“Met expectations on the whole”

InterContinental Hangzhou
Ranked #14 of 2,428 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hangzhou intercontinental in mid December 2013.

After we were dropped off the hotel on 13 dec (night), the hotel staff outside didn't open the door for us and the automatic door doesn't seem to work, I was thinking "welcome to china and as other hotels in china, they have just lost 2 stars because of their lack of service".

Thankfully, my perception of intercontinental was rescued by Answer Qiu's excellent service. He, working at the concierge, was very helpful, giving us suggestions as to routes, sights to visit and restaurants. He also offered to take my luggage to the car on our departure day. He also learnt quickly that he should try to serve one customer at a time. The concierge seemed totally understaffed at mid day which isn't his fault. I hope the other customers of intercontinental would learn equally quickly that they should not try to jump queues and be patient when waiting to rescue the reputation of chinese visitors in the international arena.

Overall, I had enjoyed my stay at hangzhou intercontinental and would stay there again.

Ps the breakfast buffet has a nice selection and the room is comfortable.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
minnie c, Marketing &Communications coordinator at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear guest:
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We will forward your concern to the hotel related department for further improvement and hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

One of my first concerns when traveling abroad is my Gluten-free diet; mostly in countries that Celiac is not common. The InterContinental Hangzhou management took care of my diet from the moment I sent an email inquiring to the time I left to another hotel in another city. They took the time to talk about the limitations and alternatives. They prepared my special requests and they even called the next hotel to explain my diet. If you have special diet needs I strongly recommend the InterContinental Hangzhou. Also, the place is absolutely beautiful, the staff is very friendly and the architecture is unique.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Diaa32
minnie c, Marketing&Communications coordinator at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear guest:
Thank you for your kind comments and endorsement of our service.We are pleased that your stay has exceeded your expectations. I look forward to your coming next time.Thank you for visiting InterContinental Hangzhou! Sincere regards!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was in Shanghai for business two weeks ago, and since it was my Birthday - I've decided to take two rooms in Hangzhou Intercontinental, to relax a little. Hangzhou is beautiful, food is great but the highlight was this hotel. The staff was amazing, from doorman thru concierge to front desk team and the staff in the swimming pool on the 18 floor. A huge delicious cake waited for me in the room, everyone in the front desk gritted me with a happy birthday.
Breakfast was awesome, l'embarras du choix. Something for every taste.
It is very interesting to visit the urban museum located next to the hotel to understand what can be achieved in 6 to 8 years. Will be back next year, I hope.

Room Tip: River view is nice - even on low floors, better view to the park.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
minnie c, Marketing &Communications coordinator at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I never thought I would look forward to leaving family to work in China but having stayed in the Intercontinental in October I can honestly say that I really don't mind going again this week. Apart from its stunning architecture and tasteful decor, it's a really welcoming hotel which was a surprise given the scale of everything. The staff are very friendly and super efficient. The buffet is eclectic and on our last day when the hotel was booked to capacity for a wedding, it still operated as well as it did when we were the only diners. We also tried the Fine Dining restaurant which was super. The food was excellent and very Western which was comforting. Try out the Wochinger Brau downstairs for a real beer in an authentic Bavarian setting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Jacky_Zhuang, Manager at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Joy,

Many thanks for taking the time out to share your fantastic experience at the InterContinental Hangzhou! Absolutely I'm so delighted to learn of your enjoyable experience and cannot wait to share with my team.

The hotel certainly caters to the needs of every traveller, our food and beverage facilities namely Fresh, Senses, Sun & Moon, Wochinger and Connection are talk of the town, apart from the resident guests we have also a lot of local guests frequenting the hotel for a memorable culinary experience.

Once again, thank you very much for making us "home away from home"! Apart from the fantastic modern product that we have, it indeed is the warm and friendly customer service which differentiates the InterContinental Hangzhou from the rest. We look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable experience.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Both fantastic hotels but some small differences:

Positive Intercontinental:
- Outside building structure amazing
- in room bose sound system
- excecutive lounge fresh german beer from their restaurant

Positive JW:
- Excecutive view on the westlake with good view amazing
- location at least for westlake visitors better as walking distance approx 20min
- designer soaps in all rooms

I would slightly on a very high level recommend the JW Marriott

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bumsii
Jacky_Zhuang, Manager at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to post your review, it is very delightful to learn that you like the building, the facility, our service and the authentic home brew German beer.

Feel free to draw us a line should you need any assistance and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

As a regular visitor to Hangzhou I usually stay at the sister hotel of this the Crowne Plaza Grand Canal - I couldn't get in there so booked here and while a little further out this is good because it makes it quiet!
Walking in to the inner globe and it is just breathtaking!
Great service Great attention to Detail great food - just great!
I will go back but the CP is very close to the factory I visit and as I go several times a year I usually only stay one or two nights so tend to migrate back to the Crowne Plaza

• Stayed: October 2012
Jacky_Zhuang, Manager at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear guest,

It is indeed so delightful to learn that your recent experience at the InterContinental Hangzhou is of great pleasure, I can hardly wait to share your comments to my team that gives all my team members a sense of achievement.

Taking the opportunity, I will also thank you for the continuous patronage to the sister hotel of the InterContinental, be assured that we will all do our utmost to delight you from time to time.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Years ago, stayed at Holiday Inn at downtown, not impressive an old hotel in Holiday Inn series....

Early this year, a quick stop at this hotel seems ok other than an lack of spirit Sales guy at the booking. However, 5-6 months later, without "bothering" the Sales, direct booking through the reservation, got an impressive welcome at the desk as a Royal Ambassdor member, great upgrade to the wonderful suite. Further, the Lounge was very very impressive. The quality of food and drinks are much, much better than my near term stayed InterContinental Shanghai Expo!!! What a great hotep and great services! Will definitely come back and make this hotel as my 1st choice at Hangzhou - also suggesting all friends to stay here!

Room Tip: River View room is the best!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Jacky_Zhuang, Manager at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Frank,
Thank you so much for sharing the reason why we have become your preferred hotel in Hangzhou. It is so refreshing to learn that we were able to live up to your expectations from your arrival to the club lounge and the happy hours experience. Your continued patronage as a Royal Ambassador member which is of great value to us and to know that we have consistently delivered efficient service and excellent food to you, gives all my team members a sense of achievement and we cannot wait to welcome you back for yet another memorable experience here. Once again, thank you very much!
Regards,