hard to get good customer service when your struggling with the local language, but the staff at this hotel go out of there way to speak english with you and are looking for opportunity to assist you. Even though they have a number of european born staff that seem to be mentoring and coaching the locals, it is good to see that they all seem to really enjoy their jobs there. I even enjoyed interacting with all of the housekeeping staff which I seldom do. Rooms are clean, breakfasts are well provisioned, with great fresh juices. Rooms are a nice size and the location is brilliant. Hangzhou is a magical place and I actually recommend you visit the place in the off season because you see more, and the ambiance is better with a little rain or fog around.

My only issue, which is not the hotel's concern is the rental bikes. They are definitely designed for locals in mind and quite uncomfortable to ride for longer periods of time. The hotel will use one of their cards to unlock the bike for a couple hours free use for their customers. I will do some more research next time and find other suppliers to get a decent bike because the city is definitely bike friendly and most attractions can be accessed in a short ride.

Room Tip: Try get a room facing Westlake and a high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have been four days in Wyndham for holidays last month and I would like to say it was amazing!The hotel was huge and I got a spacious room with nice view. Moreover the location was perfect, near to the west lake and at only one hour by train to Shanghai. Most of the staff are very nice and speak English fluently, which make me feel really comfortable, especially Antony from the front office is so helpful and friendly. The Cafe Royal restaurant was tasty, specially for breakfast and the Thai restaurant was amazing. From my personal opinion, I highly recommend to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had a great time at the hotel.
Service is super super super.
Cleaniness, excellent and very clean.

And best of all the friedly staff whom i met there.
Marco was so friendly and helpful as well as Eva HE. i felt my self honestly at home.

Thank you very much for making my stay so wonderful.

Room Tip: If you are wondering where to book at Hangzhou, the real best place is Wyndham Grand. spaciaous room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank amr D
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights and the service was first class. The Buffett was very tasty with loads of choice and the service was second to none. What a fantastic location too with a 5 minute walk to the fountain show and the lakeside bars.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Jessie278
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We booked this hotel after viewing it online. It's appearance is different, but I really liked that difference nice we got there. Not top of the top in terms of hotels but really quite nice. My room had a great view across towards West Lake and the temple on the hill in the sunset. Close to e lake for a boat trip, tea house and walking around the lake.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here at the end of September with my family and we all enjoyed our weekend away from the regular routine. I stayed at this hotel already several times for business and since it has been always a great experience, I decided to bring my family for a weekend get away.
The location is literally perfect as there’re many restaurants, shops and the famous lake within a few minutes walking distance. The rooms are spacious – we asked for an additional bed for our son and it was charged at a reasonable price and the room was still spacious enough for all 3 of us. Breakfast is lush, a huge choice of breads, pastries and even a juicer machine where you can ask the chef to prepare your preferred fresh juice.
My son also had great fun in the pool and they even had in the fitness centre a ping pong and billiard table which could be used free of charge.
A huge help and something very unique I have never seen in a hotel in China, is the big amount of Western staff working there. The manager always remembers my name and was very kind to my son. The whole team was friendly and helped with language barriers, giving advice where to go, making dinner reservations etc.
In my opinion, this hotel is the best choice in Hangzhou to stay at as the personal touch and the service quality is the extra plus you hardly can find anywhere!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We like this hotel, which is more like a 5-star hotel, because the room is big and well designed. The bathroom is very spacious and comfortable, too. Besides, all of the facilities show good quality and taste. The overall service is also very good. Patricia from the US is especially nice, making sure we'll have American breakfast at the Cafe. But the local staff obviously don't know where is the big bookstore (Xinghua) around. Most of the time we enjoyed our stay here. Unfortunately, there are 3 flaws.

The first is the mattress, which is not so hard as that in other Chinese hotels, but not so comfortable, either, as that in American hotels. We had expected it to be as soft as what we usually have in US hotels but felt disappointed.

The 2nd is the service and food quality at the 2nd-floor Cafe. We ordered American breakfast and a pot of Longjing tea. The former costs about 70 RMB, while the latter costs about 90. Not only is the price for local tea too high and out of proportion, but the quality of the famous tea is very poor---no taste at all. Besides, the quantity of tea leaves in the pot is much less than what is usually offered at regular tea houses. It seems that the woman manager can choose to offer how much or little she feels like. Above all, the price is calculated wrongly by the female manager, who apologized later.

The 3rd is the Spa service. When we called and booked massage service for two, the manager said we would enjoy the discount offered by hotel coupon, 30 RMB. But then a man, the massage master, I guess, called and said the price should go up to include the discount. Can you imagine how angry we were? It's not the slight difference in price that we cared, but the dishonest attitude of the beauty shop in the hotel basement. So, of course, we rejected their service right away.

Room Tip: We were given a smaller room, I guess. But when I mentioned that to the reception desk, the man sim...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple