“Great hotel & great value”

Sofitel Xian on Renmin Square
Ranked #8 of 2,692 Hotels in Xi'an
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I generally love Sofitels and Sofitel Xian didn't disappoint. It was a great value for the high standard offered. I recommend taking the club room (more space and access to the lounge with happy hours drinks & food between 1730-1930 and a great choice). Don't really pay extra for city view .. the city itself is not worth it. Xian is a bit industrial and don't have nice building in the centre. So personnally I wouldn't pay extra for it.
Generally the service offered by the hotel is very good. Very nice swimminpool and gym. I personnally didn't really like the changing room and sauna/steam room area as it was all dark with very little light.. didn't feel very clean (where I'm sure it was).

The cafe Azur (red pillars) is good value for money and lots of choice. I also recommend the Japanese and Morrocan restaurants in the other wing of the hotel. These are very good restaurants.
To visit the Terracota Warriors, the hotel has an office arranging visits. They organised a private tour (guide + car) for us. you can negotiate prices too! It cost us 100$ for the two of us for 3 sites stops (Wild Goose Pagoda + Terracota Warriors + Hot Springs). These are the most recommended sites to see!
Generally the hotel staff was very friendly, helpful and offered a great service.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Pascal G
Write a ReviewReviews (2,393)

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stayed a couple nights while visiting Xi'an, overall a very good place. Swimming pool with a jacuzzi is a plus and very nice after a long day visiting xi'an. Wired internet in the room is not free (50 CNY per 24 hour). Concierge was honest on the different tour prices (the hotel's are quite pricey).

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I cannot imagine another place to stay in Xi’an. Overall, the city is dirty and more polluted than any place I have ever been. Unlike Shanghai and Beijing, the city does not cater to English speaking visitors, so if you get off the tourist path, you are in trouble. The Sofitel, however, is a beautiful and secure facility that is as Western as any place you will ever find. The rooms are spacious and the restaurant food amazing. The breakfast buffet was easily the best of our entire vacation. Room service was prompt as was housekeeping. There were some renovations which posed a minor nuisance, but nothing major. My only real complaint is that the staff speaks very poor English. There was a nice French intern at the front desk who helped translate. Beyond that, it was tough to communicate. We were a bit frustrated when we asked for a late check out and were billed for ½ day stay. The hotel was largely empty, so I was shocked at this fee. Were it not for that extra fee, we would give them five stars. As is, four.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Profguy
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for three nights at the end of June 2010. We had three separate rooms, all of which were excellent - clean, spacious, comfortable. Our check-in was quick. The breakfast buffet is superb - it has both American-style food, but the highlights are the soup and the dim sums. Don't miss out. The coffee is quite bad, though. But who comes to China for coffee :-)

My comparison group is good US hotels and this one competes easily. But, I also stayed at four other hotels in China during the visit and this one was the best. It also was the only hotel in China out of the five with wi-fi in the rooms (albeit for a fee, but it is good if you are jet lagged and wpould like to surf the web in the middle of the night). I recommended this hotel to friends who were there at the beginning of July 2010 and they loved it too.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Its very hard to comunicate with the staff as they do not speak english, it was frustrating.

Reviewed June 30, 2010

Overall, our stay at this hotel was quite good. The room was pretty spacious (luxury room category). There was a love seat and bay-type windows which had a couple soft cushions each for sitting. The bed area transitioned to the love seat area which transitioned to the desk area. All in all in was quite spacious-feeling. There was a small walk-in closet off the vestibule (for lack of better word). This small walk-in closet allowed the living area to actually feel like a living area (I get sick of seeing suitcases in hotel rooms). :) The vestibule was nice, but I wish that it were smaller to allow more width in the living areas and to expand the bathroom a bit. In terms of size, the shower was definitely not great. The shower stall was very small – even for my smaller Asian wife, no less a fat guy like me. :P In terms of space and layout, the fire escape floor plan suggests that the rooms are slightly different in shape and layout…so your room may differ.

There was a nice amount of tourist information in the room – including books as well as handy pocket-sized maps. The windows could be opened - - which was a shock to me, but welcomed during the mornings after an air-con night. I was tempted to open the windows at night (I hate air-con), but was glad that I did not after I killed a massive mozzie one night in the bathroom. I don’t know if the road-side is very loud, but we had a garden/fountain side room and it was very quiet…so opening the windows just let in pleasant sounds of the fountain. I also found the Renmin Square area to be fairly nice. In terms of location, I found it well located - - however, it may seem that things are walking distance on maps – but that is deceiving and I recommend getting taxis…..most everything of interest is 5-10 mins away by taxi.

The service was overall pleasant and quick…although I found the concierge staff to be a bit older, experienced, and better in the main wing (East) versus the West. The Moroccan restaurant was quite good – the local food and mezze were quite nice. In terms of local food, the dumplings were the best that we tasted in Xi’an. For Muslims, it is nice that this restaurant serves Halal food (however, it should be noted that they serve alcoholic drinks for those who are sensitive to that).

On the downside, the TV was quite old and a bit small – but serviceable. There are not a lot of choices of English entertainment channels – except for movie channels like HBO and Lotus Macau (pretty good movies sometimes on LM). HBO decided to show Tropic Thunder about 7 times during our 4 day stay…gets boring when trying to eat breakfast or relax at night The bed was only OK – and it seems that it depends on a very thick quilt to give it the appearance of softness. The pool area was very disappointing. The indoor setting feels cramped and not relaxing at all. There is a table tennis set, which is nice - - if you are ever lucky enough to get to use it (very popular). There does not seem to be a kiddie pool – which leads the so-called Jacuzzi to become a kids’ pool complete with bulky flotation devices in your face. When I was there, a group of rowdy American male university students invaded the pool – backward flipping into the pool, having chicken fights, etc. Pretty much anyone who wanted to swim could forget it. Strangely enough a fitness club manager was there watching all of this and did nothing to intervene. I only mention this as I believe it may be a common occurrence, as there are many high school and university groups doing quick stops in Xi’an on their China tours. Finally, we were in the other wing (West I believe), so the long walk to the pool seemed quite odd compared to a typical hotel experience (there is a buggy available between the wings).

Overall, despite some downsides, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BanaPona
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Best "western hotel" we stayed in during our trip to China. Room was huge, with living room area, the biggest bed I have ever seen, which as a bonus was also extremely comfortable. Bathroom was huge - shower and tub, and well appointed. Pool area was nice as well - indoors, but it had an outdoor feel due to plants and lighting. Food was also very good, with breakfast included in our reasonable rates. Staff was also very helpful. On the downside, the travel agency upstairs was pushy in trying to recommend guides, and would not use their services again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple