I travelled to Xi’an with my parents and brother in celebration of my father’s 70th birthday so we had to take into consideration a suitable hotel that would be comfortable for a man of his age and ended up choosing this hotel as it was a name we recognised. We had been in Beijing then headed out to Xi’an to visit the Terracotta Army for a few days before travelling back to Beijing. In Beijing we stayed at a 5* hotel which was disappointing in quality and service. As this was a 4* hotel we had serious doubts on what to expect of a standard 4* hotel in China – we were horribly wrong!
We took the overnight train from Beijing and arrived around 7am. We took a taxi to the hotel and hoped they would let us check in early as we were all tired from travelling. There was no hesitation and they checked us in immediately which we were extremely grateful. We booked Deluxe Twin Bed Rooms and it was worth that little bit extra. The rooms were very spacious, clean and all the usual amenities were provided. Certain spots could do with a lick of paint but overall it was pleasant. After a 16 hour train ride on hard sleepers we didn’t take it for granted! After we checked in we went to the restaurant for breakfast. It was included in our stay and we paid for the additional morning – we were not disappointed. They had a huge spread of Western and Local food, juices, fruits and drinks including an egg station for omelettes and fried eggs. The waitresses were extremely polite and as soon as we finished our teas and coffees they were right there asking if we wanted another refill. Wonderful service and a special thanks to Lisa!!
The hotel is located in Renmin Square with about 4 other hotels so it was a quiet and secure location. It was about 25 minute walk from the centre of town where the main restaurants and shops were and about the same distance from the train station.
What impressed us the most during our stay were the staff and the hospitality. They were courteous, helpful and always on hand to help. Everyone we encountered, including Housekeeping and Maintenance, all spoke English which we found lacking in our 5* hotel in Beijing. I would like to especially mention and thank Selena Wu who went above and beyond. We had trouble finding a way to book our train tickets back to Beijing from the UK so I emailed her in advance and she went out of her way to sort the tickets out for us which we there waiting for us when we checked in. Her assistance made our stay stress free and much more enjoyable than the hustle and bustle of Beijing.
To us we felt that this was a 5* hotel and I wouldn’t hesitate recommending to anyone staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure on Renmin Square Xian is a comfortable, elegantly appointed hotel, featuring 113 rooms, as well as dining and meeting facilities. Located in the grounds of Renmin Square, in the heart of the commercial and government district, the hotel is minutes away from the major shopping centres and cultural sites and is ideal for all travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Xian on Renmin Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure On Renmin Square Xian Hotel Xi`An
- Mercure Xi An
- Mercure Hotel Xi An
- Mercure Xian On Renmin Square China/Shaanxi