“Nice hotel, but too hot and no English speaking staff on the front desk.”

New Century Grand Hotel
Ranked #29 of 2,491 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I understand that it is arrogant to expect staff to speak English to a greater level than to go through the checking in process, but what frustrates me about the the new century is they have a number of European students (i presume as they are in their early twenties) wandering around doing basic jobs like collecting plates in the dining area, and when you speak to them their English is perfect... So why in a hotel with a large amount of westerners in it, do they not think it wise to have one on the front desk as part of the team of 6-8 staff already present?
Admittedly my annoyance to this has only been found on my second stay in the hotel, when the outside temperature was much higher 38oC and seemed to make the rooms hotter with it. I like my room to be 20oC at night if possible and therefore used the AC control in the room to dial this in. I went down for dinner and returned to find the air flowing in had not changed in temperature and on measuring the temperature in the room with a thermometer I had with me for work, I measured a very hot 26oC! I turned the dial to the lowest setting of 10oC and attempted to go to sleep on the comfortable bed with a large fluffy duvet on it.
After a restless and sweaty couple of hours sleep, I gave up and hoped that changing my room in the morning would rectify my AC problems, so in the morning I inquired whether the AC was broken in my room or that it was set at one temperature across the whole hotel and that it could not be changed in the room. To this I had blank expressions from all the staff and the response was to change my room. This was a pain as it meant re-packing my suitcase and dragging my bags up to the next floor to an identical room with an indentical temperature and lack of controls!
After another poor nights sleep I again inquired at the front desk whether the temperature is preset and finally got the answer of yes it is and changing rooms again won't help. I then asked if getting a thinner quilt/duvet/blanket or sheet would be possible, but all these words did not seem to be in their vocabulary so I started acting out the process of getting into bed and pulling a sheet over me etc. this finally worked but I was told that this is not available. I was given a fan for my room which helped slightly but was a bit noisy.
Everything else about the hotel is fine, with the breakfast covering Chinese and western tastes, with my only slight complaint being the omelette station being hard to get service at and normally resulting in a ten minute wait due to him constantly making fried eggs and not having time to switch to anything else.
Overall I will not stay in the New Century again, as it is 35mins travel to the factory that we visit and really not worth the trip.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on business and was impressed by this place as a hotel. I was NOT impressed by the restaurants, but this is a hotel review so I digress. The rooms were very clean and cozy, the bathroom nice, and a pretty stunning view of the green mountains and temples in the distance. My shower was sloped wrongly, so the water pooled and leaked on to the floor a little, which is my one main complaint. Health facilities were impressive for a hotel.

The thing that struck me as odd about this hotel were the No Smoking signs EVERYWHERE in the hotel, and Chinese men smoking EVERYWHERE in the hotel. I mean, elevators, lobby, restaurants, everywhere. So if you're allergic to smoke, be prepared for this and be sure to request a non-smoking floor which still has ash trays everywhere but seemed, at least to me, to be void of stink. It seems like this is the norm in this area of China, though, so I'm not sure you'll find a real non-smoking hotel around.

I would recommend eating elsewhere for all meals aside from breakfast though. That was decent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Though I frequently travel in China (at least once a month), I've always stayed at foreign branded hotels - trusting in the quality of service etc...Had a conference here in Hangzhou which was organised in this hotel. Expecting less, when I arrived, the interior fittings were of or better than most 4 star internationally branded hotels. The rooms - definitely above or the same as those of international brands. However, although the in hotel restaurants were more catered for domestic tourists, it wasn't bad at all. Service, certainly wouldn't be of high end international hotel standards but still, I would say that they try. Give it another year or two, and I am sure it would be on par with the rest of them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

All in all this is a very nice property. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable and quiet. The restuarants are clean and the food tasty with enough items in the breakfast buffet to suit a Western palate.

The only complaint I would have would be regarding the gym facilities. The facilities are adequate and in good working order. However they are located with quite far away from any staff and not within sightlines of staff as well. I was in the gym alone and felt a bit vulnerable when a gentleman arrived wearing street clothes and walked around the facility for 15 minutes while I was there. Maybe I was just being a bit paranoid as a woman alone in a foreign country with little language skills can be...but I did not visit the gym my second day becasue of this.

Also, beverage are not complimentary in the gym including bottled (warm) water although complimentary water is available in your room. I purchased a bottle fro 20RMB, but had to walk to other side of the hotel to charge it to my room. Very strange.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Trust me: Do whatever you can for the high floor/upgrade. I was upgraded to the executive level floors. I had a marble staircase to my floor, which blew my mind. It was a more luxurious experience than my visits to the Pallazzo in Vegas. Free wifi, enormous bathroom.

The view at night and in the morning from the room was incredible - lush, green surroundings with a snaking jogging path below. Mountains in the distance. For dinner, head next door to the hot pot restaurant - my best meal while in China. Authentic and cheap.

PRO's:
-Good service
-Substantially Upgraded without even asking. Made me feel like I was a president or something.
-OUTSTANDING view.
-Comfortable bed.
-Free wifi (now, about Facebook and Twitter access...hmm)
-Great running route right outside (avoid the gym; just go outside)

CON's:
- Alright breakfast. Didn't make my heart flutter, but it was continental and provided all the options. Quality wasn't be best (stale bread, etc.)

Room Tip: Do whatever you can (specifically, ask at the front desk) to get the executive floor and the dazzlin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2013

stayed her 1 night for business.

it is a nice hotel, big but good. I stayed in a deluxe room which was nice and offered good internet. The bed comfortable and the bathroom nice.

The service was good, al over the hotel.

Breakfast for me (european) was a little bit a disapointment. Not that much choice and the quality was not so good. We asked for a capuchino and a double espresso, which was not included. Ok, we accepted that but finally we got a bill of about 100 RMB for that. Rather expensive to me.

I expected a nice gym but that turned out to be wrong. There is a kind of boulevard inside with all different "shops" like the pool, gym, spa, massage etc. Gym was nothing special, in fact for this kind of hotel I think it should be better.

all in all I would come her again. Also as this hotel offers the best location for me when visiting this area for business and it has a good value-for-money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Service standards of the staff were good and make you feel at home, from the quick overnight shoe polishing service to in-room dining at the wee hours of the night. Lobby lounge and restaurant service staff are also friendly and nice (the waitress cleared and replace my buffet plates almost instantaneously).

The hotel is centrally located in the Xiaoshan district of Hangzhou - the core CBD area of the city. However, guests should not to be confused with the hotel location with those that are within walking distance to the tourist attraction area of Hangzhou (example Xi Hu). Metro station that are currently being constructed is located right in front of the hotel - believe that will improve the hotel's accessibility even further when it's up.

Recommended for guests on business trips to Hangzhou - the hotel is one of the tallest (if not the tallest) landmark in Xiaoshan, Hangzhou.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business