“Excellent services and facilities are modern”

New Century Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 2,414 Hotels in Hangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent services and facilities are modern”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The swimming pool is clean. Buffet breakfast has many varieties of food. My mom is a vegetarian but there were many choices for her. In the room, there were 2 toy fans and my girl liked the fans very much. We talked to Kevin of the front desk that we would like to have a screw to put the battery inside the fan (in fact, we had no battery and intended to buy somewhere around) but ultimately there''s a room maid giving us 2 new fans with batteries that we could use immediately. Thanks Kevin for your kindiness. The hotel has all facilities I needed except without connected rooms for us (I booked 2 rooms with my parents of 75 years old so connected rooms are quite important for us to take care of them!)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hangzhou, China
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We arrived in march 2011 early in the morning around 3 am, find the room actually a good interior, but unfortunately the air con come out as hot air even we set for 10 degree temperature !! after complain to the manager, he said that the whole hotel using central systems, and they do set it for hot air (heater ??) and the air con control box is not function no matter how many degree you put on !! after a long complain the solution is : they bring in the fan + open the window for us ??? this is the first time ever in the 5 star hotel experience that we have such a bad service !!!! furthermore, the toilet water is leakage !!!! gosh !! really not worth for the price, 4 star hotel seems like have more service than this hotel ! SUCKS !

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Lannykwandy
Birkenshaw
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I stayed in this hotel recently on a business trip. No complaints with the quality of the hotel (think I was on the Executive floor) with a very grand bedroom and bathroom.

Staff were very friendly and the cocktails were pretty good and the food was good, although I would recommend going into Hangzhou to eat.

Only gripe would be the location as although this says its in Hangzhou its probably 15 minute drive to the city centre. That said I would still recommend the hotel as I got the room for £60 a night which was great value for money.....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank paulstevo1978
bay area, ca
Reviewed April 7, 2009

My first visit to this hotel was in March 2009. I was very hurried and only had a one night stay. Consequently, I left my Sonicare toothbrush in the hotel. I accepted that it was just gone. However, in early April I again stayed in this hotel, and to my surprise, they still had my toothbrush ($150 value), and returned it to me the first day. They also returned a bottle of bourbon that I had forgotten that I left!
I travel six months a year, and this was the best service I have ever encountered.
Thank you, New Century.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 4, 2009

The new century grand hotel was perfect for our recent business trip. The rooms and facilities were clean, food was not spectacular but acceptable, the rate was perfect for business travel. The service and staff were amazing, I lost my luggage during this trip, and the concierge extraordinaire, Mr. Frankie Qu, actually did the impossible of tracking down my luggage in the nick of time. Just that kind of service is out of this world. The hotel is located at a business district and not that close to westlake.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
shanghai
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Beware this Hotel is a long way from Hangzhou attractions like Westlakes and location is not clear in sites like expedia. Promoted by the hotel as 30 mins away but took us longer on every occasion over 3 days.

We booked a non smoking high floor suite for 3 adults, our son is 15. We got the 13th flloor (smoke permeated the floor) and we later read the 41 first floor was smoke free in the hotel info sheet. We were asked for an additional 400 yuan for a roll away which we refused to pay for as we chose a suite and our booking was clearly for 3 adults. In the end we negotiated the cigarette smoke and low floor for the price of the roll away. the receptionist i negotiated with was rational and sophisticated problem solver but had to defer to unseen management.

Overall impressions are : New hotel of extensive marble. Suites were nice, large with quality fittings, firmish bed but not bad for china! Staff - at times it was quite surprising to find in such new hotel, staff that were clearly well trained and experienced, an adequate mix appeared to exist with those that appeared to have had little or no training / experience. somehow the qualified staff never seemed too far away. Food - we had dinner once in the buffet dinning area next to the japenese rest. All you can eat buffet was not inspiring at all. after avoiding the buffet a number of dishes we ordered turned out not to be available and the food we did order was fair to poor. hainan chicken rice was disappointing, using chicken breast pieces that seemed to be flavoured for another dish entirely. the hamburgers had a greasiness and rather unpleasant 'animal meat fat' nuance I really wondered how this was achieved with what appeared to be a well ground and nicely cooked patty. The burger buns were petite dinner rolls dressed in sad lettuce and came with ok french fries. the food seem to come from a kitchen that did not care and or did not know. the waitress was very pleasant and attentative though.when we finished our meal we were later 'chased' by cash register staff to verify our room number and guest status. (one of the poor trained staff?)

We stayed during the may holiday week and the hotel seemed to be quite busy despite being nowhere near a tourist attraction and i wondered if this was a result of a promotional pricing campaign. i observed some of the guests had taken to spitting on the marble floors in public areas in the hotel.

overall if i needed to be in this part of hangzhou for some reason i would stay here again on the basis that with low expectations, things could only improve from such a low baseline, with good key staff (except kitchen) and nice physical facilities.

management might want to be a bit more accessable to clients if they want to improve guest experiences here.

• Liked — marble everywhere
  • Disliked — food and location
  • Stayed May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank paulpolot
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Stayed at this hotel a few months after it opened. Was very pleased with the appearance and the style of the guest rooms. THe hotel contained all the restaurants and shops that you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Will stay here again the next time travel to Xianshan/Hangzhou is scheduled.

Stayed October 2005