“Very swish and modern”
Review of Tea Boutique Hotel

Tea Boutique Hotel
Ranked #37 of 2,428 Hotels in Hangzhou
Reviewed May 20, 2011

There is usually one hotel on my trip which pleasantly surprises me. This was it.

This is clearly a modern hotel. It is very tastefully decorated in soft colours and subtle lighting, well equipped, comfortable and very clean. The bath was round - and huge. I don't normally go for baths but I just had to try this out, enjoying a complementary apple and tea. There is water too, but it's not in bottles so if you plan on taking it out for the day you'll need something to decant it into. There is internet - I couldn't get the wireless to work on my laptop but it did work on my mobile. There is also wired access which is reliable. Service is good - including turn-down and the front desk were able to help with a few matters.

Location-wise, you are across the road from the forest hill to the north of West Lake, which is worth exploring for the temple and pagoda therein. You'll come out on the north of the lake, from where you can easily visit Quyuan gardens and cross the lake via whatever means takes your fancy. You are on almost the opposite side of the lake from the town, but I didn't really mind that as I earned my dinner by walking half way round West Lake.

I was really impressed with this hotel. It wasn't all that cheap but it was a delight to be staying here. I would be more than happy to return!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank reevery

Reviewed April 12, 2011

We (2 adults, 2 children 9 & 12) wanted some comfort but didn't want a 'Western' style hotel, and this was just what we were looking for. Everything was beautifully fitted out, bathrooms were very nice, bedrooms very comfortable. The living space (in a 2 bedroom suite) was not huge, and there were no kitchen facilities, but that just makes you get out and explore the city and nearby Westlake.

Staff's English was passable (damn site better than our Chinese) and they were helpful, if a little 'stand-offy'.

Walk to Westlake (20 mins) is good. We had a room at the front of the building and there was a little traffic noise, but then there's 7.5 million people in town so you don't expect complete silence. Still slept very comfortably.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Howie60
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Hangzhou is an expensive place and to travel during the golden weekend adds to the cost variable. But we found this hotel - only 60 rooms spread over 3 floors. We arrived late. Staff was genuinely helpful and service oriented. She walked the family to the room and asked if we liked the room.
We chose a king-sized bed room and added one single bed. There was still room to move around. Clean room, large bathroom with separate tub and shower area. Amenities are provided including ironing board, hair dryer. Internet access is FREE. Other hotels should learn!
About five minutes walk to the right of the hotel, there is a big hypermarket. There is also 24h McD and pizza hut at the same place.
Only setback was the room we have faced the main road and the room insulation was not good.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from road.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Fibreace380
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of March. Wasn't that impressed with Hangzhou other than West Lake but this hotel made my stay worthwhile. The location is a bit of a walk down to West Lake, but there's a bus right in front of the hotel that will take you there, along with plenty of cheap taxis. The hotel is what I always try to look for while traveling... a small, beautifully designed boutique hotel with great service at a reasonable price along with being unpretentious. This hotel fit the bill perfectly!
This was the most spacious room I had while in China. The service was excellent. One of the front desk employees actually went out of his way to walk me to the bus stop to make sure I got on the correct bus to my destination. I wish I'd gotten his name... his English was great and he was so incredibly helpful!

Also didn't find the food in Hangzhou very good in general. Did have breakfast in the hotel one morning... it was good and the service was excellent. Now wished I'd tried dinner there instead of the other places I went to... neither one was very good.

The Hotel also offers a free hand massage in their small spa, which is a nice touch.

Was very happy I stayed here as it was the nicest hotel I stayed in during my trip to Shanghai, Hangzhou and Beijing.

Hoping one day they open up a hotel in Beijing!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mundochic
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed 2 nights in the Tea Boutique Hotel. It's a 3-storey building. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, rather spacious and clean. However, the toilet with its white small square tiles looks very dated. The 3 kinds of complimentary tea leaves along with 1L of spring water from Tiger Run Spring which is available to all rooms is an interesting touch. Our room was facing the main road which made it a little noisy in the morning.
Breakfast options are limited - chinese porridge set, chinese noodles set, american breakfast set (which isn't very appetizing) or healthy breakfast set. There are only a few kinds of bread and fruits at the ''buffet'' table.
The location is not very near to the West Lake. We had to cab to the lake.
Overall, the hotel is very value for money.

PS: we were charged RMB 15 for removing the laundry bag from the room.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank WanChew
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I have visited HangZhou a few months prior to this trip. We wanted to stay near WestLake, but find most hotels were older. I don't care for older hotels and did not want to pay over $500/night for a family of 4 in Hyatt.
Found this on the search and what a pleasant surprise! It's new, clean and has all the gears you need in the room. The service was better than most of the hotel experiences i've had in China!!
If you have to pick on it, there's not much going on in the neighborhood. you have to cab around and in HZ, cabs are hard to get!
We had such good experience, we've made this the offocial hotel we recommend to all of our friends and families who are visiting HZ in the future!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dry_surfing
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Much better than expected. The tea especially is impressive. Be sure to try the local favorite -long Jing which is right in the tea cupboard and is complimentary. The water is also taken from a famous local spring on a daily basis and on a limited supply - 1 L per room! The best tea during our whole trip!! Location wise, not right next to the Lake but only 5 min away by taxi. The retaurant is another highlight as we didn't know it's fame when booking the hotel- it's one of the best crab places u can find in town! Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2010