“Good Hotel at Good Value”

Crystal Orange Hotel
Ranked #53 of 2,402 Hotels in Hangzhou
Singapore
“Good Hotel at Good Value”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I stayed at Crystal Orange Hotel on 6 June 2010 and am overall happy with the hotel room. The hotel is quite trendy. The rooms were clean and tasteful, with a clean and comfortable bed. I was happy that it was not the super-firm type of mattress that is normally found in China hotel chains. The glass wall of the bathroom added a quirky touch to the room.

Another quirky touch was the pet fighting fish in the room, and the rubik's cube. My son, who takes great pride in solving rubik's cube puzzles fast, said that the colours have been switched around.

The reception staff seem overworked, and do not have the time for niceties. But they are efficient and do their best to get the paperwork done fast and give you your room. However, they do not speak English, and that will be a stumbling block if you do not speak Mandarin.

There is a good Brazilian churrascaria restaurant connected to the Hotel and it costs 68-78rmb per person depending on whether you go on weekday/weekend. The meats were quite good, and the ribs were succulent. You get live entertainment too!

The breakfast, however, is not something to die for. To be honest, it was paltry. The porridge was edible (and that will do for me), but the selection of muffins, cakes and pastries which make up their continental breakfast selection were cold, hard and unpalatable. Egg was done only as "egg over (super)hard" and was cold. No ham, bacon or sausage. If a good buffet breakfast is what makes or breaks your holiday, then it is better to give this a miss.

But for a clean room, comfortable beds, and a good location near to West Lake - all for a reasonable price - I would stay at Cyrstal Orange Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California, U.S.
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We stayed in Orange Hotel for 3 nights, great location and room is perfect. Breakfast is not that great because same kind of food everyday will be boring to everyone. Do Not stay on the 5th floor, my friend got the room on the 5th floor for the first night. It was HOT and a/c can't even cool off the room.

This hotel has no business center but they have WiFi, so if you don't bring your laptop, you are out of luck.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
YVR
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Great location, easy to walk to Xi Hu ( West Lake).
Clean and cozy, good design room, kids can play on the wood floor ( no more dirty carpet which most hotel still use).
Friendly staff, my kids received gift when we checked in.
Only one thing bother us was the room was too hot ( winter time ) if you're at the room without window. they can't fix it, but we've been provided with a portable fan.
Good experience and we will come back stay here again.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I stayed here just a few days after a stay at the Friendship Hotel. I would never stay at the Crystal Orange again! The Friendship was superior in just about every way... an extra 100rmb gets you a 5 star hotel! I would not recommend the Crystal Orange hotel, here are my experiences...

-The lady at the check in was unfriendly, bordering on rude. No hello or any niceties, but an insistent and accusing "do you have a reservation"... they did not have mine in their system apparently (I had the printed confirmation thankfully)... this was followed by "give me your passport" and then "give me your credit card"... at this point I considered jumping in a taxi and heading to another hotel, it was a horrible 'welcome'.
-The lobby isn't somewhere you'd spend any time... a bit cold and unwelcoming, but I'd just stayed at the Friendship hotel, which is lavish and beautiful by comparison, so I was a bit biased probably.
- The room didn't have a balcony, but had windows you could open and enough room. I liked the hardwood floors. This hotel seems very much oriented towards Chinese guests.... there was only 1 English language tv station, and this was the Chinese CCTV station, English version. Not BBC or CNN, but it was fine.
-There was no airconditioning/heating. It got very hot in my room, so I could either open the windows and tolerate the loud traffic noise (I was facing the main road) or be uncomfortably hot. A couple in the room next door were arguing until late, and I could hear every word. I could even hear the man snoring later on. The walls were paper thin - this is not a hotel to get a good's night sleep in.
-Possibly the worst thing here was the breakfast. The sorriest effort I have seen - so much so that I didn't bother using my breakfast voucher the 2nd day, and opted for pastries from a local bakery instead. I arrived 10minutes after it was supposed to have begun, and there was only a rice congee with something fishy floating in it... no toppings, and a pile of bananas and mandarins that had clearly been there for some time... I tried an orange, it was old, dry and horrid. I waited as staff brought in some warm coffee and tossed some bread buns into a server that didn't look as though it had been cleaned from the day before... but these were edible. There was some plain bread, but condiments of any sort. Eventually some rice with chicken pieces came out, which were nice. But I had my only stomach upset in China a few hours later, another reason I avoided another meal in this restaurant.
- The location is quite good, and there was one good local sort of restaurant that I found just down the road, which was a redeeming factor, along with a couple of little bakeries. There is also a nice day spa next door.

I couldn't recommend this hotel - yes, it was different, small and boutiquey, but done in a 3-star way, and without the facilities of other hotels with a similar price. The fish in the room didn't make up for my unpleasant stay, and I would never consider staying here again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JulesTwinMum
manila
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have read good reports about this hotel thats why i booked this hotel the front desk are not very friendly first they gave me a room when iI opened the door there were still guest staying inside the room, they gave me another room after opening it the key card would not work we change about 3 times . I ask if they have internet in the front desk they said they have no business center. as of this moment I am still here in this I hoping that things will change tomorrow I think this hotel is overrated

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Since I speak fluent Putonghua, I called the hotel reservation center to do the booking. I certainly did not receive warm reception over the phone. The voice was cold, and the receptionist seems to just want to get it over with, rushing to answer before I could finish the question. I asked about the room size, and I got different answers from different people who answer the phone. Since I will not arrive until after 8pm, I gave my credit card information for the reservation. When I emailed the service counter to cancel the reservation, there was no cancellation confirmation received, not even a reply. I have not stayed in this hotel yet, but how good can it be if this is the treatment I can before my stay?

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ramida
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I have stayed in two Orange hotels now, one in Tianjin and one in Hangzhou.

I would say they fulfil the needs of 90% of the travellers, and they do these very well.

On the surface, the decor is modern and everything looks clean. Okay, there are stains and dust in some places if you look very hard, but it is definitely liveable.

It is a no frills hotel like Ibis, but with style. The little touches like chocolate, gold fish and rubix cube make this hotel non-standard.

The location is next to the west lake, but tucked away in a small side street. Most things are within walking distance once you are familiar with the area.

I do hope this chain expands into other cities and keep the same style and service.

Do get the VIP card, it is very cheap and gives you some discount on the room rate and free breakfast, though don't have high expectation on the free breakfast, it is very plain.

Best of all, this hotel, plus other hotels in the chain are very reasonably priced. It is always about 1/2 the rate of standard 4* hotels. I would rate this hotel as a 3*.

I usually don't like local chains like Hanting, 7 Days, Jinjiang, etc, but I do like this one. You feel like you are staying at a boutique hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple