“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 2,353 Hotels in Xi'an
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel with walking access to the other hotels in the remin square complex. 3 nights of western like relief during 10 days immersion in China. I can recommend the buffet in the Sofitel, pricey but skip lunch and you'll eat your fill.

Only downsides were handle falling off shower and being charged extra for my 4yr old to have breakfast buffet, these were small complaints.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
SofitelXian, Manager at Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to feedback following your recent stay with us. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Meantime, we appreciate your sharing your concerns, we have brought it to the attention of relative deprtmants.

thank you again for your feedback, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Your sincerely,

Mercure on Xi'an Renmin Seuare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Another long overdue review... Stayed at this hotel in June, from the outset when I first contacted them about getting form the airport to the hotel, their communication was prompt and professional.

Firstly the room - despite booking a non-smoking room - did smell of stale cigarette smoke, which can be unbearable and I had thought of asking for another room but the next day, the smell was hardly noticeable.

Breakfasts are great so much choice and the staff are super efficient in clearing tables and offering more coffee.

The rooms are older style but clean and comfortable. Enjoyed a few drinks at the Sofitel hotel (within the same complex) as the Mercure only has a breakfast room.

Evening meals were enjoyed at a local mall within 10 walk and they were thoroughly enjoyable as all the staff in the food-mall went out of their way to help with translations of menus.

All the staff at this hotel were so helpful it made for a great stay in Xian.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, while I noted your good compliments on the hotel, I regret to note your displeasure over the guest room and the inconvenience caused by the cigarette smell. Please accept our apologies of any inconvenience caused.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Yours sincerely

Mercure on Renmin Square Xi'an
Lausanne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our stay was nice. The situation of the hotel is fine. You can walk to the muslim area, the mosquee, the drum and bell towers. The Renmin square is privatised for the 3 Accor hotels, safe and quiet. The room was in par with the price paid. The bed was very hard. The hardest we had during our trip in China. Staff was nice and spoke good english.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
SofitelXian, Manager at Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mercure Xi'an on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

At Mercure, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it..

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely,

Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

It's the cheapest hotel in the Renmin Square complex so it's not, of course, five star. But it's perfectly acceptable, with clean rooms and a decent range of Asian and European foods at breakfast.

Assuming you are visiting Xian as a tourist, or on business, it's more than good enough for the time you will spend here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BequiaWhispers
SofitelXian, Manager at Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure on Renmin Square Xian. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I booked the hotel just for a day as I had to stay in Xian for my connecting flight.

Location was very convenient as it is fairly near to all the attractions.

Room is FUNCTIONAL (if you are there for a business trip and not fussy about the room). Basic creature comforts.

If you are there for sightseeing and want to come back to a lovely comfortable hotel room , this is not that place. (Sorry I have to be frank)

Shower area have a very funky mouldy smell but water stream pressure was good.

My room's air conditioned system somehow got warm & stuffy at about 10pm. Thought something was wrong , so I called housekeeping. To my horror, the housekeeping lady told me that the central air conditioning is switched off that is why the room is so warm.

Why in the world does a 4 star hotel switch off central air conditioning at an alloted timing ? To save electricity ?

Stayed in other Mercure hotels around the world and this had to be the worst in my book.

Saving grace was the Touch Spa situated adjacent to the mercure. Massuers were professional and massage was really good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to feedback following your recent stay with us. I was very concerned to learn that our facilities and services of the hotel was not up to your expectations. I am truly sorry that this was a disappointment and please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of the relevant departments.

Your sincerely,

Mercure on Xi'an Renmin Seuare
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Had 4 wonderful nights in this hotel located in a secured complex with the other 2 sister hotels (namely Sofitel and Grand Mercure). Our room is big but can't understand why no rollaway bed was allowed for my daughter! We tried their breakfast on our first morning and found the spread to be quite standard and boring. Staff are very polite and speaks sufficient English. Location is pretty good but need a bit of walking about 10-15 minutes. To the right, you will end up at Bell Tower and Muslim Street and to the left, you will end up with a street of departmental stores, supermarkets and food court (Ren Ren Le building). There is Bank of China across the road where you can withdraw money from their ATMs. Crossing the road to get money is a challenge though!! We got ripped off on our first night dinner at a Cantonese Restaurant - sorry can't remember the name but is on the direction to Muslim Street where RMB160 was charged for chinese tea!!! Otherwise, this hotel is highly recommended in Xian.

Room Tip: Pick a room that is away from the road as you can still hear the traffic at 10.00pm. You really nee...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bibby W
SofitelXian, Manager at Mercure Xian on Renmin Square, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guest,

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely,

Mercure Xi'an on Renmin Square
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I booked thru expedia. I pre-paid ~$160 US $ for 3 nights stay. It didnt not included breakfast.
I am a solo traveler and stayed from May 28 to May 31, 2013.

I dont remember anything but good things about this hotel.

Positives:
*Polite, English speaking staff. Very helpful with directions and maps. One of the best staff in general of all my trip to China. Knowledgeable and always polite. Great English.
*They asked you if you want a taxi or public transporation. I always used the buses, and metro. I basically walked out of the complex, made a right and waited for the # bus that the staff told me. That is how I got into the center of town every day. I believe it was like 1/2 a yuan one way. Then, I will get a bus back and just say "sofitel" and they knew...or show them the little name of the hotel. This is a big complex of 3 hotels with many restaurants. As mentioned before, this is the "cheapest" hotel of the 3.
*Comfortable bed.
*AC Worked fine, plenty of hot water
*Super clean, super nice bed sheets
*Bathroom/Room supplies: Soap, tootbrush, it has a hair dryer, iron, etc,
*Mini refrigerator ...very useful, i found a supermarket and purchased lots of fruits! =)

Tip:
I asked the front desk about the cheapest way to get to the airport. And they told me that in front of a hotel (sorry, I dont rember the name of the hotel, but is across the street from the Bell tower plaza....the same plaza that has the starkbucks and the Haagen Dazs) a bus departs every 20 min. And, it was very cheap. I am guessing less than $8US. Is one of those big "touristic" buses..and it gets busy quick...but they have 1 every 20min, so just leave with enough time that you will make it. Then, is a direct route to the airport.

Xian was one of my favorites cities in China. The Metro was being constructed and expanded. I dont speak any chinesse/etc and was able to travel alone and used the public transportation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo