“Large clean rooms but poor food offerings.”
Review of Ssaw Hotel (Plaza)

Ssaw Hotel (Plaza)
Ranked #745 of 2,428 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I recently stayed five nights for business and overall was very satisfied with the stay. The room was large and clean. In fact, it was cleaned every day whether I left the do not disturb sign on the door or not. The provided free bottled water daily and the mini bar prices were pretty good. It was also nice that the room had a small fridge. There was no bar soap in the bathroom only liquid body wash and shampoo which was a bother. At the same time, they provided robes and slippers which was a nice touch. Others have complained about the staff's lack of English. While I tried to speak with them in Chinese, I hear a few of the front desk people use simple English. My biggest complaint about this hotel is the breakfast offerings. While there was some decent variety, the quality of the Western and Chinese breakfasts was poor. While I am not surprised that the waffles and french toast were not quite up to standard, the poor quality Chinese food was disappointing. The hotel is well located to transportation and while not super convenient to the West Lake, was just about a 10 min cab ride away. They also had a fitness room which has seen better days but the equipment worked fine and that's really all you can ask for in a hotel at this level.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Not too bad, for that price. Same usual problems as for all the medium category accomodations in China:
- dirty carpeted floor with stains (do they ever change it or clean it?)
- almost no English staff
- small wardrobe
Location is average too, close to the center (but not enough to walk to the central areas).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

43sqm rooms as standard. Queen bed that looks like king. Very nice location even close to wulin square metro station. Easy to get a taxi there.

The only downside is that they really need to put a door in the toilet... Seriously!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here recently and was disappointed by the total lack of english spoken. The rooms while clean and spacious are only entered after dark and very tired looking passages. The breakfast offering was really sad as this was the worst Western Offering I have ever had in China.
Because my room rate excluded breakfast, I was happy to pay, however the young lady on duty would not let me enter the breakfast room as I did not have a voucher.
The position of the hotel is ok, and close enough to downtown Hangzhou and the departmental stores, but stay again next year, I think not.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A Good location and great attention to detail with respect to cleanliness in the room and throughout as well were the highlights of this fine hotel. The room was clean, spacious, had an amazing view and the mini-fridge had plenty of complimentary drinks...which were restocked every day!! Staff was efficient though their service lacked some warmth I thought.

Please note that the air-conditioning is not all that comfortable...but then again the outside temperature was a scorching 43 degrees Celsius so I am willing to give them a pass! However I did not face a similar problem in other hotels across china, in cities with comparable weather.

TIP: The bathroom is separated from the room by a transparent glass wall and has NO door whatsoever! Since I was with my partner that was not a problem...but be prepared to conduct your 'business' in full view of whoever you are travelling with!!

Also, English may be a problem here. My partner speaks Mandarin so we didn't have a problem but every time I opened my mouth I got befuddled stares and gaping mouths.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We booked the hotel through Agoda and apparently our booking was not registered.
Although at first the staff offered to give us a room with twin beds, after a short discussion they offered to upgrade our room.
We stayed in a very nice and spacious room with modern fittings and decoration.
Overall the service was quite good and the location of the hotel allows to reach several commercial districts or places of interest within 15mn walking .
The only disappointment was breakfast: the buffet selection is quite scarce, the breakfast room is tiny and the deco contrasts with what we found in the room, but mostly it is messy and the service is very poor. In short we had to eat breakfast on a dirty table and the floor under the chairs and table was covered with food leftovers . That particular experience was not so nice and was the only flaw in our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is a good hotel with comfortable rooms and helpfull staff

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple