Banyan Tree Hangzhou
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$141
Trip.com
$245
$224
Agoda.com
All reviewsjet poolbedroom villaspa treatmentsthe general managerprevious guestsstayed here for three nightsgarden viewrestaurant staffrooms are hugelocal foodvery nice hotelwetlandsjacuzzichinaangsanabalconiesprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I've been traveling around the world around 25 years, this is the best Hotel with excellent service I'd ever experienced.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FANNYKUO
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We have stayed at this resort for 4 days and it was such a very traditional chinese style villa. There was a serious mosquitos problem for staying near wetland park and all taxi drivers were not known about this hotel. We knew how to guide the taxi driver back to hotel which cause us less trouble. Spa is usual Banyan Tree standard. Our villa has some drainage problem in shower which we urge them to fix it everyday and can be fixed finally.

There was a young male staff worn a black eyeglasses working in conciege was smart and very helpful. I would not suggest to dine in the hotel because there are a lot of good restaurant outside which cost less and better quality. The buffet breakfast seems a lot of choice but the taste a bit below average.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2011

<sigh>...so I just can't decide how I feel about Banyan Tree Hangzhou. On the one hand, the staff were incredibly kind and attentive. Everywhere we went, it was nothing but great service and polite gestures all the way. The resort grounds were also quite beautiful and felt like you were a world away. The villas were also wonderfully appointed and relaxing. I've certainly slept on more comfortable beds, but overall, the room was quite comfortable.

Nonetheless, there was still something left to be desired. While the Chinese restaurant (Bai Yun) was lovely and the food was delicious, the Western restaurant definitely needed some work. The sandwich and cheese platter we ordered were a little too "Chinese-y". And the high chair they brought over for our infant was beyond filthy. The room service we ordered for both an after-hours snack and breakfast the next morning were problematic. In the evening, we only ordered popcorn and a cheesecake, and it took forever (about an hour) to be delivered. The following morning, our breakfast arrived cold already and the order was wrong (eggs instead of pancakes).

Most notably (and maybe not the fault of the resort, exactly) is how mosquito-infested the place is. I'm sure all the standing water and ponds didn't help. Additionally, we went on a weekend where it rained non-stop. Our villa was just a breeding ground and we barely got any sleep - we were just bombarded. Needless to say that we were eaten alive by those blood-suckers.

Lastly, even with a 15% off Early Bird rate, this place is still expensive!! All in all, I don't think I would recommend this place, and I'm pretty sure I will not return again. It was a nice enough experience, but not worth a second visit (and that just bums me out - I really wanted to like this place).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Hangzhou, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Dear KOinCT

Thank you for taking time in sharing your feedback and experience.

Your feedbacks are very much appreciated as they help us improve both our service and our product.

Please accept my profuse apologies for the disappointment you experienced in regards to your stay here at Banyan Tree Hangzhou.

I have noted on your comments regarding the food you had in Water Light Court. I have personally briefed our Executive Chef of your comments and ensured that food quality and taste will be brought up to Banyan Tree standard.

As Banyan Tree Hangzhou is right beside Xi Xi Wetland Park, there will be more insects than downtown. We will take further imperative measure to ensure a comfortable and close to nature stay here.

By evaluating our hospitality, telling us what we do right and what we must improve; it help us to improve and meeting guests expectations.

If I can be of further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Most sincerely,

Desmond Tan
Area General Manager
Banyan Tree Hangzhou

Reviewed May 11, 2011

We visited Hangzhou to celebrate my father’s birthday, and the staff made it the perfect experience! They provided the traditional birthday items, such as long-life noodles and birthday cake and were always ready with a smile and eager to please. It was a very high and friendly level of service, and when he's available, the hotel manager Mr. Desmond Tan is often out greeting guests.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom jet pool villa. We didn't use the jet pool since it was still quite chilly but I noticed that they did clean it so that it was available for use. The villa was very nice with beautiful surroundings. The 2 bedroom is not a real two bedroom though. Rather it is more of a 1 bedroom with an add-on. To get to the second bedroom, normally you must walk through the 1st bedroom. The 1st bedroom is also connected to the living room so privacy for the 1st bedroom is actually quite an issue. I would not suggest it for 2 couples but for a close family, it's fine. We were lucky to have a terrace facing out towards the park and that was beautiful! We had tea there after breakfast every day enjoying the light breeze and facing nature. A rare feeling in China! The beds were, as always, very comfortable. We used their pool as well, and while small, was set at a comfortable temperature for swimming and one could do small laps. I think it was about 10m long?

The breakfast buffet was adequate but nothing to write home about. We enjoyed the fresh yoghurt!

Would love to come back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank wu1102
Reviewed May 5, 2011

As said by many of the previous reviewers the rooms are by far the largest we have ever stayed in with separate sleeping, sitting and dinning areas, in addition to seats and a chessboarded table on the balcony.

The surroundings are a world of tranquility especially when there was a quiet drizzle at night, kind of typical country scene in old rural eastern China.

The food there is pricy and average though given choices in the city if one bothers to leave he hotel and get stuck in traffic.

Spa is good but not quite the level we saw in Thailand.

• Stayed: April 2011