“A bunch of muppets- and not the Jim Henson type”

Chenggong International Hotel
Ranked #44 of 2,611 Hotels in Xi'an
Nashville, Tennessee
“A bunch of muppets- and not the Jim Henson type”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you are wanting a cheap hotel to just lay your head to sleep and have a shower, this may be an option. If you expect anything else then look elsehwere.

I've never stayed anywhere with staff so incompetant. I had prebooked train tickets to Beijing and was advised they would be delivered to the hotel. When we arrived I asked if they had arrived and was told they had not. I checked back later that evening and was again told no. I decided to call the travel agency however the phone didn't work. I went to reception, they told me I needed to put money on my "phone account" which I did, went back upstairs to my room and tried to call again, again the phone didn't work. So I went back down to reception, they couldn't figure out why the phone wasn't working, I showed them the phone number and asked if they could make the call from reception, they then told me it wasn't a phone number but an address and attempted to dismiss me. After, unfortunately, making a song and dance, finally they attempted to dial the "address" and low and behold, guess what? The phone rang! And it was my travel agency! And they advised me that they had already delivered the train tickets! And the receptionist opened her draw and wow, there was the envelope with my name on!

Location isn't that great, rooms are basic, don't even bother with breakfast. I won't even go into the fact that they charged me twice for the room. I was just happy to get my train tickets... Eventually :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nalevde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This hotel is a very good choice considering the price (less than $33 at the last minute using agoda, but about the same at the desk)and the location (mainland China). For anyone familiar with traveling in China while NOT staying in high-end hotels, this hotel will be a welcome relief from the usual places. At first glance, the shower doors that don't reach to the floor seem like they will be ineffective at keeping the water in the stall. However, with a little careful shower-head positioning, the doors work fine, and the bathroom floor will stay dry. (This probably sounds strange for people not used to staying at run-of-the-mill hotels in China.) The towels (including surprisingly clean-looking facecloths) and sheets were clean and intact. There is no carpet in the room which is a great thing - hotel carpets in China are often outrageously dirty.
The room and bathroom are not very big, but are efficiently arranged (in a rather Ikea-like way) with compact shelving, "desk" space, "night stand" space, seating, closet, mirror, toiletry space next to the sink and in the shower, and towel rod and "hooks." (All the terms placed in quotation marks are done so for the purposes of giving a shorthand description.) The inside of the electric water kettle was actually very clean-looking, and you didn't have to fear the "pulp" (a combination of scale and debris) that can come out of the kettles in some hotels.
We were able to use the internet in our room, even though it was rather slow.
Check-in and check-out went quickly and easily, and all the staff we dealt with were friendly, helpful, and efficient. Some of them speak English quite well. They stored our 2 very large gear bags for us while we did an overnight trip to Hua Shan, for no charge. (We did stay for a night at Ibis on either side of the Hua Shan trip, however, so I don't know if that made a difference.) We didn't have breakfast or try the cafe, so can't comment on that. Taxi access was ok.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed in IBIS Xi'an China for 4 nights recently. It's in a good convenient location close to the train station and super markets. Also not too hard to get a taxi if needed. Room was clean. The buffet breakfast was reasonably good value. Price for the room also cheap compared to some other hotels in this class. Only thing I did not like was the bathroom which was too small. Overall a very good hotel for a short stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
canada
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Me and my daughter stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. Spacious and clean room. Good location and lots of local eat place nearby.Too bad there is no wifi in room and internet in common area was very slow and only 2 so sometime we had to wait or just leave it.Breakfast was a bit expensive. We try once and there were not too many choices for the price we paid. Overall we had a good and confortable stay for the price we paid. I wish there would be tiny fridge in room so we can had cold water in hot day. I would recomment this hotel.

Room Tip: close to bus and train station.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 1/2 weeks and found it to be clean and well managed. Most of the front desk staff spoke at least some English and were very helpful. I have allergies to scented products (multiple chemical sensitivity) and after checking a few rooms, found one that wasn't perfumed for the first night, however was on the busy street side. For the rest of our stay we requested, and were given, a room on the inner courtyard which was much quieter. The cleaning staff used no scented products when cleaning our room and also accommodated my request to not spray scented cleaner in the hallway near our room.

The location of this hotel is convenient to the sites within the city walls and some good restaurants. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the main street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed September 24, 2013

It's my first time staying at an Ibis chain and I enjoyed it. Large clean room, very helpful reception staff. The hotel is simple, but it has everything you need. I think the only disappointment was that their wifi was only available in common areas and it absolutely sucked.
In terms of location, it's on the direct bus line from the main train station and a walking distance to one of the entrances to the wall. But it's away from the subway and the downtown (Muslim Quarter and Bell Tower). Buses are fast and a very cheap way to go around, but you would have to figure them out first.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple