Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Dongchuan Red Land
All reviews guest house bus station next morning beautiful scenery red earth tourist spot night tour sunny weather remote area scenic spots private car nice photos above sea level kunming airport different parts off the beaten track local guide
Reviewed December 10, 2014

Most people only stayed overnight at the Red Land. That was also my original plan but I like the hoteI so much that I ended up staying for three nights and enjoyed the very scenic walks of the area. It's a beautiful courtyard hotel with expensive wooden furniture and tasteful decorations. I think worth a visit even if you are not staying there. Twin/double room Rmb398 and two-bedroom for Rmb988. The most expensive in Dongchuan, but well worth it. They raise pigs and grow their own vegetables. Delicious organic meals! 红土地山居酒店 138 8818 2740. Not sure if it has an English name though! Lucky to get a good driver too. Mr. Ho 153 0885 5065. Nice and honest guy with a very clean new car.

Date of experience: December 2014
9  Thank Mandyfifi
Reviewed November 27, 2014

Dongchuan, the Red Land, is worth the bad road, the primitive accommodation. Nature wins! It is truly magnificent, still virtually undiscovered because of the poor facilities but I would not have missed this for anything. Preferable with a guide an driver

Date of experience: November 2014
3  Thank frasedbv
Reviewed November 21, 2014

There are only 2 buses a day at 7:50am and 8:30am. There is another way to get to Dongchuan with a more flexible schedule however it will require a taxi ride to Redland after arriving in Dongchuan. I took the 7:50am bus to Fahze from Kunming North Passenger Bus Station. You can only purchase tickets on the day so punctuation is crucial. Dongchuan Redland bus tickets costs ¥38 one way. The coach had plenty of stops. Journey took 3 hours which isn't too bad.

I stayed at the Hong Tu Ren Jia Jiu Dian. For my full review of the guesthouse check out: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298558-d6833238-Reviews-Hongtu_Renjia_Hotel-Kunming_Yunnan.html

I don't remember the names of each scenic spots. But we covered most spots in one half of an afternoon and one morning. We had plenty of rainfall during our visit however according to the locals after raining is the most beautiful time of Dongchuan red land. After raining the clouds disperses while the sun shines casting light and shadow on the red earth; what's beautiful is that it is always changing; every second is an entirely new picture. The sky also becomes incredibly blue!

Check out my blog for more details of my stay: www.judetsang.me/dongchuan-redland/

Here are some essential tips:

1. Day trip from Kunming is not recommended, unless you are on a tight schedule and do not care for taking many pictures. Hire a driver from Kunming for day trip.

2. Dongchuan Redland is free; no entrance fee.

3. There is nothing to do at night. Apart from stargazing.

4. Bring food and beverages before heading to Redland. There are hardly any stores.

5. Redland has an altitude of 1800-2600, so be careful not to do too many strenuous exercises.

6. No banks or atm in Redland. Guesthouses only accept cash, so bring enough!

7. Be careful not to step on farmlands as local farmers may charge you for trespassing.

8. It's a good idea to have all the names and addresses in Chinese script written down to make it easier for communicating if you're not fluent with Mandarin.

Date of experience: June 2014
19  Thank Jude T
Reviewed October 30, 2014

Take the bus at NORTH COACH STATION, KUNMING. 7.30 OR 8.30 BUS, Call Mdm Zhao to ensure room available. Should reach by 12.00 noon, Bus stops right at the home stay hotel. Please note, only one room with seating toilet, The rest squatting toilet. You have your lunch there and Mdm Zhao will cook for you. Choose you food in the fridge. At 3pm, her husband will fetch you to visit lovely scenery and sunset scene. At night, nothing much to do, all darkness. You only need a night stay. Please get Mdm Zhao to arrange your bus back to Kunming, when you arrive there.
The next morning Mdm Zhao's husband will ferry you to see the sun raising scene. Its is all organised. Not worry and car, room stay and food very reasonable. Very kind and friendly couples. Unfortunately they don't speak english but message and sign language will be able to get what you want

Date of experience: October 2014
15  Thank clarencekoh
Reviewed October 26, 2014

We spent two nights in late October 2014 at the guest house (红土情缘 Hong Tu Qing Yuan, Tel: 0086-13170612242, 0086-13211612477) and felt so much at home with Madam Zhao and her husband taking care of us - photos attached. Because I enjoyed it so much I felt obliged to write a review for them. On the morning of our trip from Kunming to the guest house, we bought the bus tickets from North bus station. The 7:50am tickets were sold out so we got the 8:30am bus from Kunming to FaZhe 法者. We were the only foreigners and we showed the driver the name of our guest house in Chinese. We had tried to buy the bus tickets the night before, but the North bus station closes at 8pm and we got there 5 minutes past 8. The bus ride itself is interesting as it stops to pick up people along the way. We had one toilet stop which I wouldn't advise foreigners to take if you can help it. Somewhere before reaching NiuJie 牛街, the closest big town below the hills, the short stretch of dirt road was quite muddy and we had to wait for an hour till repairs were carried out. We could see the 7:50am bus in the distance had got stuck and being pulled out by bulldozer. But soon we were on our way and the driver dropped us just right in front of our guest house while everyone on the bus was curiously looking at us. Madam Zhao made sure we were always very well fed and Mr Zhao took us around in his car to all the beautiful places this area is known for. Luckily for us the two days were sunny except for both sunrises which was too cloudy or drizzling. The bus back in the morning 9:40am was arranged by Madam Zhao and we reached Kunmming just around noon. There are buses every 20 minutes to the airport from the North bus station. Overall a very enjoyable trip and wonderful photographs.

Date of experience: October 2014