“Impressive!”

InterContinental Hangzhou
Ranked #14 of 2,428 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The hotel looks like a shimmering ball of glass and metal, and is visually amazing, especially when lit up at night. The atrium is equally spectacular in both size, and detail.

The rooms are fully appointed with every kind of creature comfort--my personal favourite is the TV screen embedded into the bathroom wall that enables you to watch your favourite programme while soaking it in in the huge tub.

Breakfast was lavish, and my checkout was done with in 60 seconds flat.

Overall, a statement of intent as much as it is a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed September 11, 2011

After having stayed in several hotels in Hanghzou, I wanted to try this strange new building. It is great on the inside, really nice and amazing! Rooms are nice. They gave a free upgrade, probably as it was my first time to visit the hotel but anyway it was a great room.
Walk-in closet, large bathroom with free-standing bathtub and great bed.

I had dinner at the buffet restaurant and that was very disappointing (RMB 270 ex any drink or service charge). There were 3 guests and about 20 staff. Their English was poor and while still chewing they already removed my plate (several times). Service just wasn’t what it should be. Starters and desert were great. Main course was not good! BBQ was not fresh and not made on order. Like you want to piece of finished BBQ meet that is waiting for you already for 45 minutes.... The 2 staff who asked to make something on order, couldn’t speak any English at all.
Breakfast was ok, what you can expect from such a hotel.

Gym was nice, good equipment and the pool has a good size.
Service at the check in was very good and they could help me with my questions were to go to.

I would go come her again, only if I can get a good rate and for dinner I go out!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mathijn
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Earlier this year a business colleague and I had business in a number of major cities on the east coast of China starting in Beijing and Hangzhou was our second stop for four days.The flight from Beijing was short as Hangzhou is a major city about 150 miles south of Shanghai and two and a half hours flight from the capital.We arrived on a filthy wet and windy day,the hotel car met us and drove with pounding rain on what seemed an endless industrial estate until the outskirts of the city became visable.

Shining on the horizon was a Golden sphere which looked like a giant golf ball dwarfing everything nearby,the driver said this was our hotel.We were met on arrival by management and asked to check in on the club floor as we are both members of the Ambassador program.In the club lounge we were given hot teas before being told we would not be getting the customary upgrades as the hotel was currently occupied by the military officers conference and all the good rooms have been assigned.

After some negotiation the Assistant manager on the club floor found a junior suite for my partner and after me saying no to my room as unacceptable, a very fine suite was eventually found based on my Royal Ambassador status.However the wait was long and it was getting close to late evening.We headed for the main restaurant on the lower lobby all set beneath this amazing open atrium,the rain poured outside and visually as most of the sphere is glass ,it appears you are looking from the inside of a waterfall.We were expecting a happy stay and made our way to the bar area to wait for the evening buffet to open.The lady hostess could not understand English and it took a great deal of effort to order a bottle of champagne and eventually this was delivered by another server with a happier smile.

Shortly after five we followed an endless group of young officers in the familiar green uniforms and found no tables available and a mess hall barracks flurry to eat everything in sight.................literally.
As quick as new food arrived it was as quickly dispersed with a degree of what are you Westerners doing here we are the Army and take priority here.Eventually some member of the management found us a table and as quickly,the officers all left,leaving behind a shamble of dishes and an almost naked buffet. Fat chefs stood behind the hot dishes which when the lids were removed they were basically empty Little attempt was made to renew the food and we requested a manger.We eventually got a plate of oysters,two poor looking steaks,badly cooked and what was left of the fruit.

Breakfast was a bit better as we timed our arrival in order to meet the same manager as the night before and he came over with his boss from Food and Beverages,they listened but with deaf ears,That day we had wanted an experienced guide and car for a private city tour.One arrived in a minivan and a young lady who had a parrot voice and a well chorographed itenary but was unable to converse or answer questions.We rushed to a tourist site, walked with umberellas in the rain, she got commissions every time we bought anything and we could not find a good restaurant in the entire city. We later found out too late she had just started the job and did not know the city at all.

My colleague and I had a lousy day,we went back to the hotel hoping for a better dinner but not on this visit,so in desperation and totally depressed we advised the management we would change our tickets and were leaving two days early.We spent a little time in the club lounge and the one redeeming factor was a charming lady in senior management who had sought us out,firstly to apologise and also to try and be helpful..........................she was the best part of the hotel and if she had been able to alter all the things that had gone wrong we may have stayed. But sadly nothing improved and we left early the next morning.

Apart from the stunning architecture,the facilities and service within is poor,the senior management are having a very hard time training locals and their junior staff. I think the entire hotel can cater for the Chinese market but is certainly not ready for Western guests,the level of English spoken by the majority of staff is poor to say the least and therefore this is one hotel I do not intend going back to....................................

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank talentpicker
IHGCare, ihg care at InterContinental Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I was happy to hear you were pleased with the hotel itself. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments and suggestions as the InterContinental Hangzhou is geared towards providing the highest level of hospitality to our guests.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Beautiful hotel, nicer than Las Vegas, huge rooms, highly equipped. Hope to come back.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank shumsky
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Decent Five Star Hotel
It was very quiet when we stayed, huge hotel, beautiful grounds, interesting architectural facade, rooms are standard modern 5 star level and. The amenities in the room are great, everything you would expect in a 5 star hotel and more, including a walk in closet, big bathroom with separate tub and shower; lots of toiletries, and a flat TV to watch while you take a bath. The electronics in the room are amazing. This hotel offers an excellent Spa and Gym area, swimming pool is on 19th floor and has great river view.

Restaurant food in hotel was extremely good to my surprise. Apart from breakfast, we usually avoid eating in hotels, but this hotel is an exception - with all the restaurants serving great food at very reasonable prices it was difficult to decide where to eat our meals each day! The Fresh buffet style restaurant was always good for breakfast, lunch and dinner as it offered such a wide choice of dishes suiting the tastes of the whole family. Chinese restaurant is serving fresh seafood amongst other tremendous dishes. Fine dining is must-try restaurant, offering specialties from Spain to Turkey - shockingly great flavors presentations and service attendance.

The only thing hotel lacks is the warmth of the service feel (seemed mechanical to me) and staff with very poor English speaking capabilities - another major problem is availability of taxis..

Overall we had enjoyable, luxurious and memorable stay at the InterContinental and would recommend it to anyone for having a classy stay outside city centre.

Room service was also very good with a wide range of dishes available and speedy service, ideal for a light lunch in the room.

Best hotel pastry-shop and dinner buffet in Shanghai”
Reviewed January 22, 2011
I highly recommend you stop there, as least for a drink in the lobby lounge. The second floor ultra long buffet with his range of station all manned by specialized worldwide chefs is incredible. It's not only a display of the cuisine of the world, it's also one of the most fashionable display, always alive and keep creating. The trendy Sichuan restaurant is very innovative and you can feel a high level of experience and professionalism.
Look at their pastry-shop.....
I used to go often with colleagues in Shanghai for market survey and Shangri-la Pudong is the one who keep make us surprise at every stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotelier21
Reviewed June 23, 2011

we did enjoy our staying.

Intercontinental Hangzhou is a charming, beautifully presented hotel featuring unique golden ball architecture and is set in picturesque grounds with views towards Qiantang River.
Our room was on the 16th floor and had access to the InterContinental Club. We had a wonderful view of the river. The internet was free, easy to use and extremely fast.

The Intercontinental Club offered complimentary happy hours. There was complimentary alcoholic beverages and heavy canapés in each evening.Coffee and choices of soft drinks was available from early morning until midnight.

The food in restaurants was top quality; Breakfast in the main restaurant was fantastic with selection of both continental and Chinese specialties. Wide selection of Viennoiseries was freshly baked and nicely presented. Mediterranean influenced fine dining restaurant Senses is a great treat for foodies, generally better than some extremely expensive places I have been to, while the prices are still reasonable. (the dukkah crusted lamb loin was particularly delicious).

In short, go there. This hotel is a top choice if you like to relax and enjoy great food. We stayed for 2 nights and have recommended to all our friends

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pouf73
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I stayed a few days while passing buy and had several meals at the hotel when the weather wasn't favorable and to my surprise the food was a solid win. The preparation, textures and colors worked out real well. The wine selection was a little weak for pairing in my opinion, Not necessary a bad thing but a flat note.

China is growing very fast and changes can be seen everywhere including the gastronomy. The hotel did a great job in providing an international touch without while keeping the local food available for breakfast.

The hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful and I would definitely be back if ever in the area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo