“Great value, good location!!”

Chenggong International Hotel
Ranked #50 of 2,692 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Rooms: Basic but it's only 178Y per night! cheapest hotel of my trip... and definitely worth it. The rooms are very clean. Didn't turn on the TV. Beds are pretty hard and forces you to sleep on your back, which apparently is good for you. There is plenty of space in the room itself, bathroom is a bit small but showerhead is powerful so no complaints from me. Complimentary bottled water although there is a limit of 4 a day. No fridge and no safe.

Service: The staff speak English which is very helpful. I wouldn't bother with the business centre for help with how to get places. They mostly sell their own tours which is fine.. and not unreasonably priced but we prefer to travel alone. We asked for help on how to get to Hua Shan and they said they didn't know and instead of helping us they tried to sell us the tour.

Location: I thought the location was fantastic. We spent 6 nights in Xi'an, and yes it would've been nice to be closer to the action but you weren't that far away that you couldn't walk there (20-30 min walk to Muslim Quarter). Taxis in Xi'an are cheap - we didn't spend more than 15Y to get around the city. You can catch the public bus to get to the train station (1Y). I only worked out how to get to the train station but not how to get back. Just look for the words 火车站 and you'll get there. We tried Bus number 14 but there were a few others. We got the shuttle bus from the airport (25Y) to Melody Hotel (next to the bell tower) and walked to Ibis. It was a good half hour walk especially since we weren't familiar with the streets. Make sure you buy a map at the airport (10Y). By chance, we found a taxi driver and he drove us to the airport for 100Y. Pretty cheap and efficient. (I got his business card so contact me if you're going to Xi'an. One of the more honest taxi drivers I thought..).

Don't bother with breakfast. Yes it's only 18Y but you can get much better food for 5Y. There is this fantastic restaurant a block away. It is usually quite busy with locals. Give it a try, we went there 3 times and always ordered too much food for about 30Y (for 2 people). Menu is in chinese but there are pictures!

Laundry is very expensive.. we found another one in a side street for 4Y per item of clothing (compared to 12Y at the hotel).

Free internet in the room and lobby and two computers in the lobby were definitely very helpful to us since we were trying to get places ourselves an always needed access to the internet.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jwyh

Reviewed May 13, 2010

The hotel is fine for what you pay. I paid 178 yuan per night, and that gave me a double bed, a clean room, clean bathroom and absolutely no frills except free internet (though no wifi).
The tv only had one channel available for me, the hotel channel...
Breakfast sets you back 18 yuan and that is just about the value of it - it is very basic with no things appealing, really.
I really missed a in-room safe - it seems so outdated to encounter a hotel without it!
And the beds are very hard, probably the hardest I have met in China - and that tells!
Would I stay here again - yeah, probably if I were on a tight budget...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mkabell
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Everything in this hotel is very standardized and clean. Free cable internet access is available in the rooms. Public-use computers are available downstairs in the lobby, along with wifi. The front desk is fast and friendly, with a good command of English. The western/eastern mixed breakfast is decent, but priced somewhat high for Chinese standards. The price of the rooms, averaging at ~200Y per night, is pretty sweet given some of the other options. Having stayed at many other hotels in China, I have to say this: sanitation and decent service is hard to come by, so finding a place with both excellent sanitation and great service is, at times, a god-send. So it is with Hotel Ibis.

Very close to the train station (which is great because the buses to the Terracotta Warrior Museum depart and arrive from here), and close to famous buddhist tower / adjacent park. Fairly close to the bar street. I never spent more than 20Y taking a cab to any particular destination. That said, none of these places is necessarily within 'walking distance'. It would be more of a hike. In any case, if staying here, expect to take either take cabs or buses, paying the minimum charge to go to most tourist attractions.

The only really negative about this place is that it's not within true walking distance of anything notable. Because there's nothing that notable in it's vicinity, don't expect a 'room with a view'.

