“STill a fantastic place but not as good as before”

Landison Longjing Resort
Ranked #75 of 2,414 Hotels in Hangzhou
Hong Kong, China
“STill a fantastic place but not as good as before”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is about the 6th time I stayed here, the rooms are starting to be a bit worn down but still in pretty good condition.
Restaurant have changed the menu totally to now have one with totally non understandable English and most of the local dishes are gone, bad, I liked the old menu, hope it returns.
The breakfast is same as before and good, especially that you could make your own juice.
Did rent bicycle as usual, CNY20/h, Ok, but hope they learn how to service them properly...this time the front gear where badly adjusted.
All in all still the best place in Hangzhou for me

Room Tip: IF you want a non smoking room it could be hard, but demand it. I like the rooms on the tea hill sid...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

A visit to Hangzhou cannot be complete without a stay at the Landison Longjing Resort.
Located in the countryside of Hangzhou West Lake surrounded by Green Tea plantations the Landison Resort is well equipped to address the needs of its guests. The hotel offers good quality services and convenient and comfortable accommodations. The hotel location will require taxi or an arranged vehicle for transportation to and from locations. If the visit is strictly for pleasure and limited to three to four days the car will not be necessary as there are good Chinese restaurants at walking distance to the hotel. The hotel is located in a village as such the roads are narrow and not well lighted at night. If considering walking after dusk a flash light is highly recommended. The hotel offer SPA experience and tea ceremonies. Considering the very special location for teas it is highly recommended to sample the large and exquisite selection available at the resort and in the surrounding areas.
The resort offers good breakfast with a good selection of Chinese/Western cuisine, and lunch and dinner of equally good quality. The experience of staying at the resort will certainly be one of relaxation and peacefulness away from the ever growing busy life of the cities. A worthier experience.

Room Tip: Select the room with balcony. 214 excellent room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Alan C
Shanghai, China
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have been Landison hotel for 2 nights. It's a beautiful hotel in Lonjing area. Deluxe room is very big and very clean. Breakfast also is very good. Everything was perfect! It's really a great hotel for holiday. I will stay again next time!

Room Tip: Deluxe room on the south side is beautiful
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray S
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It's been the second time I've stayed here. The hotel is located at the very inside of a little village, against a mountain. Some people complain it's difficult to find, but I don't think it's that hard. The hotel room is decorated very comfortably with a Chinese touch here and there. I especially like the balcony facing the mountain side. You can hear birds chirping and see squirrels occasionally. Sitting in the sofa next to the balcony with the door open, I can smell the mountain so closely and feel extremely peaceful. The hotel staff, however, is not overly friendly. Part of the reason may be too many guests at the Summer. I tried the spa this time and did a 60 minute full body aroma massage. The masseuse was wonderful. It's very soothing and the lanvendar oil smell like heaven. The price is quite high though, 680 with 15% service charge. However, I got 400 cash coupons from the hotel, so it's not too bad. Overall, I think it's a good place to go for a peaceful few days. This place is very quiet, quite different from the hustle and bustle of the Chinese cities.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony is really nice. Rooms on the north side faces the mountain and rooms on the south...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emma F
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Located on a lush hillside, just a few minutes drive from the beautiful West Lake, this hotel offers travelers an opportunity to escape the fast pace and noise that is so typical of Chinese cities. The setting is beautiful, hidden among hills of tea and thick forests. The hotel is clean and reasonably well maintained. Rooms are nicely furnished in semi traditional Chinese style. The beds are extremely comfortable. The hotel has a very nice outdoor pool that would be more inviting if the tiles were blue rather than a dark green. Still, it is a great place to spend a tranquil afternoon in Hangzhou. Unless you are driving, transportation can be a problem since taxi's seldom come to the hotel. The restaurant is very good and there is a variety of other restaurants strewn among the hills in easy walking distance. The staff of the hotel is not very friendly nor helpful. In my experience and in over hearing conversations among other guests, the staff is more interested in maintaining the perceived rules and regulations of the hotel than meeting the needs and wishes of the guests. This is the primary factor which prevented me from rating the hotel a 5. While the location does have it's drawbacks, it is a great destination if you are just looking to escape to a restful, peaceful and natural environment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The food is very amazing, may be one of the best restaurant I tried in China.

But : the service is warm but not professional. Only one people speaks english (which one is not very available), the others speak only chinese. Not very useful for foreigners ...

Rooms are nice, but not so amazing as we expected.

Fitness is funny (with a tea plantation view) :-)

Last but not least : the hotel is far from the lake and the temples, more far from the city.
And it is very difficult to find taxi that agree to bring us to the Landison Longjing Resort.

Conclusion : a very good restaurant, an hotel OK, a poor service, a bad location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luc M
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 17, 2012

There are affable, nice-looking, well-intentioned people in the world who might be the perfect match for someone else but, for whatever reason, the alchemy isn't there for you.

Such is the dynamic between traveler and accommodation. The Landison Longjing, as documented in previous comments on this site, has a lot to offer the right guest: A serene location, a very nice pool area, a hearty breakfast buffet, afternoon tea, a helpful, if somewhat programmatic, staff.

Mindful of these attributes, I did an about-face and booked myself there for three nights. Initially, I'd reserved the JW Marriott in Hangzhou, which would place me in a modern hotel with serious amenities and close proximity to West Lake and the majority of restaurants I'd bookmarked. But the more I dug into Hangzhou, the more I read that the real magic was nestled in the hills to the very near west and south of the city -- hiking trails through tea fields that offer expansive views of the city, bike rides along winding roads with bamboo on either side, scents, sounds, lushness.

Armed with this new information, I switched to the Landison Longjing because, as reliable as the JWM would be, I'm a let's-hit-the-trail-after-breakfast kind of guy and the hikes described on sites like CNNGo looked stellar -- and the Landison still was only a 10-minute cab ride or easy bike ride to the Lake and those joints in town I wanted to check out.

I imagined, though, given the Landison Lonjing's location, the "boutique resort" was a place that could also cater to the active, athletic-minded traveler.

It isn't that by any stretch.

It simply isn't what they do, and that tempered my experience.

When I sought encouragement and information, I encountered confusion and incredulity.

When I checked in mid-afternoon, I quickly changed clothes so I could get a short hike in before dinner. The staff seemed perplexed that a guest would want to head out at 3:30pm. Then when I asked if they could direct me to a nearby trailhead, it was as if I asked for -- I don't know -- a jetpack so I could visit Sal's House of Arthropods. The request didn't compute, and the confusion exceeded any language barrier.

I explained that I wanted to hike and was looking for a trail in the nearby hills. They showed me the main road on a map, at which point I asked for a dirt trail ("no cars") -- and now we were clearly in Lost in Translation mode. I brought out the article titled "The 5 Best Hikes in Hangzhou," each of which originated within a mile of the resort. No luck there either.

Was it possible I was the first guest in the hotel's history that arrived with the intention of having an active weekend? That despite countless articles by major outlets and posts from independent travel bloggers about the glorious hikes that were in the Landison's backyard, the staff at the resort had never compiled the requisite information to guide someone like me to where I needed to go? What did guests do here all day, apart from sit around and drink tea?

Ultimately, the manager, Alex, appeared and started to get my drift. He still wasn't proficient in the subject area, but he gave it his best shot.

The hotel rents bikes at 20 RMB/hour (unnecessarily expensive, but whatever), but doesn't offer maps of the area, something I learned on the morning of my ride.

From Beijing to Shanghai to Yangshuo to Lijiang, this was the first hotel in the country I'd visited that didn't offer a map for excursions. Given the winding roads, causeways and paths around Hangzhou/West Lake, I found this particularly odd, especially since it's such an easy thing to provide guests.

Observing the crowd and soaking up the vibe, it became clear that, in actuality, I might have been the first guest to ever approach a visit to Landison Longjing as if I were going to Canyon Ranch, Tea Country. On site: lots of young families from Shanghai, a few older couples, some tea junkies.

But I was clearly the only dude in the place with Salomon low-top hikers and bike shorts.

For this, I can't fault the resort in the least. Simply speaking, that's not their demographic.

Their typical guest has a working knowledge of the area and, if he doesn't, is fluent enough to find his way around. The Venn Diagram of (a) Foreigner (b) Outdoorsy/Let's-Conquer-These-Hills at the Landison Longjing consists of a negligible number of guests.

Maybe one.

Given that, is it fair to ask the hotel to have the flexibility and breadth of services to account for someone interested in a more active trip? I can't say for sure.

What can you ask is for a smooth delivery of the other amenities, and this is where the Landison Longjing failed.

+ Temperature control in the room left a lot to be desired (the A/C doesn't kick in until 6p in September, the very friendly staffer informed me, which meant the room was stuffy when I returned in the late afternoon). After 6p, the 24-degree Celsius conditions in the room nudged down to 23C, but never lower than that, despite being set for 20. This made for an uncomfortable night of sleep in a room priced at 1200 RMB and, I wonder, if the original explanation (after 6p the A/C kicks in, was dishonest).

+ The gym was a sad little cage with a lonely treadmill and stationary bike, a few dumbbells and an ancient Nautilus machine.

+ There was a dainty formalism that made me nervous but, again, maybe I'm peculiar. For example, my plan was to set off after breakfast on Saturday morning for a long bike ride. The front desk wanted to know on Friday night, rather insistently, the *exact* time I wanted the bicycle. This is the sort of behavior from hotel staff that drives me nuts when I'm on vacation. I asked for a reasonable window between 8a-10a. Because maybe I'd take an early breakfast, and be itching to go. Then again, maybe I'd sleep until 8a, sit out on the deck with a book, then mosey in for breakfast closer to 9a. There are any number of variables, but the primary one being, in the inimitable words of Billy Crystal in City Slickers: "I'm on vacation!" You're charging me double the going rate for a bike rental, so excuse me if I'd like a negligible amount of leeway, please!

+The final, and fatal, incident occurred when I returned to the hotel a hair before 1pm. I'd ridden all morning -- climbed up the nearby hills, battled the insane traffic around West Lake. It was an exhilarating morning and, on the ride back to the hotel, all I could think about was putting on my swimsuit and heading outside with my Kindle to read in the sun in a chaise lounge by the super-nice pool. Only when I went outside, I found a crew of at least a dozen setting up a formal party that occupied the entirety of the pool area. No lounge chairs. No reasonable place for a guest who wants a little R & R (at a hotel that offers precious little in other amenities on a sunny Saturday afternoon). I understand that hotels make bank off private parties. But I think it’s unconscionable not to inform other guests that the pool area would, for all practical purposes, be unavailable to them during a weekend afternoon.

With nothing to do, a stifling room that was currently at 24C and adjacent to this major party mobilization, I realized the Landison Longjing wasn’t for me. I did not want to be marooned in a remote hotel that couldn’t offer services they promise, nor had the expertise or knowledge to point me in the right direction for something as a hike.

For Shanghai families looking to escape the megapolis, for romantics looking for something akin to a getaway and for tea junkies exploring the holy grail, the Landison Longjing makes a lot of sense.

For a guy who needs climate control, a little guidance to a trailhead in an area apparently dotted with them, and the opportunity to veg by the pool, there’s little at the Landison of value. I don't care about afternoon tea and, truthfully, breakfast is not a huge thing for me. I'm happy to grab a street snack at 2 RMB on the road.

Special mention goes to Alex K., the manager who generously and expeditiously allowed me to check out at a moment’s notice and move to the JW Marriott, where I should’ve been all along. Alex even waived the 100 RMB fee for my bike rental. Like an intuitive matchmaker, Alex knew what I knew -- his hotel and I were a bad fit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo