“Great and luxury hotel”

Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Colorful Yunnan Kunming
Ranked #8 of 1,201 Hotels in Kunming
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here for one night as a mini weekend trip to Kunming, Yunan. The hotel is 40 mins taxi from the airport or you can get there by bus after taking the Airport Shuttle to the city center (a much cheaper option). It is located within a shopping district and there are plenty of shopping sites and restaurants available right at the back of the hotel.

The hotel itself is pretty new. Bedroom is spacious, clean and furnished. Carpet will need more thorough cleaning as I can sense a little bit dust if I have my bare foot on it. We're most impressed with the bathroom as it is big and contains a TV right inside the mirror! Bathtub is big and is separated from the shower, and a separate glass cubicle for the toilet.

The hotel provides nice amenities. Fitness center and business center are available though we didn't try it. Massage service is also there. Our package included a buffet breakfast. It was pretty decent with classic breakfast items, fruit, salad and drinks. Staff was courteous and the manager even apologized for a small dirt on the floor.

All in all, though the hotel is pricey given the low price level in the city, we have been impressed with the value received. Will definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Colorful Yunnan Kunming

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Tonight is our sixth and last night in this hotel. We are return guests from last year. This is an excellent choice for a relaxing stay in Kunming. Situated in the southern part of the city, it is, because of the freeway, an easy 45 minute ride to the airport ( about $12 taxi ride as at this date )and only a fifteen minute taxi ride to the city ( about $2.50 ).
It is also conveniently situated in the South Asia (Nan Ya) shopping precinct. So, lots of dining options from American fast food to a variety of Asian restaurants.
The hotel itself opened about one year ago so it is clean, fresh and very modern. The interior design both of the public areas and the rooms is imaginative and interesting. Our suite is one of the best I have stayed in. Very comfortable, luxuriously appointed and features a massive bathroom.
This hotel has a great (about 18-20 meter) heated indoor swimming pool, a very well equipped gym, billiard and ping pong tables.
The staff could not be faulted. Friendly, courteous and thoroughly professional. Nothing was too much trouble. Service with a smile!
An earlier review referred to difficulties in communicating. English in the breakfast can be limited but usually okay. But, realistically, if one travels to a non English speaking country, one should be prepared to use some local language. A dictionary would be an advantage to reviewers such as the one above.

Room Tip: All good. Despite being on Dianchi Lu, a main road, the rooms are whisper quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick T
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having read positive reviews for Trip Advisor, I booked the Wyndham via Booking.com for my two nights' visit to Kunming on the way back to Hong Kong from Dali.

The Good:

- Very attentive door and bell services on arrival who greeted me while alighting from the cab.
- Efficient check-in by nice and friendly front desk staff who took the time to explain to me ways to get around in the hotel as I was first-timer.
- Spacious clean room, well appointed with name branded amenities and toiletries. Free wifi with good speed which didn't require log-in, free mini bar with reasonable stocks of soft drinks. Welcome pastries and a bottle of sparkling water ready for me in the room when I checked in was icing on the cake.
- Very responsive and quick to correct small hiccups i.e. shower head repair, and laundry item mis-placement. They even called afterwards to ensured everything was adequately followed up and to my satisfaction.

The Bad:

- Breakfast was not worth the money not only because of the limited varieties for the buffet, but also the quality ( or lack of it ) of food, and the indifferent waiting and service staff!
- Food selection was clearly orientated to Chinese / Asian taste buds with very limited dishes catering for foreign visitors who might also like some other choices.
- Green salad was just a few small plates of withering leaves. Although some of them had been sprayed with water, but the "effort" not only failed to restore crispness of the greens but also made the salad look wet and terrible. There was no olive oil or vinegar for the salad but 3 bowls of unnamed dressings. On request the unwilling waitress went to the kitchen and returned with a bowl of olive--the pickle fruit--saying that they don't use olive oil at all in the kitchen! I wonder what they would use for the western meals offered during lunch and dinner and in their formal western restaurant in the hotel.
- A few small plates of cold cuts which really looked left-over food from the night before! Choices of Chinese / Asian food was more but I was not impressed with the quality or the taste.
- Coffe shop receptionist was only interested in my room number--whether breakfast was included in the room rate, and afterwards I was left wandering around to find my seat. No one asked me for coffee or tea after I seated myself for more than 5 minutes. I finally approached the manned coffee machine and the waitress there was obviously not amused and reluctantly got me the coffee on repeated requests. There were only a handful of guests ( around 15 ) in the vast coffee shop when I visited in the 2nd morning for breakfast. No seating arrangement, no service of coffee, and all waiting staff had been hiding in the corners chatting or playing with the hand phone! Supervisor in black suit hid in the corner enjoying his breakfast the first morning, and non visible in the 2nd morning!
- After leaving my seat for 2 minutes for some more food, I returned only to discovered that the table had been cleared and I needed to request for the table to be set again by the waitress. It was later done with great deal of reluctance shown clearly on her poker face.

Overall the breakfast experience was anything but acceptable, and there are many other cheaper and better choices next door at the huge shopping mall.

The other considerations:

- Location of hotel is not in the city center or around any site seeing attractions. But it is next to a shopping complex where one can find dining and shopping outlet including a Carrefour hypermarket.
- Name of hotel is long and difficult to remember even in Chinese, and indeed it is worse in Chinese (10 Chinese characters in total) that even taxi drivers didn't know it. Every time riding a taxi back to the hotel I had to tell the taxi driver it was the hotel next to the shopping mall which is well known to all locals.
- Beware of the taxi already parked and waiting at the hotel entrance when hiring a cab to the airport! These people will asked for RMB120 (50% more than the meter fare of around RMB80 including toll fee. The problem is that they would likely tell you the charges only when you are on the way to airport and not easy to get out for another cab. So go hire one from the street.

Overall a new hotel with good hardware, spacious, clean and comfortable room. Service was good and very responsive to request, except perhaps that of the coffee shop which was simply not acceptable.

For the money I would try other highly rated more popular foreign chain hotels, or one next to local attractions of similar standings.

Hope the above is useful.

Philip

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Philip C
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Staff is helfull and friendly during our 2 times trip. January 25 and February 1. They even give us some welcoming cakes and even free drinks. For our second stay, the kids even got some free toys for the horse year.. For sure we will come back if we go to kunming

Room Tip: The rooms is spacious and water in bath is comfort
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank yitravel
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I booked through Agoda because the rooms were full on the hotel's website. Later I emailed to ask for the rate for an additional bed plus breakfast but it apparently took so long for communication between the two parties (Wyndham and Agoda) before Agoda replied. Nearer to my arrival, my sixth sense tells me that I should contact the hotel directly to make sure there is no hiccup on the day of check in and that was when my fears were proven true.

First, the internet customer service of Wyndham Group said I have to contact Wynham Kunming directly (without providing the email address). This coming from an international five star hotel? What is the point of the internet customer service if they can't help? You need to navigate through Wyndham Kunming's websites before finding the email address hidden somewhere.

Finally, when the hotel replied to my request, I was informed that the twin room cannot accommodate an additional bed so I had to change to another type of room configuration. But Agoda didn't mention that earlier.

We also arranged for the hotel transport from the airport. The 5 pax seater was luxurious! The seats were so comfortable and hot towels and mineral water was handed to us when we got into the car. It costs a whooping $1,800 RMB though.

Our rooms were on the high floor with good view of the city and fireworks. Rooms were nice, comfortable and with full amenities in the spacious bathroom. Huge bathtub and powerful shower and sufficient lighting. Only grouse is that the lights in the bathroom kept turning off by itself. It is some kind of energy saving device I think, but it is quite erratic, turning off even though you are standing in the line of the detection.

Room was also stuffy at times as the aircon is programmed at 24 deg cel so no matter how you adjust the control, it doesn't work.

Mini bar is complimentary and besides soft drinks, they also stock tsingtao beer and replenish daily which is a plus point as some hotels do not do that.

Caution though before using the hot water kettle. The ones in our rooms had residual floating in the water so I had to clean the insides and it was fine thereafter.

The breakfast is not impressive at all for a 5 star hotel. Only good thing is the fresh orange and water melon juice and the bread section. Praise to the bakery chef.

We had buffet on the eve of Chinese New Year and it was really bad for the exorbitant price they charged. What we had for dinner that night also served as part of the buffet breakfast the next morning. Yes, really.

So for readers of this review, conclusion is to stay here for the comfort and free wifi ;-) but dine somewhere else. There are Chinese restaurants opposite as well as the adjacent shopping mall (the seafood restaurant is good) which serves various types of cuisines. Or you can take a 5 miute cab ride for some street food. Behind the shopping mall, there are also street food and pubs.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank PALMS4EVER
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed on business for 3 nights and I was very impressed. I am a frequent visitor to Kunming and I have stayed in various hotel over the years and this "wins the prize" on all levels.

Rooms are very comfortable and everything works (unique in China). The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble, in addition the English spoken is very good.

When I checked in the Hotel GM was walking his hotel and talking to guest to get feedback

Good business hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Gman558
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed at the Wyndham in Kunming during a business trip (5 days), and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. Hotel staff were nice -- spoke English well -- and while the hotel still isn't very well-known among locals, its location is still pretty good, as it is in very close walking distance to a big, new shopping mall (that has a Carrefour and plenty of decent dining places). The hotel itself is remarkably opulent. The room I stayed in was spacious and grandly decorated. The service was also impeccable -- complimentary sweets brought to the room every night, and full complimentary access to the mini bar. Internet access (also complimentary) was good too. The only shortcoming I found was the buffet breakfast -- good variety but the taste of the food wasn't particularly to my liking. Looking forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business