Protip: Don't waste your money on cab rides (or even professional tourist buses) to either the Terracotta Warrior Museum or to/from the hotel. Both are pretty far from the city, and while you can probably still live with the cost of taking said modes of transport if you're using a western currency, it is nowhere near the best value, and is just asking for trouble if you pick the wrong cabbie. The best value is this:

1. To the Terracotta Warrior Museum: Go to the train station. Look for either a really, really long line to the south-east of the train station, or signs that say '兵马佣' that lead to MANY very large buses. Wait in line. **Avoid any and all touts who will inevitable harass you about tours or cab rides. Don't get scammed.** Wait for the official bus service people to put you on a bus. Once on the bus, pay the ~20 or 30Yuan. The ride is about two hours long, and you'll get off at the 2nd or 3rd stop. Easy.

2. Going to the airport: From the hotel, take an approximately 10Y cab ride to the airport shuttle bus (I can't quite remember where this is located, so you'll have to ask. I do know, however, that it's relatively close to the famous bar street). Again, a 30-40 minute ride that will be a fraction of the cost of taking a cab.

3. When visiting the famous buddhist pagoda, be aware that you'll have to pay about 3 different entrance fees before you can actually get into and ascend the tower. If you don't have a student id, this will set you back about 150Y if I remember correctly.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2010

It was difficult to select an hotel to stay in Beijing. Local hotels are cheaper, but I was looking for three things:
- A comfortable and not expensive western hotel-experience: Very good. Very cheap (~US$30 double room+2 breakfasts). It is in a big street, but is quiet at night. We couldn't watch TV: very difficult system, tv remote control in Chinese). Modest western breakfast: bread, butter, juice, tea, yogurt, jam, coffee). Chinese breakfast available with much more options. The staff speaks English (not fluently), it's very difficult to have a conversation by phone with them.
- Internet availability: Good. Cable in the room, slow but, in general, worked with out netbook. Twitter and Facebook blocked by chinese gov, but Gmail worked. Skype didn't work, since internet was too slow.
- Good location: Good. It's near by taxi to the railway station (~10-15 min). Xi'an is a very nice city, not too crowded, so you can easily move by inexpensive taxis.

The room and bathroom was very clean and modest. Good shower.
If you are looking for a luxury hotel, this is not your place. If you are looking for a clean room and decent western breakfast, this is your place.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Check-in was easy. Room was great - we had a double bed and a single, room for our bags and that was about it - but it was exactly what we expected. Very clean. We basically arrived in the afternoon, checked in and then walked a block to the City Wall. Walked along it for a while then went to the main sights (bell tower etc.). We headed back later that night and it was quite a walk back (probably half an hour - we had 6 and 8 yr olds with us though). Grabbed some breakfast at a street vendor across the road - delicious and just about cost nothing (fed 6 of us and that was with two hot milky drinks and was under 10yuan). Checked out the next morning - staff were helpful and friendly (speaking english was not a problem). Hotel was perfect for what we wanted - somewhere clean to sleep for a very quick trip - and it was extremely cheap to stay at!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Hotel Ibis is a modest hotel. It was very clean and the reception staff all spoke english. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was OK and served from 4 am until noon to accommodate everyone. I like the location for access to the city wall at the southwest corner as I spent an entire day walking the wall. From the Airport take the shuttle bus #1 to the Melody Hotel then a taxi on the meter was only 6.8 Yuan. I used the tour company in the lobby and was disppointed that there were several shopping stops on the tour and only about 2 hours at the terra cotta warriors. I heard similar stories from most people who took tours. Lonely Planet suggests a minibus from the railway station and I wish I'd done that.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Ananda100
Reviewed March 29, 2010

This hotel located in very convinient place: on Heping Lu inside the city walls. It's 15 mins on foot from Bell Tower, few stops on bus straight ahead from Railways staion and few stops straight ahead from Big Wild Goose pagoda. So you easily can get to all main spots in Xian.

The hotel itself is newly opened and rooms are very clean. There were a TV, table with a chair, aircon, kettle, sneakers, toothbrushes and toothpaste in the room.

Breakfast (15 RMB) was pretty good for its price. There were some noodles, cherry tomatoes, chineese dumplings, eggs, yoghurt, soups, tosts, coffee, tea and some juices.

There were cable internet in rooms and Wi-Fi connection in lobby.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for cheap and comfortable stay in Xian.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